“I tru$ted my father-in-law. Bad move.” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Buffet, Late Night
Manchester, NH
“I tru$ted my father-in-law. Bad move.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

So my father-in-law loved this place, having visited a week prior to us. The seafood and deserts were mediocre. Perhaps I'm used to the fantastic seafood up in New England. Scallops (if they are) were poor, and were flavored with lemon, which I don't like. Fried oysters were fishy tasting. I had some fantastic oysters down the road at Got Your Crabs back in April. The only thing that was decent were the crab legs, since they were just cooked, without the cooks touching them any further. Deserts were average as well - the Baklava was horrible. We paid $100 for three of us (two adults, one child), with no drinks. The service was very efficient, although not overly friendly. Glad we got a booth within the bar area, otherwise we would have been jammed into a large area with lots of others. Go elsewhere for good seafood, and save a few bucks.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Spartanburg, South Carolina
“One of the best buffets, but it's still a buffet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We had a dinnertime meal here with family and friends. All together, we were a group of eight people. In the spirit of transparency, I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of buffet style dining. So that influences my review.

The good:
The property is easy to find, has plenty of parking, is very attractive and is generally clean. We were seated immediately. There is a good variety of selections, both for land lubbers and sea farers. The fried scallops were the best I've ever had. And I could eat all I wanted. I also found the baked chicken quite tasty. I'm not much of a crab leg person, or clam person. But several in my party ate a frighteningly large amount of them, and said they were good. I also tried the fried shrimp, and some of the vegies and side items, and generally found them rather good. The wait staff were really on their game, keeping our beverages filled and taking empty plates. They also went above and beyond by helping us deal with "an issue" we had with our infant grandson while there.

The not-so-good:
The hostess who seated us was indifferent, or maybe even annoyed, to have to seat us. To me, at $32 per person, it's a bit pricey unless you really like the expensive stuff, like crab legs. Some items, like the mac-and-cheese, were so-so, just like you'd expect at any buffet (that would cost less). The desserts were okay, but nothing special. Annoyingly, some of the buffet items were mislabeled, especially in the dessert area.

The bad:
Here is where my non-buffet bias shows. I didn't like the crowd, the close proximity of the tables, the noise level, or having to bob and weave on trips to and from the table. But in my defense, I've been to another Captain George's (Myrtle Beach, SC), where the property was far more spacious, and subdivided into smaller rooms with fewer tables. The experience was very different, and far better. Had it not been for that, I would have grudgingly given this place a 5, despite the price.

In summary, it's a really good buffet, if that's your thing. And if all-you-can-eat crab legs are what you crave, it's probably the best deal around.

• Visited July 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pittsburgh
“Very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

I ate here with a group of 10 people. The hostess was not very nice, but our waitress made up for that. The variety amazed me. The salmon was very overcooked, but I imagine that it would be hard to cook salmon the appropriate way and then serve it on a buffet. Everything else was very good and it was well worth the money. I think we spent one hour just eating crab legs.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
pa
“fair feast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

This was very expensive, and not that different from any other buffet. I've had better elsewhere. Beautiful inside. The serve was very good.

Visited May 2014
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“We'll be back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

The place was very nice and the food was tasty. The crab pulled right out of the legs... Amazing!! They didn't have a big enough selection on the buffet though. You could've ordered off the menu for "American food," but I wasn't going to get the buffet plus a meal. I would've liked more sides to go with the buffet. We will definitely go back though because it was much more classy than the buffet up the road.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere