This is the most disgusting hotel I have ever set foot in. Of the 2 room keys, only 1 worked. Not a huge problem, but once the door opened.... OMFG. The smell. Kind of ocean, funk and febreeze. Mixed with more funk. The carpet rippled like the ocean. Not a positive thing. I didn't allow my kids to take off their shoes, and now we're home they have flea bites on their ankles so I guess that was pointless. The bathroom was filthy with peeling laminate on the vanity, dirt piles behind the door, no water pressure and a toilet that barely managed to flush 2 sheets of toilet paper. The beds were surprisingly comfortable but the sheets didn't smell clean - like old lady perfume, probably a previous guest, I'm assuming the owner of the brown wavy hair in the sheets that I noticed the following morning. The bed had various yellow stains that I don't want to think about. All through the night I could hear other people's trips to the bathroom in great detail as the walks were so thin, and then every alarm clock from 5.30 to 8.
When we got up the next morning, my husband's shoes were soaking wet, as was the carpet. That explains the smell - and all the clothes I'd laid out over the chairs the night before were slightly damp. The fridge was around 1 degree below room temperature. Furniture old and mismatched, walls chopped with missing paint, the plastic bucket directly outside the door full of sand, bugs and old cigarette butts should have told me "RUN, don't walk, and never look back!" If there had been other hotels available, trust me we would have left this hellhole. But as there weren't and the alternative was sleeping in the car with 3 little boys including a 7 week old, we stayed and hated every second of it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Oceanfront motel in the heart of the Outer Banks, NC. Outdoor pool, dune deck, rooms with balconies, FREE breakfast, FREE Wi-Fi, and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com and Tingo so you can book your John Yancey Oceanfront Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- John Yancey Oceanfront Hotel Kill Devil Hills
- John Yancey Quality Inn
- Quality Inn Kill Devil Hills
- Kill Devil Hills Quality Inn
- John Yancey Oceanfront Inn Outer Banks, NC - Kill Devil Hills