“It's Our Favorite” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Lakeland, Florida
“It's Our Favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Lakeside is our absolute favorite restaurant in Highlands. The trout there is better than anyhwere in the world...and they were kind enough to give my wife the tomato soup recipe...she's a raving fan for life

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Anchorage, Alaska
“Decent experience but not my favorite in the Highlands”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

I went to Lakeside Restaurant based on the Tripadvisor reviews and believe the overall experience was ok to decent (3.5/5), especially when I compare it to Wolfgangs, which I believe is the best in the Highlands.

This is a relatively small restaurant with a lot of tables, and it left me feeling squeezed in a bit and I am not a large or obese person. The service was good, but I was not overly impressed with my fish entree, which I felt was slightly bland and dry. The wine list was decent but I like Wolfgang's more. I believe the price of entrees was slightly higher than Wolfgangs, but not significantly. Still, I felt the value was so-so.

We didn't feel extremely welcomed by the owner who said hello but spent a lot of time talking with others who seemed to be good friends or regulars.

Overall, the experience was not bad, but it is not my first choice in the Highlands. I'll likely give it a second chance next year.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Highlands, North Carolina
“Highlight of Highlands Culinary Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

My husband and I were grateful to be included in a dinner party Saturday night at Lakeside Restaurant's Justin Wine and Gourmet dinner. The food was superlative and perfectly paired with Justin's wine. Marty, Lakeside's owner, went out of his way to accommodate my husband's special needs despite the extremely busy evening. We were impressed by Marty's promotion of Highland's Christmas dinner, that benefits the community's non-profit organizations and look forward to participating this year. In summary, a wonderful evening!!

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fort Myers, Florida
“Was disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

After being told this was the place to go in Highlands for seafood, we were disappointed in our trout as it was tasteless and my husband's piece had lots of bones. Was noisy and crowded and didn't have any view.

Visited October 2013
Destin, Florida
“Best in Highlands!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We have been going to Highlands for years and Lakeside continues to be our favorite restaurant. We had dinner Saturday night and it was outstanding. The chef/owner is very friendly and speaks with all the guests. He sincerely wants you to have a great dining experience. We had the special for the night which was fresh pan-seared Black Grouper served over Mexican rice with a Chipotle sauce. This is the best meal I have eaten since we ate at Lakeside last year. Lakeside continues to serve the best fresh fish I eat all year, including Destin, Florida. They have an extensive wine menu that is reasonable priced for such a fine restaurant. We had blueberry bread pudding with whiskey sauce for dessert. The BEST bread pudding I have ever eaten and I try it anytime it is on a menu. The staff is very friendly and appreciative of you dining with them. The servers are outstanding and always attentive to your needs. It was just a perfect evening to end our annual trip to Highlands. You will not be disappointed. They close for the off season in a few weeks. Try them soon or you will have to wait until the spring when they reopen.

• Visited October 2013