“Great surprise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highlands
Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages
You added Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages to your Saves list
264 Dillard Road, PO Box 1717, Highlands, NC 28741-1717   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Highlands
Watkinsville, Georgia
“Great surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

We booked a very last minute trip to Highlands, NC at the end of December. Great location, close to the lovely town of Highlands. We upgraded to the 2 bedroom cottage and it was perfect for our family. Our kids loved the duck pond and the pavilion area. We enjoyed New Year's Eve at this cozy place. Very clean and the staff was very friendly. The cottage had an equipped kitchen, dining room, fireplace in the living area and a deck near the pond. Although one of the queen beds in one of the rooms was a bit lopsided, all in all, this was a great deal and we hope to return again soon.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Tavernier, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

We discovered this gem tucked away in the beautiful mountain village of Highlands NC. It was like stepping back in time. Our room was rustic in decor and spotlessly clean. It overlooked a
brook and we had a fireplace. We hit it at the height of fall foliage and the staff was very helpful in showing us mountain trails to go hiking on. The room comes with a continental breakfast which was more than adequate with fresh fruit and muffins, cereal juice and great coffee. The staff was more like family and could not have made us feel more welcome and at home. We had original planned on spending one night and stayed for 3. The is a very sweet resident cat
named "Bootsie" who came several times to visit us in our room and make us feel right at home. We felt honored. We will be back. Great place and staff

Room Tip: Ask for twin, queen or king bed
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

My husband and I were here in August 2011. We booked for 2 nights but we liked the place and so we decided to stay one night more. The location is great! so closed to many lovely attraction such us beautiful falls!
We booked a Deluxe suite and we were upgrade in a lovely deluxe Kitchen suite.
Our room was very big and clean; there were a fireplace, a jacuzzi, a small kitchen with fridge and microvaves, a deck with table and chairs.
The only thing that I dind't like was the following: breakfast in the morning is very simple and poor :(
All the staff was very kind and friendly and the place are more lovely than appear in the website!
Absolutely I would like to came back to highlands and to stay here ! Some friends od mine suggested me this place and I never stop to say "Thank you"!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

While the location is good, this establishment is "very tired". I felt like I shouldn't touch anything. The pillows had to be original to the room. My wife needed a nap and instead of laying down in the bed, she slept in the car.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

Highly Recommend! Mitchell’s Lodge & Cottages offered a great mountain location within walking distance (use the back entrance), along the sidewalk to the downtown Highland's area (great morning walk)!

They did not have any availability in their cabins, so the staff offered me two options: Cedar or Log Lodge Rooms. Both are very nice; however, I chose the Cedar Lodge Deluxe Room #30 on the top floor which was more spacious…(the website does not do the property justice, so you need to see it in person to appreciate the quality, privacy, value, and the service).

I am in the hospitality business and typically stay at boutique hotels; however, I can honestly say my accommodation was outstanding! When I opened the door to the Cedar Lodge, I was in love and knew I was going to enjoy my weekend and it exceeded my expectations. You feel like you are in a private villa in Colorado with nice mountain furnishings, desk, beautiful beds, bay window with two nice chairs, wet bar with microwave, refrigerator, dishes, silverware, coffee maker, complimentary wifi which worked perfectly, nice bath, and best of all …a large stunning private deck, two rockers, and a gas fireplace, all overlooking wooded private area. It was a perfect weekend with nice cool fall weather, with a great night’s sleep and relaxation for a fun filled day of activities.

The staff was very accommodating and the property was pristine. The Log Lodge Rooms are nice if you do not need a private patio, and microwave/refrigerator (they do have rockers and less expensive than the Cedar Lodge Rooms.) However, if you want a larger space you will want the Cedar Lodge Room. I thoroughly enjoyed myself as was able to have a nice glass of wine and dinner on the deck, read a book on the nice rockers in the evening; stroll the grounds, sit on the swing reading overlooking the water, (they even have an outdoor hot tub which I did not have time to try) with grilling areas, and the next morning had complimentary breakfast and a full day of hiking at Cliffside and Dry Falls in the Highlands near the lodge.

The restaurants are the best around - my favorites: (Nicks, Wolfgangs Wine Bistro, Madison’s Wine Garden and Rooftop Terrace at Old Edwards Inn & Spa, Wild Thyme, and gourmet groceries at Mountain Fresh Grocery-(all within walking distance).

The following day enjoyed shopping and hiking in Cashiers at Whitewater Falls. I was so hoping to come back a few days later, but it did not work out, so look forward to my next trip when I can take a least 4 or 5 days to enjoy the cabins or the Cedar Lodge accommodations again.

I have been visiting the Highlands area for years to hike, shop, dine, and unwind, when living in Atlanta (as one of my favorite spots) at many of the hotels and inns. This is my first time returning to the Highlands area since residing in West Palm Beach, FL, as was in Asheville for business and decided to take some extra time for hiking and relaxing, and reading in the Highlands.

For years I stayed at the Old Creek Lodge (near Mitchell) in their cabins until it closed, and was delighted to try Mitchell's Lodge and Cottages! I love my privacy in a mountain type vacation home setting surrounded by trees, grounds and spacious interiors with private decks with swings and rockers and streams and ponds. They have a lot of repeat visitors and everyone I spoke to loved their accommodations…A must stay if you want a quiet relaxing vacation central to all activities. I cannot wait to return! .

Room Tip: Deluxe Room - Cedar Lodge - High Ceilings - Great Deck!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

We've been visiting Highlands for many years now, usually averaging at least a couple of trips per year. Had never stayed at Mitchell's. The rooms were just as advertised. Not frilly and luxurious; but plenty nice enough for a mountain weekend getaway. The staff could not have been more welcoming, and before we left, they insisted we take a quick tour of other, larger rooms that we might consider on future trips. We've stayed at most of the B&B's in this area, and they are certainly nice in their own right. But Mitchell's was less expensive (translated = more $ for dinner each night), and given that we are out hiking/shopping/exploring during the day, this made good sense. We will stay here again in the future.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Naples, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

The rooms were very smoky smelling even after a good airing.
The bathroom left a lot to be desired. The wash basin did not even have a stopper.
The shower is so small that you can't turn around in without hitting the toilet.
Furniture is very used and partially damaged.
Internet WIFI worked well and the office folks were friendly.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages? Share your experiences!