“Great hotel to stay!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Highlands
Statesboro, GA
“Great hotel to stay!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2008

My family and I have visited Highlands on many occasions. After staying at other properties in town, we began staying at the Highlands Inn about five years ago. The town itself has undergone many major changes, most specifically, sprawling high-end accommodations that can be found in any major city. We chose the Highlands Inn for the charm, comfort and appeal. We have stayed in the Rock Garden Rooms and the Historic Rooms. The Garden area of the Inn is very quiet. We were amazed at what a nice secluded space they have just a few steps off busy main street. We have always found the accommodations to be first class with all the modern conveniences. The Inn has a large lobby with lots of couches and easy chairs for relaxation by the fire with a book. They also have a large solarium type room that they call the “bird room”. It has a bird aviary with finches. The complimentary breakfast is served in their restaurant. We have always had plenty of choices, whether they offered their daily buffet with casseroles and French toast or the made to order breakfast. The chef will pretty much make anything you want. One evening of our stay, they were hosting a reception of sort. It looked to be a wedding or anniversary function. They have a large private ballroom that they use for special functions. The staff has always gone above and beyond for us getting us reservations in Restaurants on short notice that were otherwise booked up. I cannot rave enough about the staff and how accommodating they are. I think most of them are natives to the area. I would definitely recommend this Inn to anyone visiting Highlands.

• Liked — Everything, especially the restaurant!
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Vidalia,GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2008

The Highlands Inn is a wonderful hotel. I stayed there in November 2007. Everything was perfect---I couldn't have asked for a better hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They made it a point to go out of their way to make my stay even more pleasant. The rooms are so cozy, and I felt right at home. It is located right on Main Street, so I could walk to all the wonderful shops and restaurants. I also ate at the restuarant inside the Highlands Inn, The Kelsey Place Restaurant. It was delicious!!!! The food is so undescribably good...just what I was looking for! My trip to North Carolina was terrific, but staying at the Highlands Inn really made it so memorable. From now on, every time I go, I know just where I'll be staying---The Highlands Inn.

Stayed November 2007
Aiken, SC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2007

We have stayed in several places in Highlands over the years and found the Highlands Inn an adequate place to stay. It's best asset is that it is well located and convenient to the downtown area. The rooms are dated, although they are reasonably comfortable. The staff were very personable and helpful. I will have to agree with one of the other reviewers about the breakfast, it is a pitiful buffet and it is the same thing everyday. The best thing that can be said about it is that you won't starve to death if you can choke it down.

• Liked — Good location
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Orlando, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2007

We stayed in one of the B&B buildings Labor Day weekend. The property is off the beaten path and is really relaxing. The building we were in had beautiful rooms. The room was not large and we had to get a cot for the kids. The back opened to a nice covered porch that the kids could run out and play in the grass. The main part of the building had a beautiful family room with board games and a wrap around porch with rocking chairs. The grounds are large with a pond that you can go canoeing with the properties canoes.

The on-site restraunt is VERY formal for dinner. The breakfasts are awesome - you have to drop in at least for brunch! It is not open for dinner on Sunday and we had to go into town for dinner that night, which was good because we found a great German restraunt on the main drag of Hendersonville.

• Liked — The 44-acre grounds that you could just roam
  • Disliked — The pool wasn't heated
  • Stayed September 2005, traveled with family
Charleston, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2007

We celebrated our wedding anniversary with a long weekend stay at the Highlands Inn. I first learned of the Inn earlier this year when we drove through Highlands. I saw people in the rocking chairs downstairs, and sitting on the 2nd floor porch, and I just knew it was my kind of place.

I was immediately impressed when I called to make our reservations. The staffer we spoke with was so helpful! She provided several restaurant recommendations and encouraged me to go ahead and make dinner reservations.

We stayed in a 2nd story room with direct access to the porch. The Inn is charming, and our room was spacious and clean.

They have a small computer room on the 2nd floor. The computer provided worked really well (which always surprises me). They also had wireless access throughout the Inn. While we did not take our laptops with us, we did see people using theirs, and we saw the wireless access points, so I'm sure that works well also.

We enjoyed the breakfast provided each morning. The breakfast included fruit, cereal and muffins, which were the same both mornings. The hot offerings included bacon, sausage, biscuits and sausage gravy, hashbrowns and egg casserole. The egg casserole was different each day. Everything was the proper temperature and freshly prepared. The staff was constantly bringing out fresh food, etc. The coffee was also quite good. We also enjoyed the freshly baked chocolate chip cookies offered at night.

If you are in Highlands I highly recommend checking out Sunset Rock. It's just a short drive down Main Street from the Inn. There is information about it in the book provided in the room. You can either park in the lower lot and hike .6 mile up the hill, or drive up the road to a parking lot at the top. The view is amazing, and at sunset it really is something to see.

While in Highlands we ate dinner at On The Verandah and lunch at Wild Thyme. Both were excellent!

• Liked — The location, the staff, the comfort and quality of everything in the Inn
  • Disliked — My only complaint is about the ironing board - our room really needed a new one. Not much of a complaint. :)
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mobile Bay, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2007

Our room was very comfortable and the hotel is centrally located in a wonderful little town, Highlands. The only negative is that they advertise a full cooked-to-order breakfast with wonderful choices. What they actually give you is a tough, rubber steam-table buffet, barely fit to eat and the same thing every day. I gently pointed out to the clerk that the breakfast advertised was not available, and she agreed and said they would have to take down the ad in the lobby. 3 days later it was still there and the breakfast was the same dismal affair. For the price paid that was very disappointed, but we liked everything else about the hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2007

My immediate family stayed 3 nights at the Highlands Inn on the occassion of a family wedding. After reading some of the reviews, we were a little skeptical of what we might find. However, we had a delightful stay and would be happy to return. We had an upstairs room at the Inn and a large room at the Mountain Brook suites, several blocks away. Both accomodations were large, clean, and quiet. There was no musty smell! Decor was upscale country casual. We did not eat meals at the facility, but really enjoyed the homemade chocolate chip cookies each night. I can recommend the property without reservation.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Highlands Inn? Share your experiences!