“Weekend Get Away” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront

Save Saved
You added Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront to your Saves list
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1701 South Virginia Dare Trail, P.O. Box 2716, Kill Devil Hills, NC 27948   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Wilson NC
“Weekend Get Away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2008

I took my wife to the Outer Banks for out 21st anniversary. It was the first time that I was there since I was a kid and the first time for my wife. We took our Cocker Spaniel and left our teen age daughters at home. We were late getting there, but everyone was very friendly and they welcomed our dog as much as us. We are already making plans to go back there in the fall for my wife's birthday. Can't wait to get there.

Thanks for a wonderful time!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
virginia beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2008

Stayed here in January for 2 nights, it was just a weekend trip that my friend and I wanted to do because we love Nags Head and the winter is really quiet around there, Staff was friendly, room was nice but these are pretty basic accomodations so dont expect like a resort, but it did fine for us and we really only used it to sleep we were out all day both days, we also ate at Mama Kwans just down the street and the food there is so delicious, cheap, and a great atmosphere, Never used the pool so cant comment on those facilities, however did order room service our last night there and food was great and service very fast, Would stay here again and love Nags Head!!!

Stayed January 2008
cheekt, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this review, April 24, 2008
We are so pleased that you enjoyed the Ramada Plaza Nags Head Beach. It makes us happy that our guests take the time to let others know about their enjoyable stay. We hope to have you as guests at Ramada Plaza Nags Head Beach again soon.
Asheville, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2008

While visiting friends in eastern NC during spring break, we decided to go to OBX on the spur of the moment. We got to the Nags Head area after 11:00 pm with no reservations. Too bad I did not get a chance to check with Trip Advisor first. This hotel is in a great area. It is just NOT clean. Our room, especially the bathroom was dirty. Hairy....just gross. I talked to our maid the next morning and told her about the hair in the tub and she assured me that she would clean it. I don't think she touched it at all. I saw two bugs on the floor in our room. Can't say for sure if they were roaches or not but they were bugs none the less. This hotel is pet friendly and that is obvious. The staff cannot even clean up after the humans so imagine how dirty it really is. My kids went for a swim in the indoor pool and it was dirty too. The water was murky and there was sand on the bottom of the pool. They have outdoor showers so you can rinse off after being on the beach before you go into the pool but they did not work. The elevators and the hallways just stink. I am not sure how to describe what it smells like but I can tell you it is not pleasant. I know it is hard to find pet friendly places to stay but do not even let your pet stay here!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Nasty, Nasty, Nasty
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Richmond, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2008

Stayed at this Ramada over Easter weekend. Chose this property specifically because we needed to travel with our small dog. Check in was smooth even though we arrived late, rooms appeared clean and beds comfortable.

Stayed Friday night, didn't sleep well, woke up Saturday with a stiff neck and feeling sick so checked out early and headed for home. I've been deathly ill since. My head, neck and shoulders are covered with insect bites of some sort. The doctors I have been to can't figure out what kind of virus must have been transmitted.

Since we stayed in a pet friendly hotel, in a pets allowed room I can't blame the hotel. But I would say be very careful here. I don't think the bedding and pillows could have been very well cleaned between guests. Luckily the room had two doubles, and I slept alone in one of the beds. No one else on our trip was bitten or feels ill, but I still can't keep food down.

• Liked — The view of the beach
  • Disliked — Still sick a week later
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2007

The hotel was average. There were a lot of things not working properly, but then again it was during Christmas holiday. The good things are it is pet friendly (we did not have a pet, as our beloved dog is no longer with us so it was nice to see the pet friendly environment.) The people who work in the hotel were friendly and very helpful. There is this adorable bird that is the center of attention in the lobby, she helped me not miss my pets who were not on this trip with us.

On the down side, the restaurant seemed to have very questionable service, one person's room service food was out in the hall for the entire day.

I think that that if you are looking for a fairly decent, fairly priced place to stay and you have a pet, this is a good place.

To me; however, I always thought that Ramada should be a little more upscale than this place was.

• Liked — The friendly staff
  • Disliked — The upkeep needs some attention
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Columbia, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2007

Me, my husband, his mom and sister rented 2 rooms the week of November 11 to attend a wedding at Nags Head. The rooms were average looking. What made it terrible was: 1) BOTH rooms we rented never got cleaned even though we removed our "Do Not Disturb" signs. 2) BOTH rooms had dirty washcloths, and towels 3) the other tub had USED bath water, and we called maintenance guy and he looked at us as if it was our problem 4) the gym equipment was broken 5) the dining room had pieces of duct tape holding parts of the ceiling together 6) the bird in the lobby was cute but bit my husband 7) the waitress was nice but she brought each of us the wrong order - that is 4 wrong orders! Basically, they really should get renovated before anyone should stay there. I hope this review helps.

• Liked — location on the beach, close to the village beach club
  • Disliked — dirty
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2007

The best thing this hotel has going for it is it's ocean views, so if you book, make sure you request a room on an upper floor so that you don't get tucked behind the dune. From our room, we watched dolphins swim by while enjoying in-room coffee on the balcony. There's also a great deck on the back of the hotel that leads to the ocean. We used the swinging bench in the evening hours... seemingly no one was around, so it felt like a real retreat.

The room was clean, quiet, and comfortable: generally on par with the standards of this chain. But there was a ceiling panel in the bathroom that was dislodged, I tried to make it right, but after my adjustment, it made a crazy whistling sound, so I moved it back to its original spot. That was odd, but didn't ruin the stay.

Lots of kids were enjoying the pool. They have a restaurant that advertises itself as having great breakfast, but it looked empty to me-- we didn't try it.

We were able to book at the last minute. The clerk at checkout took a very long time to appear, but once he did, he was able to give some good references for eats so we left overall satisfied.

I wouldn't stay there again because I'd probably seek out a private rental to get the full OBX experience, but I cannot give it a negative review based on that.

• Liked — views
  • Disliked — whistling bathroom ceiling
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront? Share your experiences!