“Great location, nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront

Save Saved
You added Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront to your Saves list
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1701 South Virginia Dare Trail, P.O. Box 2716, Kill Devil Hills, NC 27948   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #11 of 19 hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
“Great location, nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

I booked a room through Priceline ($160), and opted for "no view" so I expected a windowless interior room. Much to my delight, we had a balcony that overlooked NC 12. Even though the view was of the highway, it's nice to have some space outside. We stayed here on the 4th of July & were able to see the fireworks from the back deck of the hotel. The location in relation to the beach is great, there is a long boardwalk with many chairs & gazebos that take you right out to the beach. The hotel even offers beach chairs & umbrellas to use if you don't have any. The signs say you have to rent them, but they are just in a pile on the beach, and I think people were just using them. We were going to use the indoor pool, but it was very hot in there - possibly because the hot tub is in the same room. Also the water was a bit cloudy, probably because of excessive chlorine.

No complaints regarding the room, really great size, comfortable bed & excellent adjustable shower head. Staff was pleasant checking in & out - very convenient location. I would not stay here for a week long vacation - it would be far too expensive. You're better off renting a vacation home from one of the many realtors.

1,196 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Edenton, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

We stayed on the fifth floor and the air conditioning does not work properly, the maintenance man came by and said it takes about 1 hour for a room to cool.We called after 3 hours and they brought a fan.We had the manager come by and she agreed the room was very hot and would have the unit replaced while we went out to eat, When we returned nothing had been done and when I called the front desk they said they would check on it and we never heard from them again. We also could not sleep under the covers and when we tried to change hotels there were no available rooms.This is not a cheap hotel- so save your money and look somewhere else!

Room Tip: check to make sure the ac works
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
The recent extreme hot weather surely made it uncomfortable for many people on the east coast over the last two weeks. Humidity and high temperatures had everyone’s equipment working 24/7. We’re sorry that the climate in your room was not satisfactory nor corrected in a timely matter. Our maintenance staff has been diligently checking all units to ensure guest comfort and satisfaction.
upstate NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

stayed here from July 1 to July 5. this hotel is right on the beach, and is ocean front. every room is not ocean front and we had a room facing the parking lot. It was very busy being a holiday week. The room was not ready when we got there at noon. The rooms are guarenteed for 4 pm. At about 3 pm, I was able to get into our room. We loved the decks and the proximity of the beach, The hotel concierge is very knowledgeable and very friendly. He recommended several nice places to eat. for a quick bite try the country deli, it is excellent. we also enjoyed the pigmans bbq, and the beach side bistro. check for coupons on restaurant.com

Room Tip: there is no complimentary breakfast, there is coffee in the lobby in the am.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for visiting us all the way from upstate NY! We are happy that you and your family enjoyed our oceanfront hotel and all that is available both at the hotel in OBX. Our concierge truly is a great help to our guests ensuring that everyone takes advantage of all the great attractions, restaurants and fun family activities. Be sure to visit with us again and keep in touch on Facebook!
Broadway, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I have been going to the Outer Banks for a while and I have always had a nice stay at any hotel I have stayed in. I have a 14 month old and I wanted to stay somewhere this time that was in the middle of town and easy access to everything, so this is why we chose the Ramada Plaza. Plus the pictures online looked like it was a nice place. When we got to our hotel room on the 5th floor. I notcied the bed sheets were dirty on BOTH beds. There were blood stains on both sets of sheets and pillor cases. When i picked up the hotel room phone to call downstairs it did not work. Someone had to come and replace the phone as well as the sheets. Our air conditioner was not working properly and when i asked about it the man in maintnance said that this was a good as it gets. It was HOT! I was so hot i could not even sleep under the covers! The bathroom was also dirty! The elevator got stuck three times while we were on it. The doors did not want to open and it was skipping floors. I noticed that one night after dinner there was aa sign on the elevator that said out of service. Also there was no air in the hallways of the hotel. It was misserable. This hotel said it did not give refunds. So did not want to waste $500.00. I would NOT recommend to anyone. The location is good but the stay is not! It is way to dirty for liitle kids. I wanted to post this because i read the reviews online of this hotel and thought it would be okay. Trust me it is not and i am not a picky person! The Holiday Inn is where we should have stayed it is great!

Room Tip: Just go to another hotel! Trust me!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Thank you for staying at our oceanfront hotel and also for your feedback about your experience. Your opinions are important to us and we will review all of your comments closely. We wish you had a more enjoyable time and left with better memories of OBX.
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

WOW --- I'm from Seattle and figured a hotel in the Ramada chain (in the Outer Banks in North Carolina) would be quality ... NOT! Only one elevator of two was working (there are 5 levels of rooms), and I reserved a "view" room for over $200/night. GUESS WHAT? A "view room" is a "view'" of the City side of the Ramada ... and I thought it meant an ocean side! The people at the front desk explained (as I compalined) that I had to reserve an "ocean view" (as opposed to a "view") room. Hey, I paid $220/night and I only get to see the parking lot facing west? YEP. There are no other rooms available to upgrade, of course (it's June 30). It feels like BAIT 'N SWiTCH and I resent that. Don't believe this place in terms of what they tell you you're reserving.

Room Tip: Specify a room on the "ocean side" and prepare to pay through the nose.
Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
We are disappointed to hear about your stay with us and the unfortunate timing of our elevator difficulty. The issue was quickly corrected and we only wish you weren’t inconvenienced while here with us. We will also be sure to research the website which is displaying the “view room” you referenced. Our website has it listed as “street view” so we will be sure that other independent sites are also displaying it the same way. Thank you for your feedback.
Elizabeth City, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel many times. I find the staff to be very helpful, polite and professional. However, my last experience there was a bit on the negative side. Living about an hour away we often go for the weekend and the last weekend we stayed there was some sort of music festival going on and the hotel was full of musicians and their followers. The people were up all hours of the night, slamming doors and making a ton of noise in the hallways. Both mornings we were awoken at 5am by people singing and playing guitars on the deck, which was very disturbing. We usually have a most wonderful time at the Ramada Plaza but we were more than ready to pack up and go on our last day. The issues that we experienced were not directly related to the Ramada Plaza so we did not make any complaints to management at the time. My only comment on my experience was that perhaps when I made my reservation I should have been informed of the event which would have allowed me to make the decision to stay elsewhere or simply come the following weekend.

Room Tip: All of the rooms on the ocean side above the 2nd floor have beautiful views.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your continued patronage by staying here with us on Nags Head Beach. We are disheartened to hear that the group staying with us during your last visit was not considerate to both you and other guests. We have documented your comments in our files and will be sure to discuss ‘noise etiquette ‘with future groups like this one. Thanks for the feedback and we do hope to see you back with us soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Great view of ocean,clean place for a fair rate.Good service,has nice indoor pool and a restaurant.Plus your right in the middle off everything.

• Stayed August 2011
, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
We also believe that our rates are affordable and offer great value for the dollar and appreciate you noticing! Thank you for staying with us and we’re glad that you had a fabulous time at our oceanfront resort!

Been to Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront? Share your experiences!