“Great changes at the Breakwater” 4 of 5 stars

252-986-2733
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Good for: Doing business, Entertaining clients, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Great changes at the Breakwater”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

If you haven’t tried the Breakwater Restaurant it is a must on your list to do in Hatteras. I had read some of the reviews on Tripadvisor, but thought I would try it myself. So I recently had dinner there on a Saturday evening. Our waiter, Nick, was very attentive and informative about the menu items. For my appetizer, I ordered the Coyote Oysters, which were plump and in a delicious sauce. My dinner salad with the house homemade dressing was very good. One of the specials that evening was locally caught Wahoo, which I had blackened with the side of fresh vegetables. The portions were great and my fish was cooked to perfection. I found out that there has been a change to the kitchen staff with 2 new up and coming chefs that have made a huge impact on the whole dining experience. My highest recommendation for a wonderful dining experience!

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Wytheville, Virginia
“Service was unacceptable and manager made excuses”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

First let me say we ate there last night and had a great experince. It was way too pricey for the meal served, but hey, we were on vacation and it was okay. Then tonight we returned expecting equally the same and it was a nightmare from the get-go. I ordered the special which was highly recommended by the waiter - prime rib with shrimp on top . It came out at the same time my husband's did , but it didnt have a single shrimp on it and it was cool to the touch ( I ordered it medium rare, but it was not even warm). It took forever to get the waiter's attention to correct the problem. Meantime, my husband has finished eating, nice meal out together on our last night, right? No apologies offered either. What's up with the cook that he/she doesn't know what the special is? The waiter never offered up the standard bread - had to ask for it! Couldn't get the bill brough over either. My husband ended up going to the bar to ask for the manager....bartender was the manager....he offered up the excuse that the waiter was new! Is that my problem with over a $100 bill?? What was the cook's excuse? Only thing they have going for them is the sunset on the deck! Looking for awesome service, value and great quality of food? Visit Sonnny's across the street! Wish we had gone back there instead of here!

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Rural Retreat, Virginia
“the worst service and giving a crap”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

After getting our drinks and appetizers ordered it went downhill in a hurry. No bread, no checking back, no water,no bread, nothing! Our food finallycame out,wrong,cold and awful. The manager compensated us 20% after we ate separately . We will never go back, awful service,attitude and so lacking in an even wing joint! Unacceptable!!!!!!!!

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Logan, Ohio
“Average food, high prices, so-so service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Our party of 10 (with a guide dog) was placed as far from the entrance as could be. First of all, if a patron is visually impaired, does it make sense to make that guest weave through narrow aisles through the entire restaurant? The restaurant is very bright ( a good thing). It was actually very pleasant until another table of guests would come in. The chairs screech on the floor like nails on a chalk board.

We had one server for our entire table. She had to bring out our meals by herself as well which meant three trips to the kitchen. By the time everyone was served, at least three people in our group had cold food. Cold flounder paired with cold rice is not tasty.

My meal of fried shrimp, coleslaw and hush puppies was pretty good. The serving of coleslaw amounted to about two tablespoons. It looked and tasted like plain chopped cabbage without any dressing, however.

The steamed clams were popular at our table. There aren't too many places to find steamed clams anymore on Hatteras so that was a big deciding factor in our restaurant selection. At least our family amused themselves by decorating clam shells while waiting forever on our entrees.

My menu was different than everyone else's at our table. The shrimp dinner apparently used to come with a corn souffle'. Now it comes without the corn for $2.00 less. At least the real price was less than the menu I was given.

The deck is great for picture taking and allows cigarette smoking. It didn't offend me because I wasn't outside to eat my dinner. It's much more casual outside.

Overall, those of us that received hot food did enjoy it. We would likely give them a second chance on our next visit to the island.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Outstanding!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

We love this place. Superb food and spectacular sunsets. Ask to sit on the deck overlooking the water - it's our favorite. We make sure to go for dinner every time we're in Hatteras. It's always been good.