“Great design, lots of energy, a fun pub” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 43 restaurants in Highlands
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Description: The Ugly Dog Pub is a casual pub with beer, wine and mixed drinks. Our food is very good and affordable. A great place to come meet friends or make friends. We have live music on Wednesdays and Saturdays, sports on TV and Special events to keep it fun. We are a relaxed place, so come in, seat yourself, or come up to the bar and order a drink and something to eat.
Asheville, North Carolina
“Great design, lots of energy, a fun pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Good food, lots of beverage choices, several TVs with games going. THE place to have a beer with friends in Highlands. Pub food - Cajun flavorings, Cajun shrimp on a salad, spicy chicken in a wrap, blue cheese on homemade chips. All good. Loud, but a very friendly crowd.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

81% Recommend
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Ugly is only in the name”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

On our trip to Highlands, we were actually told about this place by a man that we encountered on an early morning hike. He was on the rock ledge with his dog, and we were asking about places to eat and drink. He told us about the Ugly dog .He said that he knew the owners and that it was a favorite place of his to visit. We knew he was serious when he reached into his coat pocket to remove a can of beer, and then take a drink. Honest true story. He said that he drove up every morning to "drink" his breakfast and then I told my wife on the hike down, that it a local drinking beer at 10 am tells you about a good bar, it might be worth a visit.
We went on with the course of our day, but we kept joking about the pub. We remembered that the man told us that they were having a live band this evening, so we decided that we would go listen to the band and have a few drinks. The fact that the pub is located within walking distance of our lodging made it more attractive.
We arrived at about 7 pm and were pleasantly surprised by the environment. It was nice, clean, smoke free and had well placed TV's showing the football games. The largest majority of the patrons were in business casual dress and they were mostly couples eating dinner. My wife and I have visited some of the less than favorable pubs on our trips, and regardless, we always have a good time. In fact, I had anticipated something different and actually felt out of place. We were properly dressed, just returning from dinner, but I had planned on a low lit room, with locals at the bar talking about local news and gossip.
We sat at a table that was advantageous to hear the band when it was to start at 9 pm. We ordered drinks, a Guinness for me and local pale ale for the wife. The pours were small, considering they are $4.75 a piece. I have grown accustomed to a large pour when ordering Guinness. I would suggest that they upsize their glasses.
My second complaint is that we had eaten prior to arriving, and as the wait staff was bringing plates by us, they looked great. Good pub food and a nice draft is a great way to cap off an evening. Our server was very attentive and our glasses were only empty upon our choosing. I kept thinking that I would be able to enjoy some of the food, but I had exceeded my limits at dinner and would have to resolve to the drink and music.
The band was good, although they did not start setting up until right at 9 pm. Since the pub was not very busy, they had ample opportunity to set up and be in position to play right at 9 pm, but that it just a personal suggestion.
Although we did not order any mixed drinks, the the menu offers several "specialties" for $10.00 each. Still a little high priced for the size of the glasses. I did look over the menu and a couple could eat nicely here for about $35.00-$40.00 dollars, drinks not included.
My wife and I were both surprised to see the man that had told us about the pub. He had shown up about 8 pm, and was outside smoking with a small group of other people. They seemed to be locals. He then came in and gave a rousting cheer to the band members as they were eating dinner. It was obvious that his alcohol based breakfast merged into an alcohol based lunch and dinner. All the same, he was not out of place and was very entertaining. You could tell that the servers were accustomed to his presence.
It was a good experience and if not for the fact that the day’s activities had depleted our energy, we would have stayed longer, but after sitting for 3 hours, we called it a night.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Good Watering Hole”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

Ugly Dog is a welcome addition to a competitive market here in Highlands. Their niche is "local pub" and they are doing a credible job. Locals gather at the bar and appear to enjoy beer and conversation. We go for the light and tasty food (one of our favorites is blue cheese slaw) friendly service, decent wine list, and reasonable prices. Not the place for a quiet romantic dinner, but a nice spot.

“Fabulous burgers!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We ate there our first night upon our arrival at Old Edwards Inn. Perfect for a large group with young children. Very casual. Burgers were out of this world! Yum! Yum!

Visited August 2012
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
“Good food...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Food was tasty....service was lacking, but good food, and fun experience. Who ever get's to eat at the dog house?!?!

Visited September 2012