“Lots of rules” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
Hillsborough, North Carolina
“Lots of rules”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

I really like Hillsborough BBQ Co. I have had some really good meals there and a couple that were not as good but definitely not bad. I made an inquiry of our waitress if I could get a half chicken as 2 leg quarters, no breast. Her answer was a quick, curt "no we don;t do that". I don't mind that they don;t want to do that (although the reason is sketchy to me.....having owned a restaurant and after 25 years as a chef I know the issue is usually folks wanting all white and having tons of dark left). it was the attitude. At the end of the meal when the check came I asked if I could use a gift card a certain way. I don;t mind that they preferred doing it a different way. I again got barked at. It was so noticeable that folks at other tables looked over and my wife commented that that was twice I had been barked at.

just seems like a lot of rules and a gate keeper attitude at least by our server. I don;t expect my every request to be deemed as possible wherever I eat but I can ask and I can be responded to reasonably.

All that said the food was very good, as ordered, and still a fav!

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Raleigh, NC
“Great Food but Not Customer Friendly”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

The food here is excellent, great BBQ pork and brisket. They also have nice side dishes. I would rate the food a "5". Unfortunately the owner has a issue with people ordering just the meat as an entree and eating at the restaurant. My partner has several food allergies and cannot eat any of the side dishes and usually orders a 1/2 lb of brisket when we eat BBQ. Hillsborough BBQ will not allow this "per orders of the owner". No explanation as to why. Customers can order just meat "to go", but you cannot eat it in the restaurant. Seems unreasonable for someone with food allergies to not accomodate their needs. We have stopped going here which is a shame because we really liked the food and the atmosphere.

Visited September 2013
Burlington, North Carolina
“Not like my last visit...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Just returned from a Sunday evening visit to our favorite BBQ restaurant. I'm afraid I can't give the glowing review that I usually do. First, we were seated at a table close to the door and my wife and I stayed cold the entire time. The cold has always been an issue here because the door opens directly outside. They have put up some plastic outside, but I don't see how that will help. We had to wait 30 minutes for our food and what I received was not worth the wait. The green beans were refrigerator cold. It was obvious they had not been put on the grill because there were no grill marks on them. The waitress agreed when she looked at them and brought another hot order. I was about through eating when they arrived. The brisket was good and my wife's BBQ pork sandwich was also. I did not get the usual 3 or 4 hushpuppies on my brisket plate but I figured since the cost of the plate went UP, something had to be cut back on. I did not ask for a discount, but I noticed on the check (and the waitress did not mention it either) that they discounted the bill 15%. Oh well, we will still drive about 30 miles to eat here, but we will dress a whole lot warmer if we come back before spring.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Vienna, Virginia
“It was okay. ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We went here because of it's ranking on Trip Advisor. It was just okay, but nothing we would return for. Beans an cole sales were amazing, but that's about it.

Boone, North Carolina
“"Good BBQ"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

A little difficult to find, but worth the effort. Not too far off the interstate. When I walked in I noticed a slight smell of wood smoke. All good because it was from cooking. The food was excellent. The pork BBQ was some of the best I have tasted. No fat or skin scraps, just lean smoked meat. My wife had the sliced turkey. Excellent as well.

• Visited October 2013