“Awesome Inn” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Florida
“Awesome Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2006

My husband and I just got back from the Main Street Inn and it was a really great place. The rooms were immaculate and were well appointed. Antiques and wonderful bedding filled the room. We stayed in room #5 which had a sitting area . We looked in some other rooms that were vacant and they were all really lovely. You might want to consider if your room is in the front of the house or not because in season, you might hear traffic towards the front of the house (FYI). Our room was quiet, but it wasn't high season yet. Also, you should be aware that there is no central AC . They have units in each room, so that might also be a consideration for someone (a little noisy, but not too bad). The breakfast was sensational!! The inn is also very centrally located. The only negative I have is that the owner was not exactly the most hospitable. He never asked if we needed help when trying to pick a restaurant and he actually never even introduced himself to us. The first thing he asked for when we arrived was our credit card for the balance of the room. Not exactly a good first immpression, but if it weren't for that situation, I would highly recommend the Main Street Inn. Great town with great shops and restaurants also.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2006

We just returned from a night at the Main Street Inn. The place was very clean, the breakfast was delicious. The owners are wonderful hosts. Great location, right in town. I highly recommend this B & B.

• Stayed May 2006
Columbia, South carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2006

We spent six days and five nights at the Main Street Inn during the summer of 2005. The Innkeepers, Jan & Farrel were very accomodating, friendly and provided outstanding service and a very relaxing week in those beautiful mountains. If you're considering a mountain trip we highly recommend Highlands, N.C. and the Main Street Inn Bed & Breakfast as you will not be disappointed. The breakfasts are outstanding, the rooms very clean and the hospitality second to none. We enjoyed our experience so much that we've all ready booked another week for the summer of 2006. There is so much to do in the Highlands area. After touring and shopping during the day you will welcome your beautiful room in this Inn and all the fine restaurants in the Highlands area. We're all ready looking forward to our return trip this summer.

• Stayed June 2005
grayson, georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2006

My wife and I booked the "Owners Quarters", a nice spacious retreat on the second floor in the back of the original house. We found the accomodations exceptionally clean and comfortable. The innkeeper's were very friendly and helpful with information about the town. The location is very good, situated on a hill above Main street. Excellent dining and shopping is well within walking distance. The innkeeper was very knowledgeable as to choosing a restaurant and even phoned in our reservations for us. We had two breaksfasts at the inn and both meals were very good with a nice buffet selection. The food is home cooked southern style with a touch of flair. Sure, you might hear some traffic and the sounds of daily life outside, but we wouldn't expect a soundproof room in a 100 year old inn. Nights were very quiet, Highlands seems very low key and safe. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and found nothing dissapointing. We look forward to returning.

• Stayed March 2006
Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2005

A great little hotel/B&B! We've stayed several times and like it more every visit. The charm and ambience of the Inn match the atmosphere of this well-preserved mountain town. Outstanding breakfasts are served with genuine hospitality. Each room in the 100+ year-old main house has its own personality but is always spotlessly clean and comfortable. Rooms in the detached "guest house" are more conventional. A vanilla-luxury city hotel it is not, but for a comfortable, relaxing stay that turns the clock back several generations, don't miss it. Even the English could learn about historic B&B's from the Main Street Inn!

• Stayed October 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2005

This was our 6th stay at Main Street Inn. The accommodations are always
wonderful. The food is something to die for. The Innkeepers are always
glad to help with information on where to go and how to get there.

The rooms are clean, comfortable and welcoming. We consider Main St. Inn, Highlands, N.C. our home away from home.

The Streets

Palm Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2005

My wife was working in Atlanta and we live in Miami. I used to live in Asheville. I had hoped for a romantic getaway. It didn't work out that way. Upon arrival, we were given one of the two downstairs rooms (out of approximately 16 rooms in the main house). I asked if I could have an upstairs room since a cursory inspection of our room indicated that it was next to the common area, underneath another room, and would probably be noisy. It was also small. I was told that this was not possible. However, when we returned from dinner that night, there was a vacancy sign outside and the other downstairs room was occupied. When I walked around the second floor the next day, it appeared that nicer rooms were available.

