“Triad Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Local cuisine
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Triad Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Finally took the opportunity to have lunch at this High Point favorite (5 years old now) that emphasizes fresh ingredients and excellent service in a small, intimate environment. This place is indeed small, and busy - they apparently do a very large takeout business, and folks were hurrying in and out to pick up orders. They offer a nice variety of salads, soups, sandwiches, and plates for lunch.

We were greeted immediately and warmly, and chose the small bar area for our seating - I very often eat in the bar areas of restaurants, especially the smaller ones, because it is often quieter and the service is almost always excellent - and that was true here.

We ordered the Three Salad Sampler ($8.65), choosing Eggs Salad, Spicy Pimento Cheese, and Southern-Style Pasta Salad. They also offer Rosemary Chicken Salad, Tuna Salad, Potato Salad, Three Bean Salad, and Caesar Salad.

Our 3 choices were outstanding. The Pimento Cheese has some nice tang to it, and the taste and texture are very, very nice. The cheese is actually grated, using a small hole grater, and this is just an excellent version of this dish - in fact, one of the very best I've had. The Egg Salad is its equal in every way - the taste is full flavored with some zip. They blend in some chopped egg whites to give the texture a nice touch - again, as good as it can be.

The Southern-Style Pasta is also very good - nice amount of spiraled pasta, mayo based - nice in taste and the amount was more than good. We took home a pint of all 3 salads.

The Philadel-icious steak sandwich ($8.95 with a side) was also excellent. Plenty of thin slice beef, loaded on a nice crusty, toasted sub roll, with provolone cheese, portobella mushroom, carmalized onions, lettuce, tomato, and mayo. No drieness at all to this sandwich. The side was a well-sized garden salad with great blue cheese dressing. Brought half the sandwich home. Also tried their Oatmeal/Raisin cookie - OMG.

Met the owner, Steve Shellberg, and talked with him for a few minutes - nice, very friendly guy - UNC grad, extensive restaurant experience with Darryl's, Olive Garden, and others in the SE area. Proud of his restaurant, and rightly so - this is a small, but precious gem in this area.

We'll be back - can't wait to try the dinner menu.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Inconsistent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Although I really love this place, either the service or food is never in sync. My last experience was only fair. I was literally served a burnt sandwich, honestly black, and had to wait until everyone had finished eating to be noticed by our waiter. So, bummer to eat while everyone had finished, but is quite the tasty sandwich when cooked correctly. They usually have great sandwiches and salads and are most definitely reasonably priced. Will go again, but walk up to the register if I need service.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
High Point, North Carolina
“Lunch with friends...eat here!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Meet your friends here for lunch! Gracious staff, fun atmosphere and good food! Try the "To brie or not to brie" sandwich. It's great with a cup of soup! I tried a salad today; and while it was very large, the quality of lettuce used just could have been better. It was a little disappointing. The sandwiches are tastier.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tampa, Florida, United States
“Wonderful dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

My wife and I visited this place for dinner, hoping to find a nice little dinner-favorite close to home. After the first impression, it's possible we found it, or at least raised the bar to a good height.

Very friendly staff greeted us upon arrival, had some nice conversation with the (chatty, but wonderful) waitress, ordered our drinks and meals. The specials menu was very appealing (it changes frequently) and the regular menu had quite a few nice choices to choose from as well.

I chose the crab cakes entree and my wife chose the pork medallions with roasted brussels sprouts. Both were amazing, and perfectly cooked. The chef came out to make sure everyone was enjoying their meals, which was a nice touch as well. Prices were fairly reasonable, food was great, and atmosphere was pleasant, but not too fancy.

We'll definitely be back, and we're hoping it's goes this well the second time.

• Visited June 2014
Franklinton, North Carolina
“Great restaurant in High Point”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

My wife and I went to High Point on our anniversary and found this restaurant. So glad we did. We had a wonderful waitress and excellent meals. I always love a place where I can sit outside and dine, this place has a small patio in the front. I had Shrimp and Grits which were very tasty and an ample serving. My wife tried the trout and said that it was very good. If I am every in High Point again, I will definitely return here.

• Visited May 2014