“Elegant simplicity!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Oxford, NC
“Elegant simplicity!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

For three years, my husband has treated me with a trip to Fire Mountain. I have two words to describe this B&B, elegant simplicity. We have taken cruises, spent time in Key West, the Bahamas, hit all inclusive couples resorts in Negril, Jamica, New York City, but this is my favorite of all of these. This is a time that a couple can focus on each other and spend time walking and talking and sitting in front off a roaring fire. We go home each year refreshed in our relationship with each other. I love having a birthday because this is my treat. Hiram and Matthew will take care of everything from arranging for massages to flowers and daily gifts to be delivered to the door of the cabin. The breakfast is quietly delivered piping hot to your cabin door and is one of our favorite times. Thank you Hiram and Matthew and all of the Fire Mountain staff for making my birthdays memorable all year long. Angela, Oxford, NC

Room Tip: If seclusion is what you seek, the cabins are wonderful. You can spend an entire week without seein...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

The Fire Mountain Inn sits atop Happy Hill with views to the mountains and the Dillard, Ga valley. This was a weekend getaway for us and our accomodations were in the Red Thunder room within the main Inn. The views from this room were tremendous. A great way to start and end your day. Breakfast was fantastic both mornings and the staff was always polite and courteous. Great hiking and dining are within miles of the Inn. We enjoyed a hike Saturday morning and a couple of great meals in downtown Highlands, NC on Friday and Saturday nights. It was really tough to leave on Sunday morning.

We used the weekend getaway as a way to unwind and relax and the setting and courteous staff ensured we were able to do so. I enjoyed my experience so much that I booked a reservation for my parents and their 40th anniversary.

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

This was my first stay at Fire Mountain and I can't wait to go back! We stayed in one of the rooms; it was spacious, comfy and the view was absolutely amazing. Watching the sunrise and sunset each day was spectacular. The inn is conveniently located a few miles from downtown Highland, which has wonderful restaurants, spas and even some nightlife. It is also situated near great hiking trails and natural attractions. Upon check-in, Matthew gave us a map of nearby hikes and great restaurant recommendations. He and Hiram were so very helpful the entire trip and they were spot-on with all of their recommendations. We enjoyed a homecooked breakfast each morning which was delicious too. One of my favorite parts of the trip was stargazing by the bonfire - a definite 'must-do' if you are there over the weekend.

Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

With the hustle and bustle of everyday routines and disturbances, it is easy to forget our true selves. Fire Mountain Inn offers an exquisite way to reconnect with yourself, your loved one, and with nature. We have had the astounding opportunity to do so twice and both times our expectations had been exceeded. We stayed in the Satohla at the Inn. It is a simple and refreshing room of great expanse providing both sunset and sunrise views as well as a wood burning fireplace which we thoroughly enjoyed. If ever there were hosts to rival hosts, it would be Matthew and Hiram who see to your every need with charm and grace. We will be returning to Fire Mountain many times over, if for no other reason than simply to escape the cell phone and emails!

Room Tip: We have stayed in the Satohla both times, but I feel quite confident that there is no poor choice in...
tabraha
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

The Highlands of North Carolina are a relaxing and tucked away destination to start with. Fire Mountain takes that to the next level. A night time arrival added a bit of adventure and mystery to our destination as we really had no clue what Fire Mountain looked like until we awoke the following morning and peered out from our cabin! We were shown our cabin and after starting a fire for us Mathew offered some suggestions on dining and activities. His advices was spot on and we had a some world-class food in town as a result.

The sunsets are fantastic and I qualify that by adding I've seen some good ones ranging from Maui to Costa Rica. Fire Mountain is also a stargazer's paradise. No ambient light noise, no haze and no low level plane traffic. The lack of television etc all lend to the focus on nature's offerings and being in a secluded area really kills that last bit of distraction off.

The facility and amenities are well maintained and the cabins are spread out very nicely. We stayed in the cabin "Cullasaja" and it was perfect for us. We could hear the wind's dull roar while our fireplace crackled softly. Having a good supply of firewood already there is also a nice touch and beats the "grocery store bundle" that are necessary at many mountain cabins we have stayed at in the past. The cabin was softly lit and warmed in anticipation of our arrival which is one of those touches that you can expect while at Fire Mountain.

The art gallery was a pleasant surprise and my only regret is that I didn't walk back to grab a bottle of wine before heading up there. I learned my lesson and made sure I had it for the Saturday night bonfire. :) We enjoyed talking with others at the bonfire; sharing our experiences and comparing notes on their stay at the inn and our stay in a cabin. The Inn also sounds like a wonderful experience.

We of course will return to Fire Mountain but will have to work things out with our schedule so that next time we can stay longer! I would imagine that they have a large percentage of return clientele.

charlotte,NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My husband and I just returned from our 15th stay at Fire Mountain. When we first started visiting this wonderfut resort, we stayed for a long weekend and we have grown to love it so much it has morphed into week-long stays. We always like to stay in the cabin, "Hemlock." It is a spacious cabin with warm honey-pine walls, great new flooring, full kitchen and a large stone fireplace. But, by far, our favorite feature is the hot tub that sits on a large deck with a beautiful view. There is nothing better than sitting in a hot tub in the winter, looking at the view and knowing that there is a roaring fire to warm you up when you make the dash back inside! We enjoy the quiet and the privacy. The staff is quietly attentive and our every need was met. We also enjoy the fact the location is so secluded and quiet. Every day life is crazy. But, when we come to Fire Mountain, we can get away from all the demands on our time and reconnect with each other. At the end of our stays we are always refreshed and sad to leave!

The hosts, Matthew and Hiram, are always warm and professional. We look forward to seeing and chatting with them upon our arrival (and departure!). They make us feel welcome and "at home."

If you want a quiet, secluded place to get away from the stress of our world today, this is the place to go!!

Jo & Jerry

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We’ve been here multiple times and appreciate the consistency in setting and staff. Don’t be suspicious of these multiple positive comments from essentially every guest. I know from experience that the writers are describing their stay accurately. My experience is with the cabins, but I am certain that all accommodations excel in their categories. The site is a quiet getaway where you can visit with the few others you might see, or you can be assured of absolutely privacy. Stay away if you are looking for televisions and human noise. Do not look for a telephone or alarm clock. The drive, the paths, the art gallery, the views, chairs and bonfire: attention to detail abounds. Your hosts aim to please and can guide you to the abundant nearby scenery or any shopping you need. The support staff will unobtrusively embellish your stay. I see no room for improvement and always look forward to my next stay at Fire Mountain.

Room Tip: Call. You will probably be talking with Hiram or Mathew, onsite, accurate and thorough. If you want...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Fire Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!