“sew Whaddaya want fer that $Price$. EnnyWae ?” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sea Oats Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jarvisburg
Sea Oats Motel
112 North River Drive, Jarvisburg, NC 27947   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Jarvisburg
Newport Blues
“sew Whaddaya want fer that $Price$. EnnyWae ?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Its dead on the highway behind an Indian girl? tobacco store sign/store? . Not crowded. ok maybe some paints peelin off. Maybe it aint th hilton.............BUT ! !!!!!!!!!!!!
THE DUDE IN THE LOBBY/office showed me his pet Turtles & the front desk handed me a light bulb to replace the one that went out. I could then see in th bathroom, it had clean sheets & powerful AC . just exactly what Im lookin for between dives. what th hell am I divin in that OBX murk for? I wonder. ! ? no pool or fitness cntr & I DONT CARE.

Room Tip: get one with a door on it
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

10 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Baltimore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I will preface this review by saying that I'm a flexible traveler who rarely complains! If I could give this place a "zero" I would. We stayed at Sea Oats on Friday, August 10, 2012, in hopes of not getting stuck in traffic to the Outer Banks on Saturday. Considering the price, we certainly didn't expect luxury. What we got was a nightmare! I had read the varied Trip Advisor reviews and, as I usually do, I disregard the best report and the worst and look at the majority of the reviews. Never again will I do that! The linens were threadbare (I could deal with that) and there was a plastic sheet directly under the fabric. The smell of mold hit me strongly as I entered the room. The lower 6 inches of the shower curtain were coated with mold and mildew. The bath had mold and mildew. The ceiling tiles were stained and had mold and mildew. There was dirt and food on the carpet. The air conditioner didn't function because the filter was so thickly coated with dust that you couldn't see through it. The absolute worst part, though, were the mouse droppings on the nightstand. I have attached pictures. The manager/owner (not sure) came into our room, acknowledged our complaints and said we wouldn't be charged for the room. There were no other rooms available. My daughter and family had a larger room with 2 double beds and one single and I stayed with them. Their room wasn't as bad as mine though there were many house flies in it, dead bugs in the bath tub, and also mold on the ceiling and tub and the room had a strong moldy/mildew smell. My husband decided to stay in the original hot, filthy, moldy room. I understand why the lady in one of the other reviews spent the night at Walmart rather than stay in the room. The next morning, the manager (or owner) changed his mind and said that since my husband slept in the room we wouldn't receive any refund. I just wanted to get away from there.

My next frustration came when I contacted the Currituck County Department of Health. I felt someone needed to be informed about the condition of the place. After several days of trying to speak to someone I finally did get through to an employee who happened to be one of the people who had inspected the hotel in April. He told me they received a 93/100! He then read me a list of all the things the hotel was told they had to do to improve. I asked how they could possibly have received such a high rating in light of all the things on his list. His answer was that it was really hard to give places low ratings. Unbelievable! He did say that he would visit there again.

My advice is put up with the traffic if you can't find another place to stay. Sleeping in my car would have been preferable to sleeping here!

Room Tip: Don't take room 6!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Jarvisburg hotels

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We've been vacationing in the Outer Banks for the last ten years...We've stayed here the past four years on the way to the Outer Banks....yes it is outdated and yes the office smells bad (but you're not sleeping in the office). The rooms are smoking rooms... The rooms are clean but yes there are rust stains in the bathroom...Someone also apparently burned a hole in the new carpet that they put in.....but for crying out loud, it is very cheap and you are less than an hour from the beach! We rented three rooms this year, my husband, children and brother and I shared one, my in-laws took one and my mom and step-dad had another...and yes the key got stuck in one of the doors and we had a heck of a time getting it out....but hey, we're just happy to be off the road. We are just looking for a place to crash for the night and we have no reason to complain. I've never seen "bugs" in any of our rooms any time we've stayed here...it is NOT fancy by any stretch of the imagination but we have had no problems staying here.. We've had worse staying in chain hotels for much more money...I'm sure we'll stay again next year...

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
New York, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

My husband and 6 month old twins were going to stay there while on our drive to the outer banks. The plan was to get there around 3am and stay until check out so that we could get to our beach house with in the late afternoon. My expectations was that it was going to be a basic bare bones room that was clean and a place for us to get a few hours of sleep before starting our vacation however I was greatly mistaken. We arrived at 3am and the first thing I noticed when I walked in the room was the horrible smell of smoke, I opened the windows to get in some fresh air especially since I was travelling with two babies. Then I did not realize how horrible the room was until 5:45 when I woke and rushed out the door out of disgust. The refrigerator had stains all over it. The bathroom had bugs. There was an ashtray that was melted and I don't even want to know how gross the linens were. Needless to say I spent the next few hours walking around Walmart with my babies rather than spending another moment in the room.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, stay someplace else
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

After checking out the reviews here, I went ahead and booked one night as a stop on my way to OBX. The price was very low and I appreciated that, but I couldn't wait to get out of there. Thank goodness I arrived late and left early. The ceiling in the room looked like it was going to fall down; the carpet was stained (BIG stains), the frig was rusted all along the outside (didn't dare open it); and everything was extremely outdated. The worst part was the smell. The smell of the room was bad enough, but the smell of the office/reception area was downright nauseating.

I wish I had paid more attention to the reviews and noticed that one person wrote all the positive reviews.

Room Tip: ask for a room that perhaps has been "updated"
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

We've stayed here the past three years now as part of our trip to the Outer Banks and will stay again next year. They have updated/replaced the flooring and some other things in the rooms. Very comfortable, clean and reasonably priced. Definitely has become part of our tradition of going to OBX.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

My husband, children, sister and I stayed again this past August 2010. Our "usual" room had new carpet and flooring in the kitchen. It looked much better, but we enjoy staying here anyway. The only issue that might have been was that they apparently double booked our room. We called on the way to confirm, and when we were getting close received a call asking if we were still on our way as another family had also showed up. It worked out for us as we had called earlier in the day to reconfirm our reservations. However, we felt bad for the people who arrived 10 minutes prior to us and had also booked the same room. They had to go elsewhere as the motel was completely booked and it was very late. All in all though, we love staying here. The price is great and the location is perfect.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Sea Oats Motel? Share your experiences!