“Excellent!!” 5 of 5 stars

704-875-2312
Improve this listing
Activities: Group tours/walking tour
More attraction details
Owner description: This plantation is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Eugene, Oregon
“Excellent!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We visited this 1800's plantation and thoroughly enjoyed it. Well worth the price of admission. The guide that gave us the tour of the house was very informative and pleasant. We were then able to walk around the grounds for a self-guided experience. I would highly recommend this for an afternoon.

Visited June 2013

Omaha, NE
37 attraction reviews
“Interesting History”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

The day that we visited was very sunny. There were several classrooms of elementary age students visiting at the same time so the tour was geared more to that age group. I have often expected the southern plantations to resemble Tara from "Gone With the Winds," but this one dispelled that stereotype. The history behind this plantation helped educate me as to the Carolina gentry. The grounds were well kept, and as close to authentic as possible in modern times, complete with farm animals and gardens. This day they were a little short on staff but those who were working were terrific when asked a question or demonstrating a skill. I would encourage those who enjoy southern history to make a stop at Latta Plantation. You won't be disappointed with what you find.

Mooresville, North Carolina
32 attraction reviews
“Latta Plantation worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We visited on a week day. Not many folks there except some kids on a school outing. There are several buildings to tour and farm animals to see that kids might like. If you don't go with a group or on a weekend when they are demonstrating the crafts there is not much activity going on. They do have a 15 minute video about the history of the plantation that is educational. Just a nice place to stroll and think about what it must have been like for the plantation families back in the day. This park also includes a Raptor Center, Nature Center and horseback riding trails.

Morehead City, Nc
8 attraction reviews
“Beautiful and Educational”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We visited this attraction on a day, when they were having a Living History event. It was very interresting. There were reenactors from the Civil War and Revolutionary War as well as spinners, weavers and cooks, etc.. We took the self guided tour. Tours of the main house are usually given every 30 minutes, but there was no schedule on this special day. It was fun to see food being cooked in huge fireplaces in the kitchen house and another building on the property. It was neat to see the farm animals also. There were 2 hogs, goats, a donkey, a cow and some sheep. This site it located out in the country and there are other activities available in the area such as canoeing, camping and horseback riding. The Carolina Raptor Center, which cares for injured birds is near by, so you may want to visit there also.

23 attraction reviews
“Suprise Birthday Gift - Sunset Horseback Riding with Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I simply had to write about the Latta Equestrian Center after I got back from a sunset horseback riding session. What a fabulous unique experience to give someone

I have never been horseback riding before. I mean NEVER. The only remotely similar experience I have had was pony rides when I was 7yo at a birthday party. I am not ashamed to say that I am city gal who is scared of cows and the closest I have ever been to a farm animal is probably on my breakfast and dinner plate

So I was a little apprehensive when we pulled up to the Latta Equestrian Center. I looked nervously over and told my husband-" I sure hope we are here just to feed them".
My fear only grew when I saw that these horses where the REAL deal. Not a mule/donkey. So Tall! A couple of them were massive clydesdale horses - the type that are on the beer commercials. Geez who knew an animal could get that big.

But no worries, after signing the obligatory waiver, they seperate the group into people who have had some riding experience and those who have not. Then the guides set about matching you to a horse based on your size,weight and riding experience. They help you on the horse and give you a brief lesson about the horses personality, how to hold the reigns, turn the horse, make him go and stop. And then once everyone is on their saddle.. You are off onto the trail... No practice riding session around a ring... You have got a sunset to catch Cowboys and Cowgirls.

The trail is scenic and circles you back unknowingly to the beginning. They had a photographer who took pics all along the trail of the riders. No worries of fumbling to take pics with your camera phone while trying to hold the reigns. The trail was perfect. Parts of it pass through wooded areas as well as flat grassy areas, the trail is slightly hilly, during one section you can a see a lake through trees. Towards the end of the trail you approach an open area where you can watch the sunset...then you continue on toward the end...the same place you started and you dismount there.

