“Great Stay at the Sea Gull Motel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sea Gull Motel

Sea Gull Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hatteras Island
Sea Gull Motel
Rte. 12, Box 280, Hatteras Island, NC 27943   |
Ranked #7 of 13 hotels in Hatteras Island
Bardstown
“Great Stay at the Sea Gull Motel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

My family of four recently stayed at the Sea Gull Motel on Hatteras Island. The staff was exceptionally friendly. The rooms are very clean and comfortable. We enjoyed the access to the beach and swimming in the hotel's nice pool. One evening I inquired how late the pool stayed open and the staff person said 10:00 PM. She said if we wanted to swim later than that, she would be glad to stay past her shift which normally ended at 10:00 PM.
This motel appears to have been recently remodeled and is very reasonably priced. It is a nice place to stay and we hope to come back again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

23 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Stay two nights at this great motel. Clean room, nice pool, beautiful beach and friendly staff.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Conway, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

I just got back from taking my Mom to the Outer Banks. It was our first trip to that area. We had a great trip. Our stay at the Sea Gull Motel was very nice. The Sea Gull is an older motel but it is nice. The desk clerk was very friendly and we were able to check in early. She offered helpful suggestions for places to eat dinner. The room was very spacious, clean and the beds were comfortable. It was just a short walk to the beach and the motel was centrally located in the town. I enjoyed my stay and will not hesitate to stay at the Sea Gull Motel when I go back to Hatteras, NC.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Virginia Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

Many moons ago, my best friend's family used to stay at the OLD Sea Gull Motel every summer. However, as the family grew in size, and the little kids became big kids, they moved on to rental homes to accommodate their large group. In 2003, Hurricane Isabelle blew through town and did a little remodeling along the Outer Banks, thus necessitating a rebuild of the Sea Gull Motel.

In 2008, my husband, son and I took a last minute trip from Virginia Beach to Hatteras and were able to get a room at the new Sea Gull. Although we were just there overnight, we liked the room.

In July of this year, we again returned to the OBX for a short vacation and opted to stay at the Sea Gull for 4 nights. We rented their 2 room apartment so that our son could have a separate sleeping space from my husband and me. Upon arrival, we were impressed with how spacious the apartment was, esp. the 2nd room that had a small kitchenette, table w/chairs, TV and bed. It looked perfect for our needs.

Over our 4 day vacation, we actually spent more time in the motel than we would have anticipated. We would rest up between the pool/beach and going out to dinner, lounge around before bed and hang out for breakfast the next morning before heading off to sight see or hit the waves. One evening, we picked up a pizza from a nearby restaurant and ate it at our table while watching a bit of TV - it was very nice!

One of the things we were worried about was whether or not our 7 year old son would be bored without any of his friends to play with. One day there were several children close to his age playing in the pool (which was very clean and well-kept) and it turned out that they were the children of one of the housekeepers and a friend of theirs. My son played with them on 2 of the days we were there and solved our problem. We thought it was very kind of the owner to allow employees' children to enjoy the motel amenities while their parent works - it seems like a win-win situation for the employee and owner and our family inadvertently benefitted from it as well!

So, the motel is in good shape, is located just across a sand dune from the ocean (stairs and a walkway provide access to the ocean/beach from the motel), sits approximately 1/2 north of Hatteras Village and it might be a mile/mile and a half down to the Hatteras/Ocracoke Island ferry. There are plenty of places to eat and shop nearby and if you have a 4WD vehicle, you can drive on the beach along both the ocean and sound and access to either one is just a short distance from the motel.

The Sea Gull Motel offers a perfect package: quiet solitude for those looking to get away from it all but close proximity to places to eat, sights to see and shops for that perfect souvenir.

We only stayed at the Sea Gull for 4 nights this summer, but we are already planning our 7 day vacation at the Sea Gull for next year!

Room Tip: We noticed that corner rooms have the benefit of an extra window or 2, but I believe they only have...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
West Springfield, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

Walk to the beautiful Hatteras beach in less than 30 seconds. Room is large, very large with two queen beds, one sofa bed, two tables and three chairs. Refrigerator and microwave. I had to shut down the refregerator because it was way too noisy for me. Bathroom nice. Clean. Now the problems: Walls are very thin with no sound proofing of any sort. I can hear people from two rooms away!! ( if they keep talking like this when it is my bed time, bad news!) For high speed internet you have to get a cable from the office. Good! But the problem came when I tried to hook up the computer. Cable is so short that you can use the computer only on the sofabed, where there is no electrical outlet so if your keyboard does not lit up and you do not want to use your computer's batteries, you are totally out of luck! The motel building looks new and has only about 15 rooms. All occupied today ( June 4 2011). But I paid more than what I paid for a beach-front Econolodge on Virginia Beach yesterday. I stayed there for two days and had a very pleasant stay. For location as well as getting a lot of praise, this motel is charging way too much. And, office closes at 10 and opens in the morning at 8. I am neither recommending, nor not recommending simply giving you the information and letting you decide!!!.I myself would choose a cheaper option next time.

Room Tip: Rooms 101 thru 107 are on the ground floor
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Ellicott City, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

The location is the great thing. You can walk out of your room barefooted or in slippers, and in 1 minute you’re at the beach. A wooden walkway takes you from the parking lot, over the dunes and onto the sand. Two benches on the walkway on top of the dunes are nice to sit on. There is a faucet on the walk to clean your feet. There was a wooden box next to the pool with two very old chairs (I would not sit on them); I didn’t see (or ask) if the hotel had other beach items for use. Each room has two Adirondack chairs in front, a nice touch. Across the street is a deli with some good sandwiches; otherwise, you have to drive into the heart of Hatteras to eat.
We had the top floor room which was closest to the breach. You can see the ocean from this room (#116). It’s the only room with a window that directly faces the beach, and you can see the ocean above the high dunes. With the window open, you can also hear the ocean waves. But, this room also overlooks the pool. When we were there, no one used the pool. Yes, walls are thin. I could hear the television from the room below us.
The room was large and clean. Coffee pot looked dirty, so we didn’t use it. Staff gave us an internet cable so we could use the internet.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Johns Creek, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

Stayed here one night on our way to Ocracoke this past Sept. Fairly new looking motel, very clean but ordinary rooms; we thought rooms were somewhat expensive for what they were. It's on the beach though you can't see ocean from the rooms due to the dunes. They do have stairs and a boardwalk over the dunes. We enjoyed sitting on the beach and watching a roiling ocean due to an approaching storm.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Sea Gull Motel? Share your experiences!