“Extremely gracious hosts; better to have a wedding than stay a night” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Melange Bed and Breakfast

You added Melange Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Melange Bed and Breakfast
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   1230 Fifth Avenue West, Hendersonville, NC 28739   |
Ranked #1 of 18 Hendersonville B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“Extremely gracious hosts; better to have a wedding than stay a night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

This is a stunning home on a lovely street in Hendersonville. You'll get lost in the maze, but the wonderful innkeepers are incredibly helpful in getting you to your room. What a wonderful couple who owns this enormous place....they go out of their way to make you feel welcome and are so friendly and kind.

So, why didn't I give it 5 stars? Our room was a bit run down. The furnishings are a bit heavy for my taste, a mixture of this and that from all over the world and too many family photos everywhere. It was more like staying at a rich eccentric aunt's house than a lovingly restored inn filled with glorious antiques. The Inn has evolved into quite the wedding venue, and it is, in my humble opinion, more perfect for that sort of event. They have a lovely garden area and are able to accommodate a large number of guests.

Cleanliness is not up to par; there were a few stray hairs in the bathroom and the water would not get hot. It was a chilly evening and taking a lukewarm bath was not fun. They were so kind that I didn't want to bother them and it was late when I took a bath, so just felt uncomfortable with the bathroom situation. The sink had a crack in it, some of the fixtures were worn....it's showing its age and needs a more thorough cleaning.

Breakfast was wonderful, served in a lovely room, but there was talk overheard about an upcoming wedding and I just got the feeling, once again, that inn guests were not their first priority.

If you're looking for a gorgeous inn in Hendersonville in which to have a wedding, this is indeed the spot....it's magnificent and I'm very certain that the innkeepers will do everything they can to make sure it's a memorable day for you.

Room Tip: Ask about hot water situation when booking; it may have been a fluke experience.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We just returned from a 2-night stay at the Melange while visiting my family in the area for Thanksgiving. The Inn is beautiful and in a great location - it is not walking distance to downtown, but that was fine with me - it's close enough, and probably quieter than places closer to downtown. Even in the winter, the grounds are gorgeous and must be spectacular in the spring. The hosts are friendly and accommodating, and they were very gracious regarding our unpredictable schedule & plans. The Rose Suite was beautiful, and breakfast was simply awesome both days. I loved the fact that there are a few friendly cats on the premises. All in all, a wonderful experience. We will definitely return!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Cary, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

What a wonderful find. We felt so welcome. The B&B is a visual treat! Breakfast was awesome.
Mehmet and Lala are so kind. Mehemt waited up for us with a piece of birthday cake for my husband. We would definitely return. Pat and Bryan

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
South Carolina, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We've stayed at a lot of B&Bs in locations around the world, and Melange quickly became one of our all-time favorites. I've been trying to put my finger on why. We were there for our anniversary weekend and couldn't have made a better choice. The historic home is elegant and beautiful, yet immediately intimate and welcoming. You could spend your entire stay roaming from room to room discovering the beautiful and eclectic pieces that make up the "melange" of decor put together by hosts Lale and Mahmet. We stayed in the Emerald room - a wonderful room with a private porch - but checked out all of the rooms, and would have happily stayed in any of them. Lale is a fantastic chef - breakfasts were perfection, and we indulged in one of their five-course private champagne dinners, which we couldn't recommend more highly. One of the best meals we've ever had. Finally, we thoroughly enjoyed meeting and talking with Lale and Mahmet - they manage just the right blend of genuine friendliness and interest in you while providing the space and privacy to comfortably enjoy your stay in their home. We give our highest recommendation to Melange B&B and very much hope to return ourselves.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Perrysburg, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I went to Hendersonville on business, and the owners and staff of Melange made me feel like family. After coming "home", from my job interview I didn't even get to my room before I was asked how the interview went. I have never stayed in a Bed and Breakfast, but I have stayed in many fine hotels. What made this incredible experience distinct was not just the beautiful room and amazing food, but instead the caring that I felt from everyone there. Thank you and I hope to visit again.

Frank

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hayesville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

My husband and I, along with another couple, visited in September. The location was great - very close to shopping and restaurants. The hosts were superb - there for our every need and concern. Wonderful breakfast in a beautiful setting. Stayed in the Emerald Room and enjoyed the balcony as well as the well-kept grounds. Would definitely return if we have the opportunity.

Harry and Desna J.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Suwanee, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a long weekend for our 10-year anniversary. It was beautiful! Our hosts were incredibly gracious; the food was delectable; the room was gorgeous (Emerald Room); our large porch had a lovely view; we felt very welcomed! We LOVE this place and will absolutely stay there again (just as soon we can bribe my parents into watching our two small kids again!) Thank you to Lale and Mehmet for our truly wonderful experience! Kind regards, Lisa & Jack B.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Melange Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!