You are given some time to use the clean well-maintained restrooms ( a very short walk from the stalls) before you walk down the hill to a covered area where dinner is being grilled. You have a choice of chicken/steak, beans, corn on the cob, baked potato, bread. Dessert was store packaged...but very yummy brownies. Plenty of sodas, bottled water sit on ice in a cooler.

While dinner is being grilled, a warm fire crackles... fed by wood from some packaging crates, country music plays softly in the background, a friendly farm dog rests off leash beneath the trees...rising only to be petted by the guides as they make their way back from putting the horses back in their stalls.. You can hear the horses neighing in the background. People are sitting, standing by the fire making casual conversation about the ride... Soon you hear the dinner bell ring- you grab your paper plate get ready for one of the best, hardiest homecooked meal you have had outside of a family reunion. Plenty of food. As they said with a smile " If you go home hungry it is your own fault" . The ambience makes you feel as if you another world way......a southern country farm?.. midwestern dude ranch........ Not 20 min outside of Charlotte's city limits.

Dinner is on table cloth covered picnic style benches. You share tables with other couples and groups. So the atmosphere is very social. The owners walk around and ask about how each horse behaved on the trail, give anecdotes about the horses and welcome feedback. It is all lighthearted discussion as people laugh at themselves and learn more about their horses.

All in all a very lovely experience for the first time horseback rider. I would definitely reccomend it.

As far as the nitty gritty reasons why I did not give it a full 5 stars. I know that this experience may not be for everyone.
For starters. This is not a Disney World attraction. As the sign says " Ride at your own Risk" There IS risk in horseback riding. I think it is reasonable and acceptable, but others may not. You are not given helmets, the trail is NOT perfectly flat, but rather rocky and parts of it hilly. The horses deal with it just fine, but some people may not like how it feels as a horse goes up and down a trail. Sometimes a horse may breakout into a light trot as he catches up with the group... this can be a little unnerving for a first time rider, but there where several guides dispersed in our group and they offered tips through out the ride.

This took a great deal of concentration. Dont get me wrong... I thoroughly enjoyed this experience. But if you are picturing horseback riding as leisurely romantic stroll...then you have got another thing coming. Horseback riding required a surprising amount of awareness of how you are holding the reigns... Horses generally know to stay on the trail, but you have be mindful that they dont stop off to eat, or walk ahead of others. One lady in our group did have her horse trot off at fork in the trail into a pasture away from the group. The lady became so frightened that she never got back on. The guides drove her back in a car and someone rode the horse back. She was waiting for her other half unharmed as we came back to the stalls. But you are encouraged to finish the trail out.

While on the trail, You must ride in a single file line and stay in the order that you are placed . This is mainly due to the differences in personalities of the horses. Like seating arrangements at a wedding. The guides know which horses do better in certain positions relative to other horses. Every effort is made to keep you and your partner/group together - but you cant ride sidebyside with them.

Not sure if this would be a good attraction for people with certain disabilities - back, neck, wrist problem, problems that prevent you from dealing with a lengthy (45min) seated bumpy ride. If you have seasonal allergies dont forget to take your medications in the spring. Wear a light jacket in the spring. I suspect a bug spray would be reasonalble in the summer. Wear closed toe shoes that you dont mind exposing to the Errr.. Elements. As expected there is horse dung around every corner.

Our tour started a little late because they had a horse show earlier that afternoon. We started around 630pm. Didnt finish up till near 930 including the dinner. Our sitter was concerned when we didnt return at 8pm.... but I wouldnt reccomend skipping out early. Relaxing after dinner with the guides was a major part of why enjoyed this tour. For city folks like me, when will you get a chance to talk about horses and horseback riding again? It is a wonderful opportunity to help you digest both the experience as well as the food.. Seconds anyone?

Try to bring exact change to purchase the pictures if you are interested. I think the CD for 30 pics is $25.

If you are extra timid. Dont be afraid to speak up and say so. They will pair you with a horse that will fit your personality. Dont be afraid of the giant clydesdales- they were the gentle giants and did not need much handling at all. I rode a Quarterhorse. The Husband rode a Tennesee Walking horse.

I hope people will seek this place out. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity... that I hope to try again some day once the kids get old enough.

Their website is http://www.lattaequestriancenter.com/