“It was good 20 years ago, it's better now” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hatteras Marlin Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hatteras Island
Hatteras Marlin Motel
You added Hatteras Marlin Motel to your Saves list
57753 NC HWY 12, Hatteras Island, NC 27943   |
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Hatteras Island
Montreal, Canada
“It was good 20 years ago, it's better now”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

Some 18 years ago I had stayed at the Marlin for a few nights while vacationing in the Outer Banks (no I will never write it OBX). Back then the rooms were OK and fairly priced. This summer they were nice and fairly priced. The staff was extremely nice and plaisant. It's location near the Red&White and beach accesses make it a very good place to stay when on budget. Let's face it, unless the weather prevents you from going to the beach, what do you use a hotel room for, clean yourself and sleep.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
East Greenville, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

We are CHEAP cheap CHEAP when we travel. That's the only way we GET to travel, so we go for low budget, without all the extras and fluff n stuff.
So this place was perfect for our budget. We wanted to get to Hatteras a day early to recover from the 9 hour ride, and be ready for our rental home the next day.
What we found here, was a little adventure to start our trip the right way.
The room was nice.
YES, the rooms do smell musty. BUT, you have to remember that this is HATTERAS. They get hurricanes and flooding frequently, as they are surrounded by ocean!!!
I've been in a few other motels in Hatteras, and they ALL smell musty.
But after a few minutes, you get used to it, and it's not bad. And I always bring a little candle to mask any smells, anyway. So that works good.

The rooms are simple, plain, and have what you need. The bathroom was pretty nice, actually. I totally wanted to steal their pillows, as they were really really fluffy and firm. I went home after vacation and replaced my pillows, because of this hotel's pillows!
The comforters were nice and thick and cozy, too.

The pool is nice, clean, and the kids enjoyed it.

Out back of the motel, is a canal/bay area, with some chairs. That is where we spent most of our time. The kids fished, crabbed, and I took pics, and my husband caught a flounder! We had a GREAT time behind the motel! (it's on the property)

The service and employees were nice, everything went smoothly, and we'd definately stay there again. (we would have this year, but we brought our dog this time, and there's no pets at this motel, so....we had to try another one....which wasn't NEAR as nice as the Hatteras Marlin!)

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Phoenix, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

Hatteras Marlin Motel far exceeded my expectations for a budget motel. The beds were brand new and incredibly comfortable, the room was clean, and there was decent water pressure in the shower, which is rare for the Outer Banks. Free WiFi was a major plus. I would definitely recommend to those looking to crash before and after off-shore fishing trips.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Ashburn, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2009

My friends and I decided to take our girl friend to Hatteras for a relaxing bacholorette party. We were a little nervous about staying here after reading the reviews but it turned out to be a perfect fit for us. (I guess some people are just never happy with what they get and you can't please them...) We had Excellent Service - a very friendly staff. Because of car trouble we didn't make it down to the island until around midnight and nothing was open. But when we called the phone number the manager, Dennis, drove from his house (in his pjs) to let us into a room! I LOVE the chairs on the deck, it was a great place to play cards and just relax at the end of the day. The weather was a little too chilly for swimming at the beach (still in the 70s though - imagine that in October!!) but the motel's pool was located out of the wind so we were able to lounge around in the sunshine and catch up on a lot of reading.

Overall, we had a very enjoyable stay at this motel and met a lot of nice people.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
virginia beach, virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

My Review is: DO NOT STAY AT THIS MOTEL Trash in room, trash in basket by microwave from previous guest. On Sunday morning I was awakened by a very loud and ear splitting faulty smoke detector set off by someone else in the motel smoking in a non-smoking room....motel full of illegals, although..if you like Hispanic Rap music playing loudly at the house next door to motel property, this is the place to stay for you. I had to check out early to get away from the noise beside my headboard (the smoke detector). I called the front desk and they played dumb about it and reason for it occurring, then refused to do anything. I sent an email to manager DENNIS and he refused to give me any discount at all for my inconvenience and having to check out early because of the noise. I told him if no refund of some amount I would not stay there again, his response was to email me back and say "whats one customer?" I WOULD NEVER STAY AT THIS TRASHY MOTEL AGAIN AND I ADVISE YOU TO DO THE SAME.......

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Cincinnati, OH
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

For those looking to save money, the Marlin motel is good enough. The rooms at the Marlin are out of date and tend to have a mixed smell of smoke and mildew. My wife and I recently stayed and had to switch rooms do to an ant problem. The front desk was extremely nice and upgraded our room, however there is still an ant problem. The overall all cleanliness of the rooms is below par. One of the highlights of the Marlin Motel is their pool and friendly staff. I would personally not recommend the Marlin unless you are on a tight budget. I plan to come back to Hatteras next year, but don't plan on staying at the Marlin Motel.

• Liked — The Pool
  • Disliked — The Room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Danville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2008

We were checking on the construction of a investment house that was being built on the beach and needed a place to crash. There's a huge diff between these monster vacation homes and this hotel, but the diff is fair.

The location is awesome. Room are typical. Lot's of people smoking outside.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hatteras Marlin Motel? Share your experiences!