“Convinient Fun Stay at the OBX” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur

Save Saved
You added Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur to your Saves list
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   201 North Virginia Dare Trail, Kill Devil Hills, NC 27948   |
Ranked #5 of 19 hotels in Kill Devil Hills

583 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
GREENSBORO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Just wanted a clean bed, got a great bed, great view of the ocean, great breakfast, great service. I will stay again when in the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

DIManagement, Director of Sales at Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind comments concerning your recent stay with us on the Outer Banks. I am so please that you enjoyed your stay with us while visiting. We will be happy to have you visit with us again and please feel free to contact me directly and I would be happy to help make reservations for your next stay! Thank you--Tonia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

The common area is equipped with a computer and a fireplace. Breakfast is pretty standard but good. The staff are very nice and accomodating. The only problem was the noise created by the fridge in our room! It was super loud. Flat screen TVs and great water pressure. What more could you want from a beach front hotel?

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to the Outer Banks. I'm very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and have just now dispatched maintenance to the room I believe you were in during your stay to check the refrigerator. We hope to see you again soon and when you are able to return and visit, please feel free to contact me and I will be happy to help make reservations for your stay. Thank you, Tonia
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

First a confession: I grew up on the Outer Banks in the '70's, '80's & '90's, before the boom that turned into something, in my mind, more akin to Virginia Beach than an eastern North Carolina barrier island. This hotel has been there since way before I moved there and used to have a sister property that was taken out by a waterspout in the late '70's. What it lacks in modern amenities, it makes up for in charm and hospitality. I stay here when I go down there frequently and for the money, wouldn't really stay anywhere else.

The main lobby has original wood paneling and floors, a big brick fireplace (which is lit on cool fall/winter nights and is the perfect place to sip the free hot cider and read a book) and the feel of old beach charm. The rooms, while more modern than the lobby, would be spare by current standards. They are not however uncomfortable or dated. I've stayed in many of the rooms - from the basic double bed one's above the lobby to the deluxe suites complete with a full kitchen. All of them have comfortable beds & pillows, decent linens, clean bathrooms and enough room to hold some beach gear & clothes for a short vacation. The suites are perfect if you stay longer or as an alternative to a cottage; there's an exterior balcony/walkway off these rooms and each room has a set of wood chairs outside the door.

The location is within walking distance of a local store (Stop N Shop) which has everything you need from deli sandwiches to beach chairs & health care needs. Duck Donuts, Slice Pizza and a bike store with beach cruiser rentals are also within easy reach & I highly recommend all of them.

The hotel staff is always friendly and ready to recommend restaurants or places to see. The beach in front of the hotel is great for lazying your day away staring at the ocean.

There's really no reason to stay at a modern hotel on the Banks when places like the Wilbur Wright (and several others) still purvey their special brand beach charm.

Room Tip: Any really though the suites (all on the south side) are a good value for 2 rooms with a full kitche...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
DIManagement, Director of Sales at Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
We appreciate your returning year after year to stay with us and you certainly have stayed in many of our different room types. We really thank you for your kind comments and are happy that you continue to enjoy your stay with us every year. We thank you for coming to visit and will be happy to see you again the next time! Thank you, Tonia
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

One of the most comfortable stays. Fire in the sitting room was awsome and very comforting. Breakfast was nice and easy. The lady Jo from N.J. that was keeping the food for breakfast available, made the trip feel like I was staying with family. My wife and I really loved sitting and talking with her. Will go back because of how she made us feel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Thank you so much for staying with us during your trip to the Outer Banks. I will make sure I share your comments with Joan. It's quite funny because we have many guests who actually do return every year to see Joan. We love this time of year as well when we have the fireplace going as well as the hot apple cider and cookies. We will be happy to see you again and please feel free to contact me when you start planning your visit and I will be happy to help make reservations for your next stay. Thank you, Tonia

Been to Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur? Share your experiences!