“Don't waste your time and money” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Durham, North Carolina
“Don't waste your time and money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I frequently go to the very best restaurants in the Triangle area. Given the significant absence of good Italian food here, I felt that we probably should try Panciuto given the hype that I've read on this restaurant. Unfortunately, this was a huge disappointment. I don't except a huge number of options on the menu but choosing between 4-5 entrees is a little slim (not to mention the huge number of appetizers (3) and desserts (2)). I purchased the Spaghetti nero with clams for $26. There was very little food on the plate. Although we got desert, I was still left hungry at the end of the meal. They even make you pay for the bread. I don't consider myself to be a cheapskate but I can recognize poor value when I see it. Although the quality of the food was pretty good, I take serious issue with previous reviews stating that is "some of the very best food that I have ever had". Give me a break. Given the location of the restaurant, the lack of choices, the poor value, the marginal service, and the mediocre quality of the food, I would highly recommend avoiding it.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Wasn't crazy about it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Maybe we were there on an off night or maybe the hype was impossible to live up to... Either way, we thought it was just ok. We did like the quaint ambience, although sometimes quaint means dinner in the laps of new friends who are seated next to you. The wine list was also decent, but the experience fell down on the main course for me personally, specifically butternut squash ravioli that was a little too sweet and oily for me. I couldn't finish it, which says a lot. I would probably try again just to see if it was a one-off evening, but would be cautious about expectations.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Durham, North Carolina, United States
“Italian Cuisine Becomes Local.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

One of the best aspects of Italian cooking is the character and high quality to be found in most local restaurants, be it a panini or a rabbit stew. Panciuto, in Hillsborough, NC has made its name by local sourcing of ingredients and a remarkably "local" menu that is modest in scale. Two or three soups or salads, a similar number of pastas and 2 or 3 meat or fish dishes nevertheless offer such a variety not only of ingredients but also treatments that it is very difficult to choose. The sources provide the "local" flavor.
Two of us shared bountiful salads with our third whose filled pasta was rich, flavorful and just enough to make us all glad. The smoked clams were aromatic and delicious, set off by the truly black spaghetti. Mutton meatballs in a complex egg and spinach sauce was easily enough for two people -- which is my only vague complaint. The wait staff will share any and all information you seek. The modest wine list is very good. Our shared chocolate creamy pudding was a great way to end.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Manlius, NY
“Wonderful!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Went here at end if November for a special dinner to celebrate my Son's PHD. Totally original menu offerings that were some if the VERY best food that I have ever had. VERY imaginative parings of tastes and spices. I would highly recommend a drive to sample their special menu!!

Nashville, TN
“Amazing local farm-fresh cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

This is an amazing slot for local, high end dining. Food was fresh and inventive. Bar offered great, unique drinks. This is a must for anyone near Hillsborough looking for an upscale dinner. Book in advance, or eat at the bar. Price is high, but food this good costs 2-3x a much in a city like NYC.