“Old Southern Elegance” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 hotels in Highlands
Clearwater, Florida
“Old Southern Elegance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

You'll want to stay in this beautiful resort. Elegant appointments and fabulous attention to your every need. We stayed in the Falls Cottages, and every suite has a beautiful porch and fireplace. Madison's restaurant has a menu that will impress even the most serious "foodie".

• Stayed June 2013
Amanda S, Marketing Director at Old Edwards Inn and Spa, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
RHuckle, we're so glad you were among the first to stay in our new Falls Cottages and that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for posting. We look forward to seeing you back at Old Edwards soon!

639 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
columbia, sc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

This is the third stay at Old Edwards Inn for my daughters and myself. I really didn't think they could improve on anything, but somehow they have. Maybe because we are here during the week, we were upgraded to a two bedroom suite. It is sumptuous! The service is always spectacular, and with the addition of Arts coffee bar, just about perfect! Dinner at Madison's is what has clearly been tweaked, from the knowledgable wait staff (Jeffery) to one of the best meals we've had anywhere, we can't wait till our next time visiting! Worth every penny!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
my2girlsmom, we are do glad to have you as a loyal guest of Old Edwards! And happy to know you enjoy spending time with your girls here. Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor.
Bryson City, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

What an amazing golf course to play, the views are to doe for. You can tell by the shape of the fairways, greens and roughs that the grounds crew is always hard at work. Great fluff to hit off of and greens are beautiful and a work or art. Hit Pro-V ones off the driving range with staff to answer any questions you have. Carts are spit shined clean with on board computer and GPS. Two comfort stations are spaced a part for your every need and well stocked. I was playing as a guest but the staff went out of their way to make me feel welcome.

Can't wait to play again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Paul, thank you for reviewing Old Edwards Club. So glad you enjoyed playing it, and we look forward to your next visit!
Somerset, Ky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We had a "Slip Away & Save/Comfort/Joy" package which I thought included breakfast. It did not. Dinner was included and the server was very helpful in helping us decide what to order. The meal was very good, as was lunch and breakfast.
The pool area and hot tub were very nice and very clean as was the spa.
The only problem I had with the room was that the extra pillows were stored in the closet floor. This is the area that most guest would normally store their shoes. I do not want to put my face on pillows that have been stored in that area. This is not a serious problem, but with such a nice room, some other place should be found.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Raysea1188, thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor, and for your helpful feedback about the pillows. We are now seeking other alternatives for extra pillow storage in the cozy inn rooms. We felt like a corner of the closet would be good if pillows were always there then shoes wouldn't be. But of course if a guest is using the pillows, the shoes could always find their way to that area. We're happy you enjoyed the rest of your stay and look forward to having you back.
Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I was extremely turned off at first by the Hotel.
1) Someone showed us around (I thought he was taking us to our rooms) but he was taking us on a tour of the grounds (all the building are disconnected which I don't really like) to the Edwards showroom, the Edwards spa, the Edwards gift shop, where I can spend my money. Seriously?! I've been driving for 6 hours. You're not taking me to my room?!?! which leads to..
2) "Is my room ready?" Response: "I cannot tell you that" (are you serious?, do you know how silly that sounds? Is this the CIA?) which leads to..
3) Walking around till the room is ready, all the bldgs are disconnected and the property is huge, so the pool, the spa, everything you have to walk to drive to get to. Now this is the South so it could be raining, hot, humid, snowing, at any given moment. Though the landscaping is fantastic, the property is plopped in the middle of town so you are surrounded by streets, and parking lots, no view at all to speak of.. and the Highlands has some of the most beautiful views in America, too bad.
4) The pool area is very uninviting, there is a big sign that reads "TOWELS DO NOT RESERVE CHAIRS, PEOPLE DO!" (I swear I started laughing.)
5) There is the Inn, the Lodge, and the Cottages. Don' stay at the Inn, the rooms are horribly small and cramped. I could not even get to the dresser without crawling over the bed. Honestly. The TV is mounted on a side wall and swivels maybe 10 degrees, so you have to be in the bathroom to watch it. I would have preferred a Holiday Inn room .. by far. The Lodge and Cottages however are quite nice.
6) The food in the hotel is outstanding.
7) The lounge area is so quiet and stuffy that when you walk in every turns to glare at you, as if daring you to make a noise or say something. It belongs in a movie.
8) The spa is excellent, really great actually, and the value is good. My room was so crappy I basically stayed in the spa for 2 days.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
neurovictory, thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor, and we're glad you enjoyed your time at the spa. We regret that we were unable to accommodate your request for an early check-in. If you were to visit again, I suggest a room somewhere other than the Historic Inn where the rooms are smaller. Also, in addition to Hummingbird Lounge and Piano Bar, we have now opened a much more casual bar experience called Art's at The Lodge that you might enjoy.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

