“Nice little beach hotel, too many smokers!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of John Yancey Oceanfront Inn

You added John Yancey Oceanfront Inn to your Saves list
John Yancey Oceanfront Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2009 S Virginia Dare Trail, MP 10, Kill Devil Hills, NC 27948   |
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
“Nice little beach hotel, too many smokers!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2014

We have stayed here many summers for short weekend trips down to OBX, it's no frills but serviceable, they allow dogs, and have a nice little deck and easy beach access. The staff is normally very helpful and friendly. However, we are hesitant to return if the hotel doesn't do something about all the smoking in common areas. They have smoking rooms but the smokers had also taken over the hotel's deck and beach access points. We couldn't even stand to be outside on the deck at night, and when I suggested to the front desk that it would be nice to restrict smoking in that area, I was met with a gruff response. I hate to have to find a new regular place to stay, but we might be scoping out other spots on the beach now to avoid all the smoke and cigarette butts.

Stayed August 2014
edward22, Guest Relations Manager at John Yancey Oceanfront Inn, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We are a smoking friendly hotel and do offer dedicated smoking and NON smoking rooms for guests in different areas of the property, in an effort to accommodate different guest needs. We understand your desire to avoid smokers and your concerns and will discuss ways to restrict smoking in common areas/ outside going forward. We strive to make all our guests enjoy their stay and make the John Yancey a family friendly resort for years to come.

Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Bangor, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

Do not believe the online photos ....the place is very run down. The breakfast is limited and the breakfast room quite unpleasant. The pool is small and shabby looking. Read the fine print....if, due to an emergency, you need to leave prior to your ordinal check out date, they will not refund any money, but will charge you for the time you stayed and give you a credit for a stay there to be used in the next six months. I do NOT recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

I've stayed in a lot of motels in the outer banks and this one ranks low. I paid $123.00 to stay here in late May. The chairs in the room were wet. And the shower still had wet towels in it. The door had gaps around the frame. I was on the first floor and the curtain didn't close all the way, I had to shut it in the door to get some privacy. My dog didn't even want to go in the room. The motel offered a free breakfast but it was all empty when I got there. I wouldn't stay here again. The only positive comment I have is the staff was very friendly and accommodating.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a second floor room.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Meyersdale, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Our room had two double beds with a mini fridge, microwave and coffee maker. It was a clean, average size room that served it's purpose. It had a balcony on the ocean side with a sliding glass door. It is an older hotel and does have some wear and tear to it, but no more than any other place I've ever stayed at the beach. The staff were excellent. They were friendly and happy and professional. The continental breakfast was above average with many choices from make-your-own waffles to fruit. This is one of the cheapest beach front hotels around, and for the money, you cannot beat the amenities: swimming pool, direct beach access, on-site-laundry, picnic tables and grills, and 24 hour in coffee service in the lobby. This place is worth a visit and I will return.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Charles Town, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

If you look at my more critical reviews on Tripadvisor, you may not understand this review. I am compelled to write because of the negative raps that this motel gets. For the past 7 years, we have stayed here for one or two nights before our week at a house in Duck. We very much enjoy this reasonably priced motel that allows pets. This motel reminds me of my old family trips to Wildwood, NJ or Ocean City, MD. It is your typical east coast shore motel. It is clean and has very good ocean access and parking. The same staff has been there every year that we have been there. I don't expect any more than I get...a nice family style beach motel. It has the playground, the pool, the grills, the picnic tables and a place to walk the dog. It doesn't pretend to be anything more than it is. It is not pretentious...just a nice down home, good value shore motel. I am sorry more people don't appreciate it. I would rather not write this review for fear that the prices will go up and the vacancy will go down; but, that would be selfish of me.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
edward22, Owner at John Yancey Oceanfront Inn, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Thank you for your honest feedback. We agree! We aim to offer that independent, unique Outer Banks hotel experience with clean, affordable (yes, pet friendly), rooms with superior beach access and all the hotel amenities one needs.

We look forward to having you back the Yancey, as we continue to look for ways to improve our guest experience. This includes future plans to replace the remaining older TVs with new flatscreens, new mattresses, and other property improvements.
Henderson, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

Access to the ocean and other activities was good. Room was not so good. The sliding glass door was in need of repair and not easy to open or close. The door to the room had a wide enough gap around it that light came in on all four sides. The hot water in the shower was very difficult to control. The beds were comfortable, and the free breakfast was okay. The condition of the room did not equate to the high cost of the room. The pool was small given the size of the facility. We got to the hotel about three hours before check-in time. When I checked to see if the room was ready, I was informed that it was. We were told we could go ahead and take it for an additional $50 charge. I thought that was rather extravagant, but since we were tired from our journey, I went ahead and paid it. I don't think the room warranted an additional $50 for early check-in. Would I stay there again? Seriously doubt it.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room you are renting before you take it. Make sure that the sliding glass door works...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
knoxville,tn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We just returned from our long weekend in Kill Devil Hills. This was a very quaint place to stay, no long waits for elevators that were overstuffed. We were in the ocean front building and it was great. Quiet complex, very family friendly. Our second floor room was perfect, will definitely plan ahead and get the first floor with direct sand access next time. We were very sad to leave and look forward to our next visit with John Yancey and Kill Devil Hills!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to John Yancey Oceanfront Inn? Share your experiences!