Our room did not have any "flat space" to unpack our toiletries, purse and billfold, car keys, etc. Although the bed was nice, the other furniture was “yard sale” vintage. The downstairs rooms also have a low ceiling and are somewhat claustrophobic. During the day, the street noise was objectionable (the term "Main Street" probably should have been a clue). However, after about nine or ten at night, it became much quieter.

Our stay was from Friday until Tuesday. As of Sunday night, we were the only guests other than a "newly wed" couple who had been in the separate guest house the night before. Although it was reasonable to expect this couple to be somewhat rambunctious, they were given the room right over us; although at least fourteen other rooms were available (there was no one else there but us). Our new “friends” stayed above us both nights and were a nightmare. I’m not talking about amorous noises but running and jumping and throwing things around their room. When we got back from dinner one night, they had their blinds open and the lights were on. They were jumping on the bed. They kept us up well past midnight both nights. In summary, I don’t care what the other guests do; I just don’t think it was necessary to include us in their activities and to keep us up both nights. I did complain the second night and the owner let us move to the other downstairs room (at one in the morning).

As best I could determine, the Main Street Inn has approximately 20 rooms. This includes four in the guest house which are priced substantially less than the rooms in the main house. The 16 rooms in the main house include two downstairs rooms and fourteen upstairs rooms. When I booked a “deluxe” room, it was not explained to me that I was booking one of the downstairs rooms which are basically “overflow.” The two downstairs rooms are substantially inferior to the upstairs rooms. The main house is probably 100 years old. The renovations have created vaulted ceilings for the upstairs rooms but the downstairs rooms still have the original ceiling height making them more claustrophobic. They are also next to the common areas and the stairs which results in more noise. The floors are all wood and wood beams and the guests in the lower rooms can hear the guests above them when the other guests are walking around. The upstairs rooms are also furnished better. I paid $165 a night for the downstairs room and, for $10 more (or maybe the same price), we could have stayed upstairs. It is my contention that the inn keeper should have explained this to me when I made the reservation and paid the deposit. Our four night stay was longer than anyone else who were there at that time and I feel that more effort should have been made to accommodate us. I also feel that I should have been offered a nicer room when we checked in even I would have had to pay another $10 or $20 a night. I also feel that it was unnecessary, when we were the only guests at the inn, to put another couple in the room above us when another fourteen rooms were available.

I also have an issue as to value. I paid $40 a night more than we were paying to stay at the Ritz Carlton in Atlanta, and the Main Street inn is not the Ritz Carlton.

In summary, I was disappointed with my experience. I take responsibility for some of this. I guess I should have demanded a better room or to be moved when the other couple was put over us. On the other hand, I didn’t come to spend the weekend demanding anything, I just was wanted a tranquil and relaxing getaway. In any event, I was disappointed.

• Stayed September 2005
, Co-Owner at Main Street Inn Highlands, responded to this review, October 25, 2005
Hello, Everyone and Miami (9/25/05). At Main Street Inn all rooms are reserved by the guest and confirmed by room number. Each room is unique. We do not ever ‘assign’ rooms. The inn was full on the Saturday through this reservation, so we cannot give away someone else’s chosen room.

We do not listen at our guests’ doors to see how much noise they are making but if we had be told they were jumping on the bed we would have called them to save our mattress.

Yes, we are on Main Street (hence the name: Main Street Inn). There is traffic during the day. Our place is next to shopping & dining.

When we were woken up after midnight and asked for the room next door, we immediately said ‘sure’. It was Monday night and not reserved.

Main Street Inn is over 100 years old, as noted on our website. B&B’s that are 100 years old are not the Ritz. B&B’s of this nature are visited for their character. We have lots of pictures and accurate information on our web page.

We hope our future guests will balance this review with all the other ones listed. Thank you and Peace.

Been to Main Street Inn Highlands? Share your experiences!