“Clean hotel with great rates, comfortable rooms, and convenient onsite food and drink.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of City Hotel & Bistro

15% Off & Hot Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Greenville
New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

I was in Greenville, NC for business from March 12th through the 16th and stayed at the City Hotel & Bistro in room 424, a "Non-Smoking King Suite". Since this was a corner room it was larger than the standard rooms my other travelers had, and I would recommend asking for a similarly sized suite (the rates were identical). One item of note on the rates, I traveled in a group of four, but we each booked our rooms individually. It seems that your booking method can make a +/- $10 difference in your rate. One of my group booked the standard rate online for $89.99. Two others called in and got a $79.99 rate. I called in and mentioned that it was business travel and got a $69.99 corporate rate, which I had applied to the other three rooms upon arrival. The other half of our group stayed next door at the Hilton.

The rooms were pretty much standard hotel rooms, but they were neat and clean, and the King bed I had was very comfortable and had plenty of pillows. There was a large seating area with a couch, coffee table, and two lounge chairs, as well as a desk, and TV armoire with a modern TV. Also present was a single serving coffee maker, as well as a microwave and large-cube fridge. The bathroom was a bit on the small side, but the water was hot and forceful enough in the shower, and it was clean. One item that I found a bit odd was that the toilet seat needed replacing, and had worn spots on it that looked as if they'd been painted over. It struck me as odd because it was so noticeable, and something so easy to replace. I read several reviews on TripAdvisor regarding hallway noise, and noise in general, but I did not notice anything like that during my stay. In fact, I found my room to be very quiet at night. The hotel does appear to be an older building, but it was very clean and comfortable.

The breakfast was a convenient way to fill up every morning, and had the usual biscuits, gravy, grits, scrambled eggs, sausages and bacon, as well as fresh fruit and self serve cereals and toast. I can't review the dinner food as I only used the restaurant/bar as a bar; and although the daily menu board had some interesting items, we met up with the group each night at the many other restaurants in the area, most notably the Carolina Ale House. The group I was with (including those staying next door at the Hilton) trickled into the bar each night, and we enjoyed the nightly live music, as well as the ever-changing bar staff. Most tastes were met, and although not a huge selection, there were sufficient spirits for a daily "night cap".

I did not use the pool or the exercise facility, and