“Nice staff, very accommodating” 4 of 5 stars
Review of John Yancey Oceanfront Inn

Save Saved
You added John Yancey Oceanfront Inn to your Saves list
John Yancey Oceanfront Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2009 S Virginia Dare Trail, MP 10, Kill Devil Hills, NC 27948   |
Orlando, Florida
“Nice staff, very accommodating”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

This was our first experience at OBX and while I was hesitant at first, the staff was wonderful and accommodating. The hotel is definitely an older place, but everything was very clean and the beachfront location was awesome. I'm surprised at the negative comments because we had a great experience.

Room Tip: Ask for the oceanfront!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
edward22, Owner at John Yancey Oceanfront Inn, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for your business and for your kind feedback. We have strived over the last couple seasons to improve our guest experience and glad you enjoyed it. More improvements to come in future offseasons. We look forward to having you back at the Yancey!

215 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Newport News, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The complimentary breakfast was a spread of only sickly sweet carbs. Nothing else. The staff was friendly and helpful. I enjoyed the pool. Obviously not a five star hotel, but not bad for the price. We got a bottom floor room which is ideal because you can walk out the back door and the beach is a short walk away. The room had a coffee pot and some awful coffee packets.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

well welcome to me to the OBX, first time stay ever at the OBX, requested an upgrade on the oceanview room and was able to recieved that, the elevator was broken to my surprise so we walked up the four flights of steps, bags and all, sweaty arrived in the room and powered on the tv, to my surprise the cable did not work, call the front desk and clerk says ok someone will be up in a min to check cable, after 20 minutes no one comes I call back and say "hey i am leaving out feel free to check it when you can, clerk says "oh the cable is out in the whole building I just found out and the cable guy is on the way, he is stuck in traffic," ok cool. Leave for dinner and then come back still no cable after walking up the four flights of stairs, call back to be told by the clerk that the cable guy could not come out . ok cool. leave for the beach back down the four flights of stairs to get ice for beverages for the beach. Guess what???? ice maching "out of order" you can purchase a bag of ice from the front desk for 1.99$ lol. ok go the beach, return to the room and head out for the evening, get back its around 2am go to bed, awaken to hear some rattling sound, turn the light on and notice the biggest crab I have ever seen in my entire life huge, big. Terrified I call the front desk, no answer, call the outside local phone number to hotel get an answer, tell him I am scared and ask him to come up, visibly he is shaken once he sees how big it is. He spends about ten minmutes trying to capture it, I ask to speak to the manager that was there on site, never once was I offered another room, oh it was 2am, she initially told him over the phone that she was not coming to speak with me but did come after the second request, rude and appeared overwhelm she walked off and left us in the lobby. lol funny because my room was not at all free. please do not stay there until these issues have been resolved, I was not at all informed of any of this before I checked in.

Room Tip: plwase make sure what they are advertising they have, make sure the cable, elevator and ice machine...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
edward22, Front Office Manager at John Yancey Oceanfront Inn, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
We appreciate you feedback. Unfortunately, given that the Outer Banks is a barrier island, we are subject to outages more so than other inland communities. The power/cable was out not just for us, but was a larger area outage, which was out of our control completely. We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope you can give us another try. We have made strides in the last 2 years to renovate many of our rooms, and have more plans for the coming year. We pride ourselves on great guest service and a favorite oceanfront location.
Ithaca, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

This hotel is 2 different buildings. I think one allows smoking and pets and the other does not. Find out which one you're in before you lug your suitcases in. The lobby is obvious, but the fact that you might need to drive to another parking lot/building is not. Things are a bit worn, but not terrible. And I get things rust at the beach, so I give some slack for that. I would guess that the bedrooms have recently been redone, but the bathrooms have not. So the bedrooms look modern and nice (no ugly bedspreads, a personal pet peeve of mine) but the bathrooms are in rougher shape, with the strangest grout patch job I've ever seen. The room had a hair dryer, iron, coffee maker, microwave and fridge. There's free breakfast.
What I thought made this place stand out were the outdoor pool and hot tub with little mini gazebos, a swing set/play structure, another big gazebo and 4 charcoal grills and picnic tables for guests to use. There's easy beach access and a little sitting area overlooking the beach.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
edward22, Owner at John Yancey Oceanfront Inn, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thanks for your feedback. As an oceanfront property, we do battle the elements (salt, sand, etc), but do our best to provide clean, well maintained, affordable accommodations. The property has been undergoing significant renovations to the rooms over the last 2 offseasons, with many rooms seeing updates (carpets, wall, paint, tile). Bathroom renovation are scheduled to be done in the future, as are other enhancements. We do hope you come back again and see us.

John Yancey ownership
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

The John Yancey Inn is an awesome place to stay if your going to the obx! Right on the beach, the staff is more than friendly, and the rooms and bathrooms are kept clean. Right across the road there are several restaurants and attractions for everyone. Great place to stay in the outer banks!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

My friends and I spent one night at the John Yancey over memorial day weekend and it was great! I don't know where else you can get an oceanfront hotel for such an affordable price. The room was clean, well-maintained, and the staff was very helpful. I am definitely recommending this location to my friends.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
the great pacific northwest
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

The reviews I read were mixed on this place, but it was the only place I could find a room for under $200 on a Memorial Day weekend. The front desk clerk was very nice, and found a room for me that didn't have any stairs, which I can't do because my knees are bad. The room did however have a tall step at the doorway. A handyman was quick to find a wooden ramp that made it possible to get in. (The clerk also loaned us a very nice corkscrew, which she said we could bring back in the morning.)
The beds were very comfortable. The room was quite large, in part because of the weird little alcove that I suspect once had a hot tub there. The room was pretty clean, though there was a fruit fly convention in the bathroom. When I made the reservation I was told that all the rooms had been upgraded during a big renovation. But they need to call the workers back because they got ripped off. The carpet at the doorway into the tiled area was frayed at the edges. The paint job was sloppy. The bathroom floor was marked up by something, and the corners appeared to be pretty dirty. Breakfast was not much.
Would I stay here again? Doubtful.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
edward22, Owner at John Yancey Oceanfront Inn, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We have completed major renovations this offseason to the Sea Building oceanfront rooms - installing new siding, new 6' sliding glass doors, new flooring, new 32" LCD TVs, drapes and more. We did similar upgrades to the Four Season oceanfront rooms the prior offseason. Main Building rooms, where you stayed, will be getting renovated next offseason. We hope you come back and give us another opportunity to show you why the Yancey has been a favorite hotel for Outer Banks vacationers for 40 years.

Been to John Yancey Oceanfront Inn? Share your experiences!