“Hot springs spa has just remodeled the upper tubs” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Avery County NC
9 attraction reviews
“Hot springs spa has just remodeled the upper tubs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I have been going here for over 10 years. The hot tubs have been replaced at the upper tubs...12, 11, 10, 9. I am not sure about the lower tubs. Most of the staff are locals who try to make ya happy, but ya know some people just cant be made happy. I imagine the prior reviewer is talking about the lower area where remains of the old buildings are there. these builidngs were used to house pow's during ww2. So they have historical significance and have been left. The spa has had some trouble in the past but has upgraded and is a lot of fun. The tubs are on the river so you do have to walk in the grass....o my. From the tubs you can see wildlife of all kinds. They have lined the river bank with flowering vines, bamboo etc.

The tubs are priced at 27 bucks for one hour for two people during the day. The prices are posted on their website. I dont think they exchange in any type of bait and switch in their ads it is a simple place and a lot of fun.

Visited June 2011

gatlinburg
“Please, don't waste your time! It's a nightmare!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

We went there a couple if days ago for my friends birthday. She booked a couple of massages prior and the lady on the phone said that there was no problem to have more massages if we liked. Upon arrival they refused to give us extra massages because there was only 1!!!! therapist. When we saw the site where our hot tubs were supposed to be we were shocked. It looked a chicken house on the old farm not mentioning that we had to walk in our flip flops in the dirt in the pouring rain to the tub and back. They returned our money for the tub but never for the massages though they turned out to be good. Beware!!!! Staff is very unprofessional, prices are ok. But I would anybody pay anything for the horrible experience. Plus no swimming pool or sauna, I guess it would be considered a luxury for a place like this. I was in hot springs Nevada and we just paid 20 dollars per person for the whole evening. It included steam sauna, dry sayna, swimming pool and cute tubs with mineral water plus amazing service and a beautiful restaurant on site. I was so disappointed and they made my birthday girl cry. Never again!!!!!!!

Hendersonville
“BEWARE!! You'll lose your money and they don't care!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

Let me start off by saying, "BEWARE!!"
Our daughters gave us a $600 gift card from Hot Springs Resort & Spa located near Asheville, NC for our 50th anniversary surprise party June 2010. My husband has misplaced the card, but we DO know it's here in our home. He has diligently & thoroughly looked everywhere for the gift card. He is at a total loss as to where he could have put it. I said, "Don't worry, I will call them & explain what happened & they can cancel it & send us another one."
I called & talked to a girl in the office who tried to help but said she didn't know how to do that, but that the lady in charge (Sandy West) would call me when she came in the following week & she would know how to take care of it. Sandy West called me today & I explained what happened. She told me there was nothing she could do. I asked if she could cancel the gift card & re-issue another one & she said she was sorry, but she couldn't do that. I told her most places can take care of a situation like this so we don't lose our money. She said again there was nothing she could do. I asked if she could at least take out names & we could show our drivers' licenses when we came in & she said she couldn't do that either. And again she was sorry. I told her, "I'm sure you're sorry and I'm sure you smiled all the way to the bank with the $600. Am I just out the $600 gift card? And she said, "yes". When I asked her what we could do, she said there was nothing we could do. I asked, "then you just keep the $600 & we don't get the services??" And again she said, "yes". I told her we would never again come back for any of their services & she said, "that's fine!" I said, "I'm sure it is because you have the $600 so you don't care." Then she had the nerve to thank me.
Needless to say we are very upset & my daughters are out the money. If I had read some of these other reviews before we initially went there, we would NEVER have gone in the first place. We told our daughters about our initial trip there & they thought it would be a good idea to give us the $600 gift card.
And yes, she DEFINITELY knew how to take care of the $600!! From our daughters' pocket to her pocket with NO services & not interested in rectifying the situation!

Raleigh, North Carolina
7 attraction reviews
“The truth about Hot Springs.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

Hopefully this review may clear some things up. Basically this is NOT a 5-star resort and spa. It's a place that offers camping-related lodgings and wonderful mineral baths and spa treatments, nestled in a cozy mountain town surrounded by beautiful scenery.

After reading the mixed reviews from this website I was more than a little nervous about taking my boyfriend here for a romantic getaway. Neither of us had ever been to Hot Springs before nor could we find anyone that we knew who had been either, so all our information came from reviews from around the internet and the website itself. Here is our story:

I had already booked Cabin #10, so all was set in stone. We made the few hours drive up there following our GPS and arrived to the small mountain town of Hot Springs. The town of Hot Springs is literally just a strip of local shops, a hotel, a post office, and a public library. It's just a simple mountain town that works around the Hot Springs Spa.

We drove down the dirt road to the Spa entrance and spoke to the very nice receptionists who quickly gave us the directions to our cabin, the key, and a pamphlet of the area. We followed the directions from the map they had given us, punched in the gate code, and drove the rest of the way up to our cabin. We were very surprised by how secluded we were from everyone and how beautiful the scenery was.

