“very peacefull” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Highlands
Athens, Ga
“very peacefull”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2008

My wife and I decided on a whim to go to Highlands N.C. We were very happy we decided to do so. We ended up staying at the Highlands Inn and loved it. Room was very quiet, bed was comfy, and breakfast was terrific. Very good experience and we will definatly go back.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Huntsville, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

We traveled to NC from Alabama for a cousins wedding and had no idea where to stay. The Highlands Inn was recommended by the bride’s mother and I must say it couldn’t have been a better suggestion. All lodging in Highlands is pricey and this was in line with others if not a better buy. The facilities are beautiful, the employees were all friendly and very helpful. There was a wonderful full breakfast bar included which was much appreciated and the dining room became a gathering place for other family. The Inn helped make for a perfect weekend.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

We stayed here in August 2008 while attending a wedding. The Highlands Inn is superbly located if you want to stay "downtown". However, at $580 after tax for Friday and Saturday night this hotel was nothing short of a rip off even if we had a scenic room on the second floor with a porch overlooking Main street. The best way to summarize this place is to liken it to the slumlord-owned apartment in which I lived in college with 5 other guys.

The lobby is a tacky mixture of arts and crafts. The common area corridors have nasty old carpets which haven't been replaced for years and the door to our room barely locked and hadn't been pained in decades. The carpet in our room was probably placed there in the early 1980s if not earlier (I am not exaggerating). The furniture in the room was a mish-mash of cheap pieces. The bed was reasonably comfortable, but all I kept thinking about was bed bugs though I never saw any. The lamps hadn't been dusted in months as there was a build up of cobb webbs. On the bathroom wall next to the sink there were streaks of blue cleaning fluid running down to the floor. The towels were nice and thick however. The TV, which we didn't bother to turn on, was an early 1980s Zenith.

I am not sure what the owners are doing with the $580 I spent on our two night minimum stay which we paid for 4 months ahead of time. However, I am positive they are not using it to pay for any upgrades to the property.

The reason we chose this property is because it was about $100 per night cheaper than the Old Edwards Inn across the street. I incorrectly assumed that the Highlands Inn would at least be a nice hotel given its pricing. In retrospect, and after seeing a friend's room at Old Edwards there is no good reason to give the highway robbers at Highlands Inn a dime. Spend the extra bucks and go enjoy a true resort across the street. As it was, we skipped the "free" breakfast at Highlands Inn and paid about $18 per person for breakfast at Old Edwards just so we could feel a bit civilized.

Fortunately, my wife and I were able to make a joke out of our stay at Highlands Inn, but we both decided that spending any more than about $50 per night is too much for this nasty hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2008

Nothing is cheap in Highlands NC..the cool summer escape for wealthy Southrons and countless Harley riders with mandatory clinging female pillion passengers seeking the freedom of the winding mountain roads. But whereever the grizzled riders and their costly steeds are stabled it is NOT in such places as the historic Highlands Inn. $160+ a night buys a lot of gasoline for the hog. Is the Inn, with its proudly declared 100 plus years of hosting mountain travel worth the money? Well actually there is not much around cheaper. And the room was tasteful if small and opened to a small balcony overlooking a courtyard garden with pond. Modern bathrooms, well supplied and matching his and her robes. Usual coffee maker and all that. Comfy and stylish beds. But modernisation has not extended to much soundproofing and what worked when travellers read quietly by candlelight is not adequate in an age of TV. So it has the potential I think to be very noisy on nights with more folks staying there. Quaint and deliberate old entrance takes you back in time, door locks that don't quite want to work but helpful and obliging staff. It may help that much of the population parking their Lexuses (Lexii??) outside are of similar vintge to the hotel. Cute but not the place to spend a lengthy stay I think.

• Liked — Central location and old charm
  • Disliked — Potential for noisy neighbours
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Harrison
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

This is a lovely old Inn. Rooms are very quiet. The front desk help is outstanding!! Very family friendly, lots of board games available along with library and pool table. Part of the rate package included breakfast. Breakfast was a joke, only 2 meal options. Cold scrambled eggs, barely one piece of bacon- we ate out the entire trip. Don't pick this motel for the on site restaurant. Do pick it for a quiet, relaxed stay.

• Liked — Front Desk help
  • Disliked — "Free" breakfast
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Statesboro, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2008

My family and I have visited Highlands on many occasions. After staying at other properties in town, we began staying at the Highlands Inn about five years ago. The town itself has undergone many major changes, most specifically, sprawling high-end accommodations that can be found in any major city. We chose the Highlands Inn for the charm, comfort and appeal. We have stayed in the Rock Garden Rooms and the Historic Rooms. The Garden area of the Inn is very quiet. We were amazed at what a nice secluded space they have just a few steps off busy main street. We have always found the accommodations to be first class with all the modern conveniences. The Inn has a large lobby with lots of couches and easy chairs for relaxation by the fire with a book. They also have a large solarium type room that they call the “bird room”. It has a bird aviary with finches. The complimentary breakfast is served in their restaurant. We have always had plenty of choices, whether they offered their daily buffet with casseroles and French toast or the made to order breakfast. The chef will pretty much make anything you want. One evening of our stay, they were hosting a reception of sort. It looked to be a wedding or anniversary function. They have a large private ballroom that they use for special functions. The staff has always gone above and beyond for us getting us reservations in Restaurants on short notice that were otherwise booked up. I cannot rave enough about the staff and how accommodating they are. I think most of them are natives to the area. I would definitely recommend this Inn to anyone visiting Highlands.

• Liked — Everything, especially the restaurant!
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vidalia,GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2008

The Highlands Inn is a wonderful hotel. I stayed there in November 2007. Everything was perfect---I couldn't have asked for a better hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They made it a point to go out of their way to make my stay even more pleasant. The rooms are so cozy, and I felt right at home. It is located right on Main Street, so I could walk to all the wonderful shops and restaurants. I also ate at the restuarant inside the Highlands Inn, The Kelsey Place Restaurant. It was delicious!!!! The food is so undescribably good...just what I was looking for! My trip to North Carolina was terrific, but staying at the Highlands Inn really made it so memorable. From now on, every time I go, I know just where I'll be staying---The Highlands Inn.

Stayed November 2007

Been to Highlands Inn? Share your experiences!