“See you next year” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sea Oats Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jarvisburg
Prices are for rooms, adults
Sea Oats Motel
Save Saved
You added Sea Oats Motel to your Saves list
112 North River Drive, Jarvisburg, NC 27947   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Jarvisburg
“See you next year”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We've been vacationing in the Outer Banks for the last ten years...We've stayed here the past four years on the way to the Outer Banks....yes it is outdated and yes the office smells bad (but you're not sleeping in the office). The rooms are smoking rooms... The rooms are clean but yes there are rust stains in the bathroom...Someone also apparently burned a hole in the new carpet that they put in.....but for crying out loud, it is very cheap and you are less than an hour from the beach! We rented three rooms this year, my husband, children and brother and I shared one, my in-laws took one and my mom and step-dad had another...and yes the key got stuck in one of the doors and we had a heck of a time getting it out....but hey, we're just happy to be off the road. We are just looking for a place to crash for the night and we have no reason to complain. I've never seen "bugs" in any of our rooms any time we've stayed here...it is NOT fancy by any stretch of the imagination but we have had no problems staying here.. We've had worse staying in chain hotels for much more money...I'm sure we'll stay again next year...

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

10 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
New York, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

My husband and 6 month old twins were going to stay there while on our drive to the outer banks. The plan was to get there around 3am and stay until check out so that we could get to our beach house with in the late afternoon. My expectations was that it was going to be a basic bare bones room that was clean and a place for us to get a few hours of sleep before starting our vacation however I was greatly mistaken. We arrived at 3am and the first thing I noticed when I walked in the room was the horrible smell of smoke, I opened the windows to get in some fresh air especially since I was travelling with two babies. Then I did not realize how horrible the room was until 5:45 when I woke and rushed out the door out of disgust. The refrigerator had stains all over it. The bathroom had bugs. There was an ashtray that was melted and I don't even want to know how gross the linens were. Needless to say I spent the next few hours walking around Walmart with my babies rather than spending another moment in the room.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, stay someplace else
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Jarvisburg hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

After checking out the reviews here, I went ahead and booked one night as a stop on my way to OBX. The price was very low and I appreciated that, but I couldn't wait to get out of there. Thank goodness I arrived late and left early. The ceiling in the room looked like it was going to fall down; the carpet was stained (BIG stains), the frig was rusted all along the outside (didn't dare open it); and everything was extremely outdated. The worst part was the smell. The smell of the room was bad enough, but the smell of the office/reception area was downright nauseating.

I wish I had paid more attention to the reviews and noticed that one person wrote all the positive reviews.

Room Tip: ask for a room that perhaps has been "updated"
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

We've stayed here the past three years now as part of our trip to the Outer Banks and will stay again next year. They have updated/replaced the flooring and some other things in the rooms. Very comfortable, clean and reasonably priced. Definitely has become part of our tradition of going to OBX.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

My husband, children, sister and I stayed again this past August 2010. Our "usual" room had new carpet and flooring in the kitchen. It looked much better, but we enjoy staying here anyway. The only issue that might have been was that they apparently double booked our room. We called on the way to confirm, and when we were getting close received a call asking if we were still on our way as another family had also showed up. It worked out for us as we had called earlier in the day to reconfirm our reservations. However, we felt bad for the people who arrived 10 minutes prior to us and had also booked the same room. They had to go elsewhere as the motel was completely booked and it was very late. All in all though, we love staying here. The price is great and the location is perfect.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

Although this motel is not the Ritz, it was pretty decent for the price. We were aware of this motel as my husband and his friends often hunt during the off season in NC and this is where they have stayed. My husband and our son along w/ my brother stayed when we arrived in the Outerbanks on a Friday evening (we couldn't check into our beach house until Saturday). The hotel was fairly clean and our room had a small kitchen with a refridgerator which was convenient. We could park our vehichle right outside our door which was also nice. It was nice to stay right near the Outerbanks so that the next morning we didn't have a far drive at all and could spend the day of our check in shopping and hanging out on the beach. It was also very convenient to restaurants and eating. If you're looking for luxury, this is not your place and yes it could use some updates...however, if you aren't picky and are looking for something comfortable and affordable, this is your place.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

The motel is advertised as clean and reasonable. The "standard" room was mostly clean although there were two hairs in the bathtub. However, the structures were in a state of marked disrepair. Whatever monies the hotel owners have earned, little or none have gone back into to the motel. For example, the blind on the front window was broken off to where one could see the outside (and be seen by them). The blinds didn't sit in the window properly so that there was a big gap on the side. Anyone walking by could view the bed. Much of the trim was stained, chipped or broken. The paneling on the walls was bowed with the inner wall visable at a corner joint where the seams were coming apart. The carpet was stained and full of cigarette burns. (We found out that all rooms were smoking -- a real problem to someone with allergies. The air in the room had a stale old cigarette musty odor.) The ceiling of the bathroom had been repaired, but not very well. And part of the bathtub was rusted through.
My husband and I were on a budget and made reservations sight unseen. The price was just under $60 with taxes, way too high a price for this motel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Sea Oats Motel? Share your experiences!