“A cozy little restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Madison's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 45 Restaurants in Highlands
Cuisines: American
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 4th Street
Description: Innovative farm-fresh cuisine in an environment of relaxed elegance. Most menu items sourced locally and grown organically at The Farm at Old Edwards. Dine indoors year-round or outdoors in the warm months at the Wine Garden beside the beautiful waterfall.
Columbus, Georgia
“A cozy little restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

The food was all good and not too pricey. The vegetable wraps and mountain trout made me wish very much I had not chosen Chicken Salad. Eat chicken salad at home; it was nothing special, and I'd say the fish or vegetable wraps. Desserts were great too. Atmosphere, especially on a wet, rainy day, was perfect. Good service too.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Always a must-do in NC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We are seasonal visitors to the western NC area, and have been coming to Madison's for several years. The food is only surpassed by the service here. We (I) drive 20 miles over mountain roads to get to this restaurant at least 4 times during our 2-4 week stay in Sapphire, and it is well worth it. Lunch or dinner, this is one of the best restaurants we have been to in our considerable travels.

• Visited June 2013
“Anniversary Evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is one of my favorite restaurants in Highlands . Our waitress with the English accent and warm smile brighten up the otherwise stormy evening. We started our dinner with a Salad which was large and fresh and with fresh sliced thin beets. I had the Chef's creation of Halibut and my husband had the trout. One always has to worry about fishy taste when ordering fish but this restaurant had very Fresh Fish and sauces that matched the flavor of the sides. I so loved the farm garden-side of vegetables of asparagus and fresh beets. I think there were also October beans on the side. The wine navigator was a little stuffy which I remember from last year. He needs to work on his warm fun feelings of enjoying the wines he is presenting.
The fresh red rose petals that were on our table put the extra nice touch on our evening.
I will definitely be back!!

Birmingham, Alabama
“Beware if cloudy! Service incredibly terrible. Free ice tea insulting!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The restaurant is in a lovely outdoor setting with umbrellaed tables on the Main Street of Highlands and is part of the posh Old Edwards Inn. I took three out of town friends to lunch there. The day of our visit it looked cloudy, and I asked if provisions were made if it rained. We were assured that all would be taken care of.
After we place our order, it started to drizzle. We huddled under the umbrella over our table as a downpour hit. The waiter said there was nothing they could do as he served us soggy chicken salad, with water dripping from his clothes. Other diners finished quickly and left, but we had just been served and there was nowhere to go. We got soaking wet! We complained but were told they could not move us inside to the connected hotel restaurant. As a final insult, the waiter explained as he brought out bill, due to our inconvenience, THE ICE TEA WAS FREE. Embarrassing way to entertain friends. I will never go back. I certainly expected more from an Old Edwards Inn establishment.

• Visited August 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Scaly Mountain, North Carolina, United States
“once again, delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Decided to have my favorite aunt to experience one of my all time favorite dining experiences. This time we did lunch on a Saturday. It was hopping with people due to a rainy holiday weekend. We settled in and ordered Lavender Collins cocktails and began our meal with the in-house cured charcuterie tray and a beautiful cheese tray. Tasty tasty. I ordered the special pizza of the day. Tell me this doesn't tempt you to try it..black-eyed pea hummus, topped with carrots, cauliflower, arugula, goat cheese, onions and white cheddar cheese. I will admit, I am adventurous when it comes to food and this was excellent! Other entered at the table were shrimp and grits (wow) and a steak tips sandwich (yummy). And of course we had to have dessert and as I am a HUGE Creme Brulee fan, I had a buttermilk and lemon one with a gorgeous biscotti on the side, and my aunt tried the peach sorbet which was a nice ray of sunshine on a dismal, gray day:) Thanks again for an amazing experience.