“Great Place for a Wedding!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront

You added Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront to your Saves list
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1701 South Virginia Dare Trail, P.O. Box 2716, Kill Devil Hills, NC 27948   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Pittsburgh, PA
“Great Place for a Wedding!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

If you want to have a beach wedding, this is the place to do it! Despite the bad reviews, we got a good value for our money here. The hotel is older but the rooms have been redone with new drapes & spreads- pretty too. Many pillows on the bed & lots of towels, all fresh & clean. I am very picky about cleanliness & felt very comfortable here. We had the reception there. The staff was very helpful & eager to make the reception area pretty. The food was very good. The desert fruit was a beautiful display of choc. covered strawberries, not just a fruit bowl. Guests enjoyed the food, tasty & large portions for bigger eaters. The self serve bar & appetizers were all arranged with style. We also had a brunch the next morning that was tasty, after the staff freshened the linens, using the same flowers from the reception. Servers were very attentive to guests needs. In short , the wedding was lovely. They do allow dogs, but aside from an occasional bark or a puddle in the elevator, you would never know it. There are no odors since the staff is very vigilant. The staff is what makes this place a pleasure. Also within walking distance of eateries. With the ocean right outside your door, what more could you want? We were very pleased with everything & it didn't break the bank. We will stay there again next year to celebrate our anniversary!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

I stay in hotels alot, mostly for work and some for leisure trips, and don't write alot of reviews but I felt compelled to write one for this hotel since I believe that all of the negative reviews that have been written are completely unfair. After reading the reviews, I almost cancelled our reservation but my husband and I were traveling with our dog so that didn't leave us alot of choices. So, we took a chance and were pleasantly surprised. The staff was friendly and attentive, our room was spotless the entire time, and the location was spectacular! Now, this is not a 5-star resort but for the price we paid during off-peak season we couldn't have been happier. If I had one suggestion, it would be that the patios on the first floor where they allow dogs could use an enclosure but other than that everything was great.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

My mom and I just got back from the Outer Banks. We arrived there on Wednesday and decided to check and see if we could stay at the Ramada. We got a great deal--$65.90 per night for two nights; because we are state government employees. Anna, the front desk clerk, was very nice and hospitable and even arranged for us to change rooms when we found out there was a barking dog in the room next to us. We were very satisfied with our room--it was clean, comfortable and convenient. This hotel is oceanfront, but not all rooms have an oceanfront view. We had one with a dune view, which was fine with us for our rate. Besides, the ocean and beach is right in front of the hotel and one can walk right out to it.

This hotel does have a lounge/restaurant. We were not too enthused about the restaurant. The food was just mediocre for the price--but Johnny Mack, our waiter, was quirky and nice.

I'm sorry that so many people have had bad experiences at this hotel, but as someone who is a FREQUENT traveler and who travels all over the state of Kentucky for business and around the country for leisure, I feel that I do have enough experience in staying at hotels to say this was a great hotel for us. I disagree with one poster below who stated that the only way a person could claim this was a good hotel is if they have never stayed at a hotel before. Because I've stayed at plenty--and I worked at one for over 3 years. I would definitely stay at this Ramada again!

• Stayed September 2009
Roanoke, Va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

My husband and I started not to stay at this property because of all the bad reviews, however, we liked the location and took a chance. The hotel is older but in a great location. Everything worked fine. The view of the ocean was gorgeous. The staff was friendly and helpful. Full indoor and outdoor bar, restaurant, place to lock your bikes The restaurants were nearby, some within walking distance. We stayed a week and not sure what you are looking for but it settled our needs to a t. When we return, I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
midlothian, virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

We stayed at this Ramada for 4 days and had a truely enjoyable time. We were impressed by the hospitality and professionalism of the entire staff. The room did face the parking lot, but we don't spend a lot of time sitting on the balcony so it was not an issue. It is not a new hotel, but it is well maintained, clean, and the room was well stocked with towels.There is a fitness center, and surprisingly, all of the equipment worked.The food in the restaurant was good and the service was prompt and friendly. I would definitely stay at this hotel again. The location is great.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

