“A Bit of a Disappointment” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #133 of 196 Restaurants in Hickory
Cuisines: Barbecue
Nashville
“A Bit of a Disappointment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My wife and I are originally from the Hickory area but have not visited Hickory in a number of years. We knew that Shells Bar-B-Q has always been a local and popular staple in the area and looked forward to sampling their pork bar-b-q. Now we both know that bar-b-q differs from place to place and that there are many standards for judgement. Perhaps our expectations were not in keeping with local tastes. That said, we must report that Shell's bar-b-q did not live up to the standards we expect from North Carolina, East Tennessee, and West Tennessee bar-b-q. It was way too saucy and had almost no hickory-smoked taste. It actually tasted like a bar-b-q product that is sold in cans in grocery stores. It was OK and actually tasted pretty good, but it was just not a very high quality bar-b-q product. We were very disappointed.

Visited November 2012

Taylorsville, North Carolina, United States
“My daughter loves it.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Shell's is one of my fond memories as a child when going out to eat was a luxary and not just another meal. While I feel the food is def. not as good as I remember from then, I'm glad I can share a place with my daugher that I went to as a child. And... I still love those Cherry-Vanilla-Sundrops!!!! (my daughter doesn't like them though which is funny to me).

Visited October 2012
Hickory, North Carolina
“Home town oldie”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

One of those classic hometown mom and pop restaurants that all locals know about. Good food, alright prices...but the atmosphere is just like you see on TV with the locals sitting around chit chatting and everyone feels at home here.

Visited May 2012