“The Journey was Better than the Destination” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Hiking Trails, Outdoors
BRAMPTON
19 attraction reviews
“The Journey was Better than the Destination”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I loved the drive to Max Patch. Backroads through the mountains are awesome and this one really proved to be entertaining. However, when we got to Max Patch, we couldn't do the hike, because the person I was with had a mobility problem.
No problem, as they say, "the journey is more important than the destination".

Visited September 2013

Maryville, Tennessee
30 attraction reviews
“Not my cup of tea”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

This to me was basically walking around a meadow. I am a hiker but was not too impressed. It is a long gravel bad road to get to the parking lot so be aware.

Visited October 2012
Loganville, Georgia
19 attraction reviews
“360 View of the Appalachian Mountains”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I got a shuttle from Hot Springs to Max Patch by calling Bluff Mountain Outfitters. This weekend I’m hiking from Max Patch to Hot Springs on my quest to section hike the Appalachian Trail. This was my second visit to Max Patch. I had hiked south from Max Patch to Interstate 40 about a year ago.

The best way to describe Max Patch is to compare it the setting where Julie Andrews sings the “The Hills Are Alive” in the movie Sound of Music. The Appalachians are not the Alps, but you do get a 360 degree view at Max Patch. Each time I have visited, I have seen day hikers picnicking at the top. What a view.

Chicago, Illinois
“Max Patch Hike”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Well worth the 45 minute plus drive from Hot Springs to get there. Easy Hike to the top with absolutely amazing views of the mountains!

Norfolk, Virginia, United States
3 attraction reviews
“Great Views – Not So Great Drive!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Max Patch Bald offers a very nice 360 degree views a clear day. The trails head offers a short or long loop. The loops are easy to navigate with a sight elevation gain. At the top of the bald you get spectacular views that are well worth the short hike to the top. The only down side to this hike is the gravel road leading up to the trail head. I drove a small 2WD car up the road with ease going slow but now have some small paint chips and a new squeak in my 2011 model car. I would recommend taking a rental, truck, or larger SUV up the road.