The cabin (#10) had it's very own hot tub, a futon with bedding, A/C and heat, a bed upstairs, a bathroom with a shower and fully stocked towels and soaps, a TV with Dishnetwork and DVD player, and a kitchenette that included a microwave, stove-top, and mini-fridge, along with utensils and cooking equipment. We weren't aware of all these things and had already brought towels, soap, and plastic cutlery. There was not a phone in this particular cabin but to be clear it was not listed in the description of the cabin. The AC kept the cabin cool but the upstairs bedroom was still too hot for us, so we slept on the futon instead, which we thought was better considering the stairs going up to the bedroom were rather steep and neither of us wanted to have to traverse them in the middle of the night if we needed to go to the bathroom. Also the TV was right next to the futon so we were able to cuddle and watch TV together.
The cabin's hot tub was a little dirty (leaves and grit) from being located outside, but it took only a few minutes to clean it out and fill it up. The tub itself is big enough for a few people and felt amazing even in the summer heat. We learned as we were leaving that our cabin was the original site for the hot springs water, which could explain why we got mostly hot water in the cabin.
(Just so you know, it's hard to get any cold water from the taps and whenever you turn on a faucet you get a brief sulfur smell due to the mineral water. This wasn't an issue with us.)

My boyfriend and I took a float trip with the local Huck Finn Rafting company and had a wonderful time on the scenic river. We then went to the Spa for our couple's deep tissue Massage. We were both nervous as we had never had professional massages before but these people took care of us and we left feeling wonderful. I definitely recommend a massage here.

The rest of our time was spent looking around the shops and unwinding in our cabin's hot tub. I definitely recommend this place if you're wanting to get away from everything for a few days.

-----------------------------
As mentioned before, the town was small but we fell in love with how nice everyone was and how cozy the town was. There are a few places to eat (we enjoyed the Imaginations Cafe), and a few places to pick up some supplies. There is a Dollar Store there that carries food and other things that you may need on your trip and a convenience store that carries some camping supplies, snacks, and some beer and wine. There is also a public library that has computers and wi-fi for those people that cannot live without internet access for more than a few hours.

A few notes:
-If you have AT&T you will not get service and depending on where you are staying, you may not have a phone but the receptionists at the main desk will be more than happy to let you call out if you need too.
-It was stated in a previous review that Hot Springs was a dry county, this is untrue as you are able to bring in whatever alcohol you choose and are even able to purchase beer and wine from the local convenience store.
-There are places in the town to buy food and camping supplies, if you can't find them on your own, just ask someone. The people there are really friendly.
-There are several trains that come through the town on a daily basis, so if you are staying at the Iron Horse Hotel I can imagine how loud they might be as the hotel is located right next to the train tracks. We could briefly hear them from our cabin. Once again, it wasn't an issue with us but it may bother others.

Lastly, I believe the reason why this place has gotten so many poor reviews is because people see the words "Spa and Resort" and instantly think of a 5-star hotel and spa. When they arrive in this town, they are instantly disappointed to not see commonly known chains or to get the star-treatment. This is a town that has been hit hard by the current economy. It caters to hitchhikers, campers, and those that wish to enjoy a day at the spa or the mineral springs, so if you're looking for over-the-top luxury, you might want to look elsewhere.
The best thing to do is to look at their website: http://www.nchotsprings.com/ and call them up if you have any questions. They aren't psychic, so if you don't ask, they won't be able to answer everything you may be curious about.

Overall, me and my boyfriend fell in love with this place and are planning to return in the future.

Church Hill, Tennessee
“Don't even try to book a date--rude service up front from Abe.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

I just attempted to book a couple of days in a suite and some spa services. Before I was even told whether or not the dates I wanted were available I was asked "Are you aware of my cancellation policies". I explained that no I was not and asked if the fellow was the proprietor of the establishment. He said, no. I asked why I was asked about cancellation before I could begin to book and was told that is our policy. Seems to me there should be a conversation (up front) concerning the type of accomodation one wants and what spa services one wants before asking about the cancellation policyies. I then stated I appreciated his help--well, no not really.--and said thank you and hung up. Then I called back asking why I was asked about the cancellation policy before I was even told if a suite was availble and asked what types of spa services I wanted. Again, he did the nasal huffing and puffing and turned on the rude and condescending tone of voice. I asked for the name for the proprietor and asked to speak with them (again more heaving breathing and I'm sure rolling of the eyes on the other end). He, finally, gave me 3 names (Lindsey, Heather, or Sandy) and "don't expect a call back before Monday". Yes, this was an impromptu trip I was planning for myself--all alone. This is Saturday evening. And, yes, I can afford your $185 per night and the $90 for a massage, plus facials, etc.. I was planning on taking off on Monday morning and returning Wednesday evening. It is not often a have a few (surprise) days off and days to myself. Well, Hot Springs Spa, they won't be spent with you now or in the future. Thanks to Abe.