“Good food, but be sure to check your bill” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 43 restaurants in Highlands
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Dessert, Private Dining
Description: Dinning Options: Lunch & Dinner,
Birmingham, Alabama
“Good food, but be sure to check your bill”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2008

I had lunch at Wild Thyme Gourmet last Saturday with three girfriends and we thoroughly enjoyed the meal. Each ordered a different entree and everyone was very pleased with her selection. I had a glass of wine that was fantastic... in fact, I bought a bottle to take home. The food was wonderful... HOWEVER, watch the bill.

Wild Thyme will not split the bill, so one person must pay for the entire ticket. Then each diner will settle up with that person. Today the girl who picked up the lunch bill discovered her 18% gratuity had been increased to a flat 20% without her knowledge. Also, when I checked my bank account online I found that a 20% gratuity had been added to the bottle of wine I purchased.

The food and service is great, but their billing practices are unacceptable.

ThymeHighlands, owner at Wild Thyme Gourmet, responded to this review, September 26, 2008
We are sorry to read this review.
The writer never contacted us or disputed the charge. Had the writer contacted us we would have explained to her that when she reviews her statement online soon after a transaction, she is looking at charges that have been approved, not necessarily the actual charges. The credit card processor, not Wild Thyme Gourmet, approves charges for 20% over the bill in restaurants so that their client can add a reasonable tip without running over their credit card limit. We wish they did not, because it creates confusion that we are left to try to explain. This is undoubtedly why the reviewer thought that the 18% tip had been changed to 20% and why she thought that she was being charged a 20% on a retail purchase of a bottle of wine. It is a pity that the reviewer did contact us directly rather than assuming we were dishonest. I tried to email the reviewer, but have had no response. Since she did not dispute her charges, I must assume that her card was billed correctly.

90% Recommend
Alabama
“Wonderful restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2007

Small restaurant, can be a little crowded and noisy inside. 5-6 tables outside better, if no rain threatened. They don't allow cell phone useage (a very good thing). Excellent menu, very tastey, gourmet. Soups are fantastic.

Dade City, Florida
“Nice restaurant good service and interesting food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2007

The restaurant has both indoor and outdoor seating and features some very interesting cuisine. I paid around $38.00 for two people for a delicious chicken wrap, steak sanwitch and two glasses of white wine. Look at the pictures to see the outside dinning which is really the way to go when the weather is good.

Atlanta, Georgia
“Excellent Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2007

My husband and I were looking at restaurant menus in the visitors center, and this menu just jumped out as being a little bit interesting and different (and reasonably priced). To be quite honest it got our mouths watering :-) We fell asleep in the afternoon, so we forgot to book a table for, but when we turned up at the restaurant on a Sat night the manager/owner was extremely friendly and accommodating, and managed to slot us into a table in the very pleasant sunroom. Great atmosphere (a cosy and cottagy interior, a very pleasant sunroom and also a lovely patio). Excellent food and wine at great prices - it all tasted as fantastic as we had hoped! Wonderful service. The only negative was that the desserts didn't sound that exciting. I would definitely eat here again though.