“Great Country Cooking Buffett” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #30 of 49 restaurants in Hillsborough
Cuisines: American, Diner
Mebane, North Carolina
“Great Country Cooking Buffett”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is a sleeper. If not a local you wouldn't find it but it is worth the search. Down home southern cooking buffet with fried chicken, pulled pork, country style steak, etc.. Even have seafood Friday. Each day of the week is a little different theme but all are great. They even have fatback. I have never taken anyone there that has not talked about how good it was. The bannana pudding is just like Grandma used to make. Do not pass this up- Trust me. Not the nicest place but you will be coming back for the food. We have our company Christmas party there sometimes.

Visited February 2013

69% Recommend
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Simply the way it used to be. Good food, good price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We were going to Hillsborough and I asked the man who we were doing business with, where we should eat while in town, and this diner was his answer. He said The Village Diner has been around for decades. It's nothing fancy, booths and tables in the main room, with a big side room where a lunch meeting was being held. Everyone seemed to know each other, and they were having the lunch buffet and so did we. Chicken and dumplings that melted in my mouth! Sweet candied yams, and a huge delicate biscuit! Peach cobbler for dessert.
The waitress was genuinely nice, and the iced tea was left in a pitcher on the table for us. She brought out BBQ for my husband, even though it wasn't on the buffet, no extra charge.
The bathroom is typical diner too - right in the main room and tiny. But, with all the bistros, cafes, and gourmet restaurants to choose from, it was wonderful to have a good ol' country diner lunch! Next time we are driving to that end of the state, we will be making a swing through Hillsborough!

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hillsborough, North Carolina
“country cooking at it's best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

this is a family favorite. Good ole southern home cooking. I live overseas and every chance I get to go back to NC, I find time to go to the Diner, as we call it!

• Visited September 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tarheel
“Comfort food, booths, easy on the budget”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Besides the mac & cheese and other mouthwatering southern comfort food choices, my family enjoyed the one big room surrounded by windows with the sun shining in on the booths. It's located on King Street in a residential area. Can't beat the smiling service and easygoing atmosphere.

Open M-F and Sunday lunch, closed Saturday as of this writing.

Visited June 2011
Hillsborough, North Carolina
“My Grandmother's cooking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

When I was a young boy my Grandmother ran a restaurant in north Georgia. I grew up with the smells of southern cooking. The Village Diner takes me back to those days of Southern cooling and down home people.
I find it a joy to visit the diner and eat there. The staff are wonderful, courteous and always have a smile.
The banana pudding is the best in the county!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere