“Rude, don't take responsibility” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 2 Shopping in Hickory
More attraction details
Owner description: Hickory Furniture Mart is the ultimate furniture destination. Choose from countless styles and collections at affordable North Carolina prices. You’ll find some of the most reputable manufacturers, designers and expert craftsmen within the furniture industry. Open to the public six days a week, Monday – Saturday from 9am-6pm. Discounted Shop & Stay packages are available at our pet friendly partner hotels. Find out why people travel from all over the world to visit Hickory Furniture Mart.
Barnstable, Massachusetts
“Rude, don't take responsibility”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Bought a CR Laine Nadia sofa from Hickory Park. CR Laine photo of the sofa was completely misleading and the actual sofa doesn't look anything like the photo. In ordering the sofa, I stressed that I wanted a firm and very resilient cushion. That is NOT at all what I got. The cushion constantly sinks into the back of the sofa and has to be lifted out constantly. It is a very soft cushion with no resiliency. Even CR Laine told me I should not have gotten the Hamilton cushion if i had been stressing I wanted a firm cushion. And Hickory Park tells me the only alternative is a block of hard foam. What kind of service is that for a such sofas?

the sofa has a back that is far more slanted than it appears in the photo and so it is very uncomfortable. In addition, the style is like a Dracula cape collar; bizarre, to say the least.

I didn't do anything at the time because, being custom made, I figured I had no recourse. The sofa was used only by me for five months. That's it. The pillows that came with it weren't used at all.

But I kept getting emails from CR Laine, so this week I finally decided to respond by telling them how much I dislike the sofa, how rude the salesperson at Hickory Park had been on numerous occasions, how it had been a wholly unpleasant experience, all for a cost to me of $1700. To my surprise, I got a response from CR Laine from a Stephanie Boyett, who was very pleasant, even sympathetic. She agreed the photo does not represent the sofa, that the "dracula cape" back is odd, that the cushion was wrong if I'd been asking for a firm one, and that the style was being discontinued because of lack of sales. She also told me, though, that I had to go back to Hickory Park to "file a claim" in order to get resolution.
So that is what I did. And I got a Brett Cribb (phonetic) on the phone, who was completely unsympathetic, very rude, made clear Hickory Park was not going to take responsibility as a CR Laine agent, gave me nonsense about how "it's been too long" (the sofa was used 5 months by one person and is in 100% perfect shape), and he hung up on me.

Hickory Park, from what I can tell, has absolutely no problem taking $1500 from someone for a product that was misrepresented and with a cushion that was not at all what I asked for. For Mr. Cribb to say, "There is nothing we can do" is condescending and a lie. And when I told him that, he acknowledged that, "We don't want to help you.' Bingo!

They don't want to help me, will keep the money, and since you're stuck with the sofa we sold you under false pretenses, and there's nothing you can do...click.

He hung up on me.

Visited October 2012

kentucky
6 attraction reviews
“Plan to visit during a sale”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Where else can you find so much variety and selection than here? Love love looking around the Mart!

BUT you need to shop smartly. Get on their email list and shop when they have after market sales and floor clearances. Also ASK when you enter the showroom what kind of sale they may have going on. Could be some great deals you won't know about if your just strolling through.

Check the back sale rooms because I've gotten some amazing furniture that is unique. Also if something is damaged they will repair it for you and I've had great results from their workman. I got a great bookcase that was never in production that had some scratches. They fixed them and its gorgeous! Plus a one of a kind.

Of course not everything is a great deal but there are some great deals you need to look carefully. May need to visit a few times. It's hard to see it all.

The delivery guys have all been SUPER!
We were building a house so made several trips to the mart over the months. The shipping services can hold your furniture for free as you order it and it comes in. Then deliver it all at once. Great since you may not have a place to store it or are collecting many items.

Visited April 2013
Hickory, North Carolina
10 attraction reviews
“If you need furniture”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This is a multilevel building with many different companies and show rooms of furniture. Many different styles of furniture for the individual to see. Staff in stores are very helpful. Furniture varies from very modern and contemporary to traditional and old age. Shop around for best deals. If you are ordering get a definite delivery fee and time. Made in America is not assembled in America (made elsewhere). The further you are from Hickory the longer your delivery time. Get everything in writing. Can be a little overwhelming with so much to see.

Visited February 2013
Hickory, North Carolina
6 attraction reviews
“Selection, selection, selection!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We furnished our entire condo from the Hickory Furniture Mart when we moved to Hickory last year. There are over one-hundred stores in the Mart so it is unlikely you that you would not find what you are looking for. My only advise is get there early so you have time to browse all those stores.

Visited August 2012
Midwest
28 attraction reviews
“Essential Things to Know Before Shopping Here!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

After spending upwards of $30,000 at the Mart, we've learned that you can make some very good buys, but you can also experience some disappointments. Here are a few tips from what we've learned through several days of shopping the Mart that may ensure a good experience:

1. Do not assume that you are getting a great deal simply because you are at the Mart. Some of the showrooms seem to have remarkably good deals, whereas others appeared to us to be very close to "retail." By example, the Hendredon outlet had great buys. We felt that the purchases made at Hickory Park were less of a "deal."
2. Be sure you get accurate information from your rep -- assuming that someone is helping guide you through the Mart. Though our rep was very nice, her information was quite erroneous. When asked about shipping expense, we were told that it would roughly equal sales tax...in other words, about 7-8%. In reality, it was approximately 20% (which really added a lot to the freight...no pun intended).
3. Don't expect your furniture when promised. It depends on where you live and when a truck is headed your direction. It could easily take 3 months for ordered items if you live west of the Mississippi. And be prepared to make numerous phone calls to try to determine the status of your order.
4. Make certain that the sales people properly represent their merchandise. We were told that a bedroom set we ordered (for $7,000) from Southern Style was made by craftsmen in North Carolina. When it arrived, there was a large "Made in China" stamp visible on the walnut bedframe. We still love the furniture, but feel that it should have been properly represented.
5. Be sure you are going to love everything you bought because the sales are basically final.
6. When your shipment does arrive, you will find the movers to be quite good at unpacking and placing the items. They are careful and professional.

Our friends ask us if we will return. The answer is "maybe," but we will enter the door with far more knowledge and caution. It's hard to beat 1,000,000 square feet of showrooms...but I wish there had been a bit more integrity in the manner in which we were handled and the information we were provided. Then it would have been a great experience.

Visited February 2013