“Lots of preservatives” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Maryland
“Lots of preservatives”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

This places uses lots of artificial preservatives, msg and low quality ingredients. Expect not to feel well after eating. Look
Elsewhere.

Huntersville, North Carolina
“Americanized Mexican Reiterated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

After a long wait for the empty premises on Northcross Drive in Huntersville to be rejuvenated , La Unica appeared. My restaurant partner (and spouse) speaks fluent Spanish and has been to Mexico five times, She summarily described the menu as "Tex-Mex" suitable for the local palate, I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian and was pleased to see a list of vegetarian dinners on the menu, I questioned the server as to whether the beans contained any meat products. Her initial answer to me was that she did not think so however her hesitancy prompted me to encourage her to check with the kitchen.She returned with the answer that the refried beans were made with lard.(Hello out there - lard is a meat product to a vegetarian.) I was left with one choice; the "Vegetable quesadilla and salad" at $7.99. I note that the lunch specials containing meat ranged in price from $5.39-$6.79. The vegetables were a typical combination. The cheese had a processed texture and the sauce tasted sweet and simplistic - perfect for someone who eschews complexity and, anything too foreign,
The tortilla chips were heavier than usual, as though they had absorbed too much oil. The salsa that accompanied them was their best feature, particularly the spicier version of the two provided, The Margarita's seemed so "light" that I checked the bill ( which was not totaled for us) to ensure we were not given virgin drinks in error.
All things considered I anticipate that this restaurant will be a popular alternative for the average American palate to pizza and Chinese.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Huntersville, North Carolina
“shrimp with no shrimp”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Ordered a meal with shrimp and received a plate of onions and peppers and 3 small shrimp in the middle of the onions. When I asked " where's the shrimp? I was ignored. Never again will I eat there.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Fabulous, Authentic Mexican Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

The new, much larger location is lovely. The service is attentive and friendly. The atmosphere vibrant and fun. The chips and salsa are perfect-- love all three salsas! This is a quality, family friendly restaurant whose food I dream about if I go too long between visits. It is truly delicious and you can tell that they really care about serving fantastic food. Something for everyone here!

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Huntersville, NC
“Food 10 Service 1”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

There is a lot wrong with this new location. For a Thursday night at 7:45 there was a 20 minute wait that turned closer to 30 minutes. We were seated and it took about 10 minutes for the waitress to get our order and bring the drinks. The food came out within a few minutes; it is some of the best street food I have found in the area; but it is just that street food. Then it went downhill from there. We never had our waitress to come by the table again. She was more concerned about the 12 top than the rest of her section. No beverage refills; even after asking. No one came by to check if the food came out right; and didn’t see one person that looked like a manager working. 30 minutes later we tracked down the waitress to get our ticket and then the line to pay. I will go back for average food and great service; I will not go back for great food and no service. Once the new kid on the block wares off in a few months the volume is going to drop. If service is still that bad, that location will be another empty building. I recommend the place for to go food. I don’t recommend the place to sit down to eat.

• Visited May 2014