“Beware, not what it appears.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hot Springs Resort and Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hot Springs
Hot Springs Resort and Spa
315 Bridge Street, P.O. Box 428, Hot Springs, NC 28743   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Hot Springs
Knoxville, TN USA
“Beware, not what it appears.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2010

I reserved the most expensive private cabin for my fiance for his birthday that they offered. The website photos make this look like a quaint little charming town. Very deceiving! Think Deliverance.
They gave us the code for the gate to get into the cabin road area. The code wouldn't work, so I had to call them. They gave me another code, that didn't work either. They had to send someone to try and get us in the gate. The cabin I paid $185 a night for was not even clean when we got there. I had to call the main number and ask them to send someone to clean it. They said, Oops, guess we forgot. Then we left the cabin to go back to their main building to get our "couples massage" that I had booked, but the gate malfunctioned again upon trying to leave and it hit the front of my new Cadillac and chipped the paint. At the main office, I told the staff about the gate hitting my car-- they were not interested in hearing it and offered to do nothing about it. They just said, "Yeah, we've been having problems with the gate lately." Huh?!
The couples massage was mediocre. The room was cold and unwelcoming (cheap tile floors, like the kind you buy at the dollar store and stick down yourself).
After the massages, we tried to find a restaurant to eat at. Good luck! The BEST place we could find was a dingy, smokey little bar with holes in the floor (yup, right to the outside!) that offered cheap burgers and stale fries. The service wasn't much better than the food.
We went back to the cabin and had to fill the outdoor hottub ourself. It actually was an okay mineral bath hottub, but the bed was small and uncomfortable for sleeping and there were no blinds on the windows, so be prepared for glares of bright light at 6:30am. The shower was barely a trickle of luke-warm water.
Upon checking out at the main office, I attempted to discuss my car being hit by the gate again, but again, they were not interested in hearing it. The gal acted like she was just too busy to deal with it, so I left.
NEVER AGAIN!

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

79 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Georgetown, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

We stayed a night at the Hot Springs Resort Campground on Labor Day weekend. It's a great location on the French Broad River, and might be nice if there were few campers. But, it was very crowded and noisy (loud radios, drunks, people on dirt bikes driving up and down). Most of the campsites are right on a road that runs through the campground, so you get dust and traffic noise. The campground backs up on an active railroad track. The bathroom facilities were completely inadequate for the number of people: 8 portable toilets, 4 regular toilets, and 4 showers... and then the portable toilets were full and only the 4 regular toilets were available - they had long lines and quickly became filthy. I spoke to the employee at the gate about the situation - she didn't even know the portable toilets had been shut, and said that "they usually get cleaned out Sunday night" (they had been closed sometime Sunday morning). Sick of high-volume classic rock overpowering the sound of the river, and fearful of contracting hepatitis from the filthy toilets, we left a day early and found a wonderful campsite nearby for 1/3 of the price.

Once again, this place might be nice at a time with few campers. It is a great location. Unfortunately, my experience was that it was overpriced, overcrowded and noisy, and the bathroom situation was obnoxious and unsanitary.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Kodak Tn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2009

My boyfriends best friend has taken his wife here a few times. They highly recomended it. I love hot tubes, but get grossed out by all the dead skin and stuff that are floating in one since a normal hot tub does not get cleaned as often as these do. My boy friend and I are two big people ( 250 lbs each). We were told we had one of there smallest tubs, so we were a little nervous after reading the reviews, but the tub was plenty big enough.
We did request the last time slot and enjoyed it very much. The only thing that I'd change is next time is I'd rent a cabin so I'd have a hot tub to soak in anytime I want or at least do 2 hours. Oh yeah and I'd do a massage.

I have read all oh the reviews and can say that I sat and watched them scrub the tub when we were done. I pulled the plug myself and drain the tub. The nice guy came and sprayed the tub with cleaner and big brush and scrubed it down. We asked lots of questions and he sayed that its fills with fresh water every time it does not filter through ( so no dead skin cells in the Jets!!!) It truly was clean.

As you can see from their pictures the hot tubs are in the woods so bring flip flops. And don't be afraid of a couple of bugs. Its worth the money. I will def go back!!!