First, we are from Michigan and were meeting friends in FL for our summer vaction and OEI has been on my bucket list for sometime now. It was a great half way point and we stayed for 2 nights. We wanted to stay a week but couldn't. ( next time ) If you are thinking about visiting OEI don't hesitate. It's a truly an amazing place. As soon as we arrived ( at 1pm and our room was ready ) we were handed a glass of champagne took a 3 min tour of the building and proceeded to our room. Hickory Lodge rm 801. This room had an outside patio with 2 chairs and it connected to the pool/cabana area.
The pool is a mineral pool and it felt amazing. The grounds/landscaping was breath taking and the service was in incredible! As others reviews state OEI is spread out throughout the town but that did not bother us. At ever turn there is a little bench or fireplace tucked away to sit down and take the scenery all in. In the morning we walked to the Lodge to get a coffee and relax in the rockers on the huge porch and even played croquette. If you are looking for hussle and bussel this is not for you. The town closes at 6 and mostly everything at OEI closes at 10 ( this is the only thing I would change) if the pool is open 24 hrs it would be nice if the cabana was open until at least 8.

The new area was opening while we were there and I am excited about that. We love kids but to me this is not kid friendly. And the new area with its own pool and cottages is for families. So if you have children staying there will probably work out best for you.

Madison's = wine list was very large and pricey. The food was amazing!

Spa= I had the Javanese Lulur massage and my fiancé had a deep tissue and we were both extremely happy with the services.

We also mentioned we were interested in getting married there and we received all the info the next day from the special event staff.

We can't wait to go back! If you are concerned about pricing take it from us ... You really get what you pay for here. Service, quality and luxury.

Warning! The drive through the mountains to get to OEI is quite frightening. Lol. We said ( oh s***!) a few times!!! You pass a few waterfalls and they are amazing! But do not drive through there at night.

• Stayed May 2013
MI_travelers2013, thank you for your beautiful review on TripAdvisor. We are so happy that you enjoyed your experience with Old Edwards. Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials! Perhaps we will see you back for the wedding.
Trumbull, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Our very first time at the Old Edwards and we were very impressed...after speaking at length with Julie (in reservations) regarding which room to choose, I know we made the right decision. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite with a private patio, living room as well as a private screened-in porch...lovely decore and accomodations....the only issue we had was sometimes the used glasses weren't picked up and replaced everyday...we had to call Housekeeping to get this resolved but it was resolved immediately and graciously...we loved spending relaxing time at the pool - we were very happy to hear that the new pool (with the new cottages) will be for children & families and the existing pool will be for adults only...I think this is a wonderful decision...not that we don't like kids - but when we want a relaxing environment - screaming kids in the pool are not what we were looking for.
All the servers and just about anyone you came into contact was just delightful and very friendly - no request was ever too large. The Spa was lovely too - had a facial which was very nice (but not the best I've ever had) but the facility was special and so very relaxing and soothing.
We will definately return in the future to this very special place...

Room Tip: speak directly to reservations on the phone and discuss your wants and needs to make sure you pick t...