“As Always A Real Treat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 1898 Waverly Inn

You added 1898 Waverly Inn to your Saves list
1898 Waverly Inn
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   783 N. Main Street, Hendersonville, NC 28792   |
Ranked #4 of 18 Hendersonville B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
North East Georgia
“As Always A Real Treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2008

For almost 20 years we have enjoyed trips to the Waverly once or twice a year and we have never had a bad experience. We always attend one of the outstanding plays at nearby Flat Rock Playhouse and dine at one of several outstanding restaurants in Hendersonville. The innkeepers (John, Diane and Darla) are very accommodating to help with reservations, play tickets and have interesting stories and information about local lore. The Inn is not fancy but clean, well kept, comfortable, convenient and steeped in homey atmosphere. Guests are treated like family and old friends and are free to enjoy privacy or mingle with other guest as they desire. John's breakfasts are real feasts and worth the trip. For a leisurely, pleasant few days, you can't go wrong choosing The Waverly.

• Liked — Overall atmosphere
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2008

My wife and I were informed by the Waverly "inn-sitter" (the hosts were away) during our previous stay that we had previously stayed seventeen times over the years. 'Nuff said, I suppose. We've stayed in b&bs from Texas to Maine, and I often wish I could send those innkeepers incognito to the Waverly for a couple of days just to experience from the customer's point of view how a great place can be run.

• Liked — hospitality and close proximity to downtown
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2007

After 3 very miserable Thanksgivings which are too involved to explain, we booked 3 days at the Waverly hoping things would better this year. We had been there several times before and knew of the wonderful warmth and hospitality of the hosts. We looked forward to at last having a nice Thanksgiving. We were not disappointed!!
I will describe three reasons for this:
First of all, the daily complimentary social hour allows the guests to meet and chat with each other and is always great fun . New friends are made. There is always at least one of the hosts who join us-occasionally there are 3 of them. If weather permits, this happens on the front porch.
Second, the short walk which brings you to the main street with all it wonderful shops and restaurants is very pleasant and one never tires of looking into the different shops.
Thirdly, there were only a few other true guests on this Thanksgiving. Many family members had come from all over the country. There were some 15 or so family members and they ALL helped with the meal in some capacity including the male members! We and the other guests were made to feel like members of the family while they bustled around preparing, setting the beautiful tables, and serving.
The traditional Thanksgiving meal was marvelous! It included a roasted turkey, a fried turkey ( if you have never tasted this, you have missed out) and a ham with all the trimmings. The dessert table could not hold any more items than it had. Everything was delicious!
We have already booked for next Thanksgiving!!

• Liked — The hosts and the town
  • Disliked — na
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
MD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2007

I referred to the Select Registry for Inn or B & B suggestions in Hendersonville, NC. I chose the Waverly Inn based on its claims of commendtaions from the New York Times, Southern Living, and Vogue Magazines. When you enter the Inn, a musty smell permeates througout. While I understand that this is a very old establishment, renovations should be done. Accommodations are very small, cleanliness is average, insulation between rooms seem to be non-existent as I could hear my neighbor very clearly. The plumbing in my room was clogged and there was hair on the bathroom floor. As I turned down my bed, I saw hair on the sheets. If you are a light sleeper and are in need of quiet, this Inn is not for you. It is located on Main Street where constant traffic is heard especially since it is in direct route to the Pardee Hospital. The breakfast was average. Innkeepers were very pleasant.

• Liked — Modern ameneties
  • Disliked — plubming problems, traffic noise, insulation, and level of cleanliness
  • Stayed October 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2007

We stayed at the Waverly Inn exactly 10 years ago and returned for our wedding anniversary. There is no establishment in all our world travels that offers more amenities that you'll actually avail yourself of. King-sized beds in B&B's, luxury bed linens, virtually any breakfast offering you can imagine, a proprieter who has led the local Chamber of Commerce, the Flat Rock Playhouse and most any other local civic organization you can think of, complimentary hi-speed Internet access for our laptop. If you can conceive it, John and Diane and Darla will deliver it!! Don't even think about a hotel or motel in Hendersonville. If your ultimate destination is Asheville, consider the Waverly Inn and drive. In Asheville, stay at the Biltmore Inn on Estate or the Grove Park Inn (and we've done both) but we'll wager that you will enjoy the Waverly even more. If you have any doubts, call John at the Inn and talk with him.

• Liked — Amenities that were available and we used
  • Disliked — Might have had a wider array of current newspaper to choose from
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2007

The Waverly Inn has become our most favorite B&B in the States! John, Diane & Darla treat us like family on all our stays. John’s breakfasts and Darla’s chocolate chip cookies along with sitting on the wide porch each afternoon sipping wine and talking with the other guest are the highlights of our stays. Hendersonville has some of the best antiques shops to spend the day wandering around along with wonderful restaurants for a romantic evening with my wife.

On our last stay we attended their Wine Tasting weekend and what a great time we had! This was our 3rd one and I don’t know how they do it but they get better each time.

We come home relaxed and rejuvenated and can’t wait until we can come back.

• Liked — This is the place we go to relax and for a romantic wekeend
  • Disliked — Absolutely nothing
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2006

My wife and I have stayed at the Waverly Inn many times over the past 12 to 14 years. I must say that our recent stay was just as wonderful as our first. The staff there has always been wonderful and the breakfast is "a little slice of heaven". The french toast, the pancakes, and for a southerner like me, the grits are always something I look forward to. I think the two best things a person can say about an inn are, "I'll be back again" and "I will tell my friends how wonderful it is here". I have and continue to do both...

• Liked — Beakfast and the large bed
  • Disliked — Nothing comes to mind
  • Tips/Secrets — Even if you don't hink you like grits, try them at the Waverly
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to 1898 Waverly Inn? Share your experiences!