“Great Trip to the Yancey” 5 of 5 stars
Review of John Yancey Oceanfront Inn

You added John Yancey Oceanfront Inn to your Saves list
John Yancey Oceanfront Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2009 S Virginia Dare Trail, MP 10, Kill Devil Hills, NC 27948   |
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Rockville, M
“Great Trip to the Yancey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Just returned from a wonderful stay at the John Yancey hotel. The staff was very helpful, and the beach was beautiful. The property is in the midst of a big renovation to the ocean building, but I liked our 2nd floor room with great oceanviews. I enjoyed sunrise every monring on our balcony! I enjoy the independent inn atmosphere, and plan to come back this summer. I like the restaurant across the street, Kill Devil Grill, it was delicious. Thanks Yancey!

Room Tip: Make sure to stay in an oceanfront room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
North Wilkesboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed at the John Yancey Oceanfront Inn with my family Jan 5th thru Jan 9th 2013.
We were unable to obtain a room in the seaside building, because this building is currently under renovation. The staff went above and beyond upgrading us to the penthouse suite in their other oceanfront building. The suite was wonderful & the view of the ocean through the double sliding glass doors was breath taking.
I also stayed here in 2011. The rooms were impeccably clean & comfortable. The desk staff & breakfast staff were both exceptionally pleasant & helpful. This is an older Inn; therefore, there may be some cosmetic imperfections. This is an OCEANFRONT property & very reasonably priced.
I live in North Carolina & I will return to OBX. The John Yancey Inn is, without a doubt, where I will stay.
Dr. Sarah Bell

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

The staff was very nice, but the room was falling apart. The walls were peeling and the bathtub had numerous chips in it. They had a power outage on Friday night. My kids were frightened, so we elected to leave and stay somewhere that had power. The staff member stated that they would take care of the charges. We only received a partial refund.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
edward22, General Manager at John Yancey Oceanfront Inn, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
We are sorry you didn't have a positive stay the John Yancey. We are in the midst of additional offseason renovations, which we believe will continue to improve the room quality. The offseason is when we get to much of these repairs, and I would encouarge you to come back in the summer and stay at the newly renovated oceanfront rooms.

The night you referred to for the black out, was in fact at power outrage. It was an outage ON THE ENTIRE OUTER BANKS, not just us, but the whole beach! We took necessary measures, and actually power came back on just a couple hours later. This was a freak occurance, that was very much out of our control, but thankfully, just a minor inconvenience. We wish you could have stayed to enjoy our Inn, and hope you'll give us another opportunity to show you that we are one of the independent hotels on the Outer Banks, with great oceanfront rooms & customer service.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I am back and forth between the obx all the time since I live so close in Virginia Beach. I have never rented a room from John Yancey and I never will again. The rooms smelled. The refrigerator had black mildew/mold on the racks. There were dirty, used mattresses in the hallways. The stairs need repairing. There is also a lot of stray cats on the premises so on the second floor there was a lot of cat feces in the hallways. The place is just disgusting, period. Not even worth the off rate season rate. If you do rent a room, trust me, you will regret it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
We are sorry for your unpleasant experience. I can assure you we at the John Yancey are committed to providing great customer service, and are working hard to enhance the guest experience. Given the seasonality of the property, most of our renovations and updates happen in the winter, so what you saw were the efforts of our staff to update the property. We do stay open while we renovate, which can be a challenging task and we are sorry you saw things in process.

We have added new Queen mattresses that are now being installed. We are renovating the Sea Building heavily this offseason. I would encourage you to give us our renovated a room another try on your next summer trip to the best.
Asheboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

There are constant updates to this hotel due to the coastal weather. When I was there I had an oceanfront room. Nice to sit on the balcony and actually see the ocean, not just dunes. The staff is very helpful, and the continental breakfast is good. It is not a new hotel but the rooms have everything you need and the price is right.

Room Tip: If you like listening to and seeing the ocean ask for a room on the oceanfront above 2nd floor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Midland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I have stayed at this property a couple of times. As with most beachfront hotels, it is over priced. The best thing it has going for it is that it is oceanfront and the beach is easily accessable. The rooms are ok, nothing to brag about. Housecleaning is slow, worse during the summer months. The front desk staff is hit or miss-I have had very courteous and helpful staff help me one time and a rude clerk another. This is an average property at best and this is the problem with the Nags Head area-the hotels have been around for some time and they are showing their years. The newest property is the Hilton Garden Inn near Southern Shores and it is always sold out because it is new and modern. I am not saying I need 4-5 star hotels but for what you are paying for these hotels you should get better. The Yancey was recently renovated and is better than it was. I have stayed at a couple of other hotels down there (Days Inn, the former Ramada-this may be a Wyndham now) and the Yancey is the best of the group. If you go in with minimal expectations, this hotel will be just fine.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Auburn, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel on 3 different occasions. I know what to expect from the rooms, the pool and the view. Not top notch, but okay. This last stay, while I was calling (same day) to see if they had an ocean view room available which they did, I was told abruptly, "you know if you don't show up I'm still going to charge this card!" Wow, that was rude, why would I be calling at 1pm for a 3pm check-in if I wasn't going to show up? Then I'm told that I cannot use my AAA discount for a 1 night stay. That wasn't the case last year. The next day after checking out I receive a call around 2pm, the same desk clerk called me up and accused me of having a dog in my room. (we were staying in the section where pets were not allowed) I don't have a dog. She said "the maid said it looked like the 2nd bed was slept in"....so...I'm not sure when it became against the rules for my husband and I to sleep in two different beds. Which we didn't anyway...the bed was neat, never slept in, only the luggage was on the bed. WHAT THE HECK...sorry to say John Yancey...you lost a returning guest!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to John Yancey Oceanfront Inn? Share your experiences!