“Choose another hotel.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Hickory I-40

You added Crowne Plaza Hickory I-40 to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Hickory I-40
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1385 Lenoir Rhyne Boulevard SE, Hickory, NC 28602 (Formerly Holiday Inn Select)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Hickory
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Choose another hotel.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed at thehotel for a wedding Friday & Saturday nights. There were stains on the bedskirt of one of the beds. The actual pillows were the size of couch pillows with an oversized pillow cases tucked inside. LOL, really??? Our room rate was $92/nite and was definitely over priced for the hotel, which should be referred to as a motel.

The staff was good upon arrival and during the stay. But on check out, the attitude changed and customer service went downhill. They have currently overcharged my card by $179 and I'm STILL waiting for it to be placed back on my card (day #2 of waiting). I spoke with the general manager who promised to have someone call me "later that day". It's tomorrow and no one has called me. So I called them (yet again). And was transferred to the wrong voicemail, then called back and the front desk person transferred me to another voicemail rather then answer my question of "is you GM in". So NO I WOULD NOT REFER ANYONE TO THIS HOTEL EVER. Good luck though finding a better place in Hickory, NC.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Fenton, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

A fantastic hotel to stay at while in Hickory. The staff was very accomodating, clean rooms and comfortable beds. The value was terrific. A free drink and free breakfast bar. We had our drink in the Wheels Bar and split a sandwich (which came with fries...crinkle or sweet potato). It was a great experience.

Room Tip: We visited during the week so the hotel was not busy at all. Nice and quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I was in town on business and stayed here. I had a room overlooking the pool which was okay. For some reason the lobby music was quite loud and could be heard throughout the hotel. It was quite annoying since I had to get up early for work. When I called the front desk there was no answer.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

New beds are too soft and pillows huge so I had to sleep on a towel for a pillow. Had to look on carpet for dropped earring and found lots of food crumbs around base of the bed.
NIce b'fast buffet but small dining area for large groups. Front desk helpful and pleasant.
Fan on A/C very noisy in our room. Good space in the room, could use more in the bathroom for toiletries. Overall, pleasant stay, would come back.
We were here with group 50 people.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Spartanburg, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Let me first start off by saying we lived in Hickory 15+ years ago and we stayed in one of the "honeymoon" suites in this hotel 19 years ago on my wedding night after we hosted our wedding reception there (then a Holiday Inn Select) so it was quite a "trip" to go back to where it ALL started. This trip was for our daughter's softball tournament.

The circles theme throughout the hotel is new and lovely. The team really loved "bow tie Joe" and he was very nice to them as well as the adults offering us discount coupons to the Sunday Brunch. Unfortunately our ball schedule did not allow us to enjoy this since it doesn't open til 11:30am but it was almost ready by the time we had to leave and looked & smelled wonderful!

My ONLY complaint is that so many hotels that have undergone updates/upgrades have switch to a much more friendly sleeping experience of TWO QUEEN beds. I really don't know anyone that sleeps as a couple in a double bed any more. Because we have a King at home, a full size or double is like torture for us and my daughter has to have a decent bed since she is the ball player. I will only stay with hotels from now on that have either King beds with a pull out sofa or two queens and I think I am not alone as many of our parents from the team were griping about the size of the beds. I would think the good name of Crown Plaza would want to associate with only the best and to me that means a good night's sleep in a comfortable bed.

Oh yeah, and the bar @ Round Wheels closes @ 11pm on Saturday nights and we thought that was a bit early.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms have interior doors, first floor rooms have exterior doors. Sunday Buffett looke...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Carneys Point, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

This is a pretty nice clean place. I got upgraded to a room off the lobby, not sure why this is an upgrade? You can hear everything in the lobby. The fitness center was GREAT! Pool looked fun and easy access. Bar was friendly and active. Room was clean and worked well for a traveling businessman. Plenty of places to eat nearby. If anything, the landscape/parking lot could use some refreshing. I stayed here for a convention at the center and everything was close.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms off the lobby.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
St. Louis , MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the crowne plaza hickory while on a roadtrip. The Hotel's lobby is large, and empty.. That's why I call it the ghostel. There is never anyone in the halls, lobby, pool, and the restaraunt is almost always empty. However, thus the hotel is dated and in need of modernization, the staff are ok and it is good for a short stay. I would reccemd this place for short trips 1-2 nights but not anything more than that.

• Stayed July 2012

Been to Crowne Plaza Hickory I-40? Share your experiences!