This hotel is deplorable. We read all of the reviews and began to doubt our stay but we decided to give it a try anyway. We went with an open mind but the negative reviews are 100% true. I didn't want t to believe them. I thought it was all people being extremely picky. IT WASN'T- IT IS REALLY THAT BAD! We drove from MD to NC in one day and back again (16 hrs.) because we couldn't bring ourselves to stay here. It was the dirtiest place I have ever seen. We are not snobby and we did not expect a fabulous place, but this hotel was so dirty, I don't know how anyone can walk barefoot in the place. The carpets had a dirty film on them, the pool was murky and green, people WERE running up and down the halls (with their doors open for all to see), the lobby felt like there was no air, the carpet was falling away from the wall, the bathroom was brown and moldy, the sheets and comforter were dingy, the door to the balcony had space where hot outside air was coming in, it smelled like smoke and dirt, the maid service was rude and kicked dirty sheets from another room toward us as we were walking our 2 year old son in. I am not lying when I say, I can't IMAGINE the positive reviews could be written about this place. There is NO WAY anyone could brag about the cleanliness or service, unless they had never stayed in a hotel before. We love the Outer Banks and have gone every year but I was so appalled by this place, I cried and my family and I left. We tried to book another room at a different hotel, but at that point they were all booked. PLEASE LISTEN! Save yourself the most disastrous trip and go somewhere else!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Lynchburg, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

Let me preface by saying that my husband and I usually rent a house while on the Outer Banks, but since we were only going to be there for the weekend we opted for a first time stay at the Ramada, mainly because of price.
We received a west side room on the 4th floor for about $160/night during peak season which is a good price for the OBX, but if you picked up this hotel and took it out of a popular beach location it would be totally overpriced. Check in was simple, and the front desk attendant was nice. Oh and Sabrina (the parrot in the lobby) does bite (even a seasoned bird handler) so please do be careful! There is a desk in the lobby that has many maps, tourist books, tide charts & even movie times for the KDH movie theater. The steps are open to the lobby (unlike most hotels where they are in the corner of the hotel), or you can ride the elevator which is right around the corner. Each floor seems to have their own ice machine, and drink & vending machines. The pool & Jacuzzi are inside a glass enclosure, but we did not try either. Nor did we try their restaurant Peppercorns. The outside deck area is pretty nice with 2 showers to clean off from the ocean, and several deck chairs. I think there were chair & umbrella rentals for the beach through the hotel, but we did not use them. The beach (which was lifeguarded) was pretty crowded, but that was to be expected during August with many hotels in close proximity.
Our room was small, but clean as far as we could tell. We figure this hotel probably stays close to capacity during at least the summer months, so for having such a large clientele it wasn’t too terribly weathered. I wouldn’t necessarily say it was dirty, but there are certain things like updated chairs & linens that would be beneficial. We did have free wi-fi access which was a real plus. The bathroom was clean, and stocked well with towels. The water pressure in the shower was poor. There is a microwave & mini fridge in the room that worked fine for us, and a small safe that we did not use. The private outside deck included 2 plastic chairs & small table when you wanted to enjoy the west side view (which isn’t much more than the parking lot & part of 12, and the Wright Bros Memorial off in the distance). The bed included about 6 pillows all with different firmness which we liked since that gave you a choice. The parking lot is pretty amble, but be aware that if you come back late at night it might be full. There were many guests that had their dogs, but besides seeing them we wouldn’t have noticed. There weren’t smell issues or barking that we could tell while we were there. The only issue with noise was the closing of both the outside deck & interior doors. You could hear them slam during all hours.
We would not say that we hated the Ramada, but we don’t think we would stay here again. We have stayed in a few hotels over the years that have updated a lot of their linens & furniture, and if you are someone that enjoys those upgrades & looks forward to them like we do, than the Ramada will be a let down. We would consider staying again if they give the hotel a makeover. If these things don’t mean a lot to you than the Ramada is a fine basic hotel in a fabulous beach front location.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront? Share your experiences!