• Liked — relaxing
  • Disliked — fence not big enough
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

We arrived a little early as suggested, and just sat and waited. Evidently the place is managed by teenagers, there were no adults in sight! Customer service was lacking to say the least! Water was somewhat warm but the setting was very much unlike what I expected, not like the website describes. Hot tubs are lined up in a row very much like bath houses separated only by a fence. At the time of the reservation, I specifically asked if the particular hot tub was secluded and was told, "Yes". There was a horrible smell of urine and who knows who was watching us change clothes across the creek! When our time was up, the hot tub jets cut off, and it began to drain immediately. As soon as it drained, it began filling up again without anyone cleaning it!!!

• Disliked — customer service, cleaniness
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hutchinson, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2008

We did not stay at the resort, but we did visit for the hot tubs and massages while staying in nearby Asheville. We had a 2-person tub for an hour. The tub was ready when we got there (early) and it seemed clean and prepared. The water was hot. I have been in hotter hot tubs, but they are usually uncomfortable after a while. I would say this water was perfect for soaking in for an hour, and I did have to cool off a few times. The setting is romantic and quaint. There is a privacy fence and canopy for each hot tub, which made it feel very private (though be careful, fishermen in the creek may be able to see you...). It was serene and relaxing and just what we were looking for. If I were to offer any improvements it would be to have some cold water and snacks for sale on site - but you can bring your own - we saw others will entire coolers of refreshments. I would also suggest they pay a little more attention to cleaning some of the spider webs and dirt from the canopy, but really, they did not bother us at all. As for the MASSAGES, we had Gabriel and Shiana (sp?) for deep tissue massages for 90 mins. My husband and I both felt these were the BEST massages we have ever had. Really. I've had massages in Chicago, DC, Dubai, and other places and this little town in North Carolina really took the prize. One thing to know before you go, it's not a spa like one of those ritzy city spas - no aromatherapy, dimmed lights, and vases full of freshly cut flowers. This is more of a real massage therapy setting, in fact, I wish the sunlight had been a bit more diffused in my room, but really the massage was SO good, it didn't matter. He did have soothing music and lavender scented oil, so once my eyes were closed, it was all the same. Truly recommend stopping by Hot Springs for this treat if you are near the area. We combined the tub and massages in the afternoon with a rafting trip in the morning and it worked out perfectly.

• Stayed July 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Knoxville, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2008

We visited the Spa again after a year, and things were alot different. They added another building to check in at, and made the whole process smoother. There is also a gift shop now.
We always get Tub #5, it is very private. They call it a "Deluxe tub" but I wouldn't recommend any more the 4 adults in it, otherwise it would be too crowded. With just my wife and I, it was very nice.
I read the othewr reviews here where people were disappointed and didn't understand why. Ok, so maybe the water isn't really super hot, but I found it to be a comfortable tempature, nice, hot and relaxing.
We went at night. There were 2 areas where they had a fire pit going and the one closest to where they take you to your tub had some park benches to sit on. The staff was super friendly. We spoke with a couple of fresh outta high school guys working there and they were nice enough to answer all kinds of questions about the area.
My only complaint is price. I am kind of a cheapskate, and $40 for a hour of soaking in a mineral bath is a little high in my opinion. It's almost worth it, but I would be much happier if it was cheaper by $10.
All and all, I will say that a Trip to Hot Spings, NC isn't complete without a soak in the famous hot water.

• Liked — The Nice Hot Water
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Arkansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2008

I recently visited the Hot Springs Spa after reading about it on their website. I was looking forward to sitting in a private outdoor hot tub filled with "healing hot springs mineral waters, 100-104 degrees". I was given the smallest hot tub since I was alone - they said it was a 2-person hot tub. Well, I could not even completely stretch out in it. While I enjoyed the outdoor, wooded setting along a creek, I was totally disappointed in the barely warm water. It honestly seemed like regular tap water that had not been fully heated to anywhere near 100 degrees. It almost felt lukewarm. I was very, very disappointed.
Senior citizen from Arkansas.

• Disliked — hot tub was barely warm
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hot Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!