“A Piece of Heaven” 5 of 5 stars
Review of RiverDance

We can't find prices for this accommodation
RiverDance
179 Deer Leap, Hot Springs, NC   |
Special Offer
10% off Outdoor Adventure
Ranked #1 of 6 Hot Springs B&B and Inns
“A Piece of Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

My husband planned a surprise 6 day get-a-way to River Dance for our 40th wedding anniversary. I told him, as we headed out of Ohio, that all I hoped for was that we were going to a place that had a terrific view. As we got closer, traveling along a breathtaking river, and making a turn into the gated entrance, the excitement really started to build. Then we were on our assent up to the top of a beautiful mountain—reaching River Dance---and the VIEW was spectacular!!! My husband had found a real “winner”. Callie and Dave are two special people, who are really cut out for this type of serving of body, mind, and soul. They truly love their “piece of heaven”, and share it so lovingly with their guests. I so enjoyed reading many of the reviews written here, and am in agreement with all the praises poured out for this B & B…..so won’t reiterate. I will bring to light though, that there are many, fun, nearby places to go for day adventures while at this location. We spent 8 hours at the phenomenal Biltmore, exploring the mansion and grounds, and having a delicious lunch at the Stable Café. One day was spent at the N.C. Arboretum, taking in so much natural beauty, and hiking on trails. Another day we were off to Grovewood Galleries (what incredible works of art), that is next to the historic Grove Park Inn that we also explored. We had an extraordinary gourmet meal, sitting on the back porch of the Magnolia Inn, in Hot Springs. Callie and Dave also gave us some good suggestions on places to explore, and we found all these to be most enjoyable. Of course, just being at River Dance, absorbing the beauty of our space, the singing Big Laurel Creek below, and the majesty of the mountains have created a memory of this anniversary that will never be forgotten.

184 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Callie and Dave were great hosts and we enjoyed everything about our visit to RiverDance! I would recommend this Bed and Breakfast for couples or families. The best part of our vacation was our time spent at RiverDance.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Just returned from spending three nights at RiverDance along with three other couples. It was a wonderful spot to relax and rejuvenate. Dave and Callie, the owners, are so warm and welcoming that you can't help but feel at home instantly. The location is set high in the mountains overlooking an oxbow of the Laurel River with mountains in the background. It couldn't be any more scenic, especially nice to enjoy the view while relaxing in the hot tub set on its own little deck.
Breakfast is provided and is abundant, though because it is not a commercial kitchen nothing is cooked. However, the assortment of granola, yogurt, fruits and pastries are more than enough to fill one up! There are many interesting books to peruse and lots of brochures to help you find interesting things to do in the area. It's a great spot for hiking trails, rafting adventures and side trips to towns like Mars Hill, Weaverville, Marshall and Asheville. We will be back!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

Loved meeting our hosts, Dave and Callie at Riverdance.
Their home is warm...as is their hospitality. The view took our breath away, and the solitude their location has, in a private gated community gave us the privacy and serenity we were looking for!
LOVED soaking in the hot tub, hearing the Big Laurel river below in the ravine! Perfect!

Cummington, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Our family of 3 stayed in the top floor suite for 3 nights recently and would recommend Riverdance without hesitation to hikers, nature-lovers, and anyone looking for a quiet and luxurious B&B! The site of Callie and Dave's amazing house allows for great views of mountains and river, and I was able to walk to the river below and back for some vigorous exercise. My husband and son found great fly- and spin fishing at the bottom of the hill, and we hiked a bit of the AT from Hot Springs during our stay. Callie and Dave were so accommodating and generous with their recommendations for restaurants (don't miss Pork & Pie in Marshall) as well as hikes and local sights. Breakfast was good, the beds and baths were very nice, and the hot tub was a soothing treat! We wish we were close enough to go back now that Spring is coming!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Salisbury, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

I just returned from River Dance and I am so grateful I picked it for my retreat. I scoured the reviews and agonized over the perfect spot allowing for rest, relaxation and refreshment. From the reviews and the description on the website I knew this would be the perfect place to get away for a couple days. The drive up to the house was fairly easy since I followed the directions Callie had sent after I made my reservation. The rustic road signs are big and easy to follow.

Callie's instructions she sent made me feel comfortable entering the house and finding my way around. I had arrived a bit later than expected and so I just went and started to unload my things into River Rocks which was on the bottom level. After one trip Dave heard me and came down to greet me and offered to help me bring in my things. He gave me a quick tour and I felt right at home. Both Callie and Dave are extremely warm and genuine people which made the stay so comfortable. After the tour I was left to myself to settle in.

River Rocks was perfect for me. The deck opened from both the media room and the bedroom so I could just roll out of bed and enjoy the majestic views, which I did both mornings. Listening to the river below and the birds chirping while the sun came up over the mountain was worth the whole trip. The peace and tranquility were exactly what I was hoping for.

I had told Callie on the phone that I was coming for a quiet retreat. The next morning for breakfast she welcomed me and asked me if it had been quiet enough. I heard very little sounds at all. I was actually surprised by how quiet it was since Dave had told me there was a family of 5 staying upstairs. I didn't even know they had arrived until breakfast. I had zero problems with noise and I spent the majority of the time reading in the bedroom.

It was so nice having a refrigerator, microwave and toaster over downstairs. I had made food and brought it with me so I didn't have to leave if I didn't want to and I never did. I could do everything on my own level so I didn't have to go up to the middle floor for anything. They make the whole kitchen upstairs accessible graciously but it was nice not having to go up and down. There is water and iced tea and coffee and tea available as well as a nice snack basket in the media room. It was nice having more than just a bedroom.

Breakfast was perfect for me. Fresh coffee, tea, bagels and other breads, awesome granola, yogurt and fresh fruit. I sat at the counter and enjoyed getting to talk with Callie and Dave, but there was also the table or couch or deck or I could have even taken it all downstairs to eat. I just really enjoyed talking with them.

I didn't use the hot tub or the fireplaces but Dave showed me how they worked in case I wanted to use them.

The shower was nice and high and big which was nice. There are just nice little touches all over that made me smile. Really there is nothing to complain about at all. I had made bread and forgot to bring butter and Callie graciously gave me some to take down with me. Dave had made sure I felt comfortable asking for anything that I might need or that might make my stay better. They are just really gracious hosts but they were not at all overwhelming.

After I had checked out I still had some time before I needed to leave and so I went on the deck and curled up with a book. Callie offered me tea and just went above and beyond. Then she left me alone to enjoy the rest of my time. I really can't say enough good things about River Dance. I'm looking forward to going back.

Room Tip: River Rocks allows you to roll out of bed and jump onto the deck to watch the sunrise. It was so qu...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

My husband and I have always looked at the mountains as a mean to escape from our busy lives. We have stayed in hotels, cabins, and other B&Bs. This was so much more than we could have ever asked for. We received a text the night before our stay from the owners, Callie and Dave. Callie said that they would be at a local restaurant for a concert and we were more than welcome to join them. If not, we were welcome to make ourselves at home upon our arrival. We arrived at night but they had all of the lights on in our suite and outside. We walked in to the lower level, the River Rocks Suite, and immediately thought we had walked in to the owners quarters. It was so spacious and homey! We had brought our two pups and knew that we did not have to worry about having enough room for all of us. With our own balcony, patio swing, entrance, kitchenette and seating area, we had no reason to leave our level if we didn't feel like it. Due to the hospitality of the owners and friendliness of the other guests, that was far from what we did on our weekend get-away. From check in night we had already felt like we were part of there family. We spent the weekend enjoying the beautiful views from the common area porch after eating a fantastic breakfast, walking along the stream inside the gated community, visiting downtown Marshall, and enjoying the company of our new friends. I can truly say we have found our ONLY mountain vacation spot for as long as Callie and Dave (and of course their pup Midge) will have us.

Room Tip: The River Rocks Suite (lower level) was great for traveling with dogs. However, both levels were ro...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to RiverDance? Share your experiences!