“Great Hotel with very friendly helpful staff, Great Breakfast Buffet” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sleep Inn Lake Norman

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #10 of 12 hotels in Huntersville
Spartanburg
“Great Hotel with very friendly helpful staff, Great Breakfast Buffet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

We were here with a wedding group, found the hotel to be of grat value as well as having the needed amenities. Foud the front desk staff to be very friendly and helpful with directions as well as taking good care of our wedding party. Would definitely reccomend to our friends and would definitely come back again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

78 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
broadway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

Excellent location for our business meeting, staff very accomodating and helpful, Rooms very clean and comfortable. Within walking distance to restaurants hotel breakfast excellent with plenty of items really like the make your own waffles.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Greenville, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

We stayed at the Sleep Inn on our way to the beach over Labor Day. This is NOT a hotel I would return to again. The lobby has been updated, but the rooms were a blast back to the early 80's. The carpet, bedspreads, sheets, curtains, were all dingy and musty. I wound up going out and buying air freshener for the room.

The service when I checked in was horrible. The female desk attendant was slovenly. Wrinkled clothes, oily hair, and she wasn't wearing shoes! Completely unprofessional.

Once I'd checked in and set my things down in the room I was heading out to get air freshener and go shopping at the nearby Birkdale Village (a very nice place to pass the time) and I noticed a strong smell which smelled like something very hot had been on for a while (like an iron left on, which was rubbing against a curtain or something.) I was VERY concerned and went immediately to the desk. I told her that it smelled like there was about to be an electrical fire and gave her the room number, and she just stood there and looked at me. Eventually she said, "Would you like me to put you in a different room???" I replied.... "No, I want you to go make sure the hotel doesn't burn down!" She just stood there again looking at me.... "Now." I calmly added.

It was a total joke. The idea that a hotel employee wouldn't jump to action when told that it smells like there could be a fire is just beyond comprehension for me. Anyway at that point she acted like she was getting a key for the room in question, and I said a little prayer and headed off to go shopping. Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately) the hotel was still there when I returned several hours later.

I have included pictures and a couple short videos of the room. There is no tub, which is fine for an overnight stay, but may be difficult for those with small children who need help bathing as the shower is only big enough for one person. I will say that the towels, while cheap and scratchy did appear to be totally brand new.

The beds were not good, but not terrible. I slept soundly. The sheets were threadbare and should have been replaced a while ago. The comforter was the old fashioned kind that you just know is covered in "memories" of guests of yore.

Continental breakfast was sufficient. There were concentrated juices, fresh coffee, hard boiled eggs, processed sausage biscuits you could put in the microwave, a waffle maker, plus all the things you'd expect, pastries, cereals, etc. The bread was horribly stale, and I couldn't even eat it as toast. There was a nice yogurt selection which I enjoyed.

Right next door there is both a Resident's Inn and a Candlewood Suites. Do not make the same mistake we did. I don't know how this is the #1 option in Huntersville at the moment. Even with the limited options, there has to be better. We will try the Resident's Inn or Candlewood Suites next time we need a place to stop for the night.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
N Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

My husband and two kids and I stayed here one night. The hotel appears new, is pretty clean and there are a couple of restaurants that you can walk to right next door. The check in staff was helpful and polite.

Breakfast in the morning was OK. There was lots to choose from, but it was all prepackaged and tasteless. Typical of hotel breakfast. But, dining area was clean and well stocked. We ate VERY early at 7am.

There is no pool/hot tub so don't stay here if that is an amenity that you use often. There is an exercise room, but we did not use it. The only thing that could be improved is the comfort of the bed. It was kind of hard, but the sheets were clean and there were plenty of pillows provided.

I would stay here again. The price was fair.

On a side note, we ate dinner at the Outback steakhouse next door. The food was excellent, service was good, but the kitchen sent me the wrong salad. They corrected it right away without a hassle. I would eat there again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2008

This is a newer looking property and everything is in very good condition. The staff seemed good and we didn't have any problems.

I'm a light sleeper and the walls are a little thin and not well insulated. Luckily, we were put in an end room, so we only had neighbors on one side. We could definately hear their conversations one evening.

We were first put in a non-smoking room that was next to a smoking room and had a connecting door (on the 2nd floor). No surprise, the non-smoking room smelled smokey. Why they would have a smoking room connected to a non-smoking room makes no sense. I'm guessing it was because the smoking room was also a handicap room. Luckily, there were other rooms available, so we were quickly switched. If smoke smell bothers you be sure to ask for the first floor, which appeared to be entirely non-smoking.

We would stay here again. We would rate it 5 stars if the rooms were better insulated for sound, which could be a problem on a busy night or with noisey neighbors. Thank you to the previous reviews, which accurately described this location!

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Sound insulation was barely adequate
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2008

This is a very nice Sleep Inn. We stopped here for an overnight stay on our way home from Myrtle Beach and Charleston, SC. The hotel is newer and has a nicely decorated lobby and huge breakfast area. The breakfast was excellent with lots of choices. The room included a fridge and microwave. The hotel is right off of I-77 in a nice area with several restaurants close by. We ate at the Bob Evans which was on the same street and within walking distance. An overall great choice and value. I would definately stay at this hotel again!

• Liked — Clean, newer, location
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Columbus, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2008

We paid $79 for two beds with a AAA discount at the Sleep Inn on the way to Hilton Head. No hassles. Clean room. Easy, fast wireless. Instead of a bathtub, you get a generously sized, classily outfitted shower stall. And we didn't even know about the free continental breakfast (with waffle maker) when we made the reservation. The Sleep Inn will probably rate as the only bargain of our trip.

Stayed July 2008

Been to Sleep Inn Lake Norman? Share your experiences!