“Not Very Good” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Mechanicsville, VA
“Not Very Good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

We went to Saratoga Grill because we received a gift certificate for Christmas. I read the reviews here before we went which overall were positive. I am not sure what the reviewers standards are but we thought the place was average if that. I would equate it with cruise ship food. I started with the french onion soup which was sour and my husband got the steamed muscles. He didn't finish them. Mind you it is one of his favorite foods. The scones were horrible...so dry. For our entrees I got stuffed shrimp and my husband got the filet and scallops. The best part of the meal was the grilled vegetables after adding some salt. The shrimp were just so so and my husband asked for medium steak which came out in a pool of blood. He sent it back and I think they microwaved it and it was still medium rare. The service was okay but not great. I would rather eat at Outback anyday than Saratoga Grill. And yes they serve soda in cans with a glass of ice. I think it is probably a hangout for the elderly locals because there were only a few people there under the age of 65.

• Visited January 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

80% Recommend
Atlanta, Georgia
“Charming”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

Enjoyed this low-key restaurant. On holidays be sure to check if they are open, as they tend to observe a lot of them.

Hillsborough
“nice atmosphere, great fish, yummy sides”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

We are new to Hillsborough and on the recommendation of a neighbor tried the Saratoga Grill on Thanksgiving Eve. The pecan encrusted honey dijon salmon with mashed potatoes and fresh vegetable medley was mighty tasty. We split and it was still a good portion, probably because we ate all the delicious scones and rolls in the bread basket as well. We enjoyed the atmosphere, the second story view of the courthouse, the friendliness of the waiter and the moderate price. I have the feeling we'll be regulars!

• Visited November 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wake Forest, North Carolina
“Good gracious, excellent food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

Tom Roberts of Inn at Teardrops recommended Saratoga and it was an absolute delight!

Visited October 2011
Mebane, NC
“Great Seafood (close to I-85 and I-40)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

I have been going to Saratoga Grill for more than 15 years. This is an absolute gem in the heart of historic Hillsborough, NC. If you live in the area, this is a great place to take your loved ones or an important client or colleague (not a great place to take young ones, but they will accommodate your little one if you do decide to take them). Note: they are on the second floor, and there is no elevator.

A window seat reservation would be a nice touch, as it overlooks the historic square of Hillsborough (not a New York view, but quaint). If you are passing through Hillsborough, this place is only 2-3 minutes from I-85 (exit 164) or I-40 (exit 261), and is open lunch or dinner; I think you will enjoy the extra drive past the "usual road side" food establishments.

The menu is limited, but the seafood dishes are really excellent (also, they serve warm scones which is a nice change). I have never been disappointed.

• Visited June 2011