“Absolutely everything one could want in restaurant!” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 43 restaurants in Highlands
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Dessert, Private Dining
Description: Dinning Options: Lunch & Dinner,
Nashville, TN
“Absolutely everything one could want in restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

Of the place in Highlands, the Wild Thyme Gourmet was the best overall experience we had. The food was impeccably fresh, the service was incredible, and the atmosphere in the outdoor dining area couldn't have been more perfect on a summer afternoon. I had the encrusted salmon, and it was one of the best dishes I ever put in my mouth! I would highly recommend it.

The service was friendly and efficient. I think the owner served us, and she couldn't have been nicer. On the day we went, the other outdoor diners seemed to be getting the same great service as we did, no matter who waited on them. We also ate at Wolfgang's and Cypress - but, overall, the best combination of food and price were at the Wild Thyme Gourmet.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

90% Recommend
Miami, Florida
“Great Food, Warm Southern Service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

My partner and I ate at this café with two friends upon our arrival in Highlands. We took an early flight to Atlanta and then drove to Highlands. We were tired for sure! And so, when we were served by our warm, friendly, inviting waitress, it was very welcome. Both my partner and I had diet restrictions that day. Our waitress *anticipated* our requests to change our orders and was completely open to accommodating our requests. She was clearly out to please and give us extraordinary service.

Every item that was served on our table was very tasty and prepared very well -- especially met our diet restriction requests. My curry chicken salad was a touch runny, but over delicious. The wild rice, sweet potato chips, grilled chicken, and veggie burgers were all absolutely wonderful.

Everyone's water glasses, and sweet tea, were constantly being filled up. The attention to our needs was exceptional.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Winter Springs, Florida
“Beware the crusted salmon”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

After trying to find one restaurant with an average entree cost less than 20.00 we gave up and settled on the last one we checked, because by then we were tired and hungry. We found that the restaurant had a very nice outside area that is nestled among rhododendron. If it was only for the atmosphere we would have been fine but unfortunately we were also hungry. After much deliberation and on being told that it was the most popular dish on the menu, I settled for the vidalia onion encrusted salmon. I thought I might be in trouble when it came out square cut on a bed of mashed potatoes. It did have asparagus and a baked tomato, both of which which were the high point of the dish. I really believe I could have had a better tasting piece of crusted salmon out of the freezer at Publix and baked in my own oven. My stomach was queasy by the time I left. The salmon also had a fishy taste, which is always a bad sign for good fish. My wife said the cranberry, goat cheese and sugared pecan salad was good. The maple brie was okay and the tomato basil soup was very good. My wife did agree that the salmon was very unimpressive. For a 25.00 entree you should expect more. I have learned not to complain about bad food on a good night out because it is more about the night out than just the food. I was tempted but controlled my self, although I should have politely asked for another dish

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
wtg2008, Manager at Wild Thyme Gourmet, responded to this review, December 26, 2009
I am very troubled to hear that this diner did not enjoy his meal with us. As he said, the Vidalia Onion Crusted Wild Salmon is indeed one of our most popular dishes. While I understand that customers are sometimes reluctant to speak with a manager or owner about something they do not care for, good restaurateurs would far prefer that they do, so that they can get their diner something that they are happy with. It is important to us as a small, owner operated restaurant that our guests are happy. We would far prefer they let us know that they are not satisfied immediately, when we can try to address the problem. It is a shame that this diner chose to speak up now when we can do nothing to help fix the problem. We encourage diners in general to not be shy about telling owners what you care for and do not care for. Tell them as soon as possible! In this way we can immediately adjust things in order to provide diners with the best evening possible.
Ormond Beach, Florida
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

After eating here a year ago, we went back with another couple. The restaurant had changed owners. The food was okay, but not the ambience. We had a foreign person in crappy jeans, tennis shoes constantly standing by the table trying to constantly serve water, etc. .. It just wasn't the same as a previous trip and even though we would be in the area for a month, we would not go back. This visit was in May 2009.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Alabama
“Not a Deli”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2009

Deli style is totatlly wrong. This is a gem among all the excellent restaurants in Highlands. whenever we vaction here, we set our schedule around opennings at Wild Thyme Gourmet. The food is wonderful and the prices very fair. be sure to ask for the lemon cake for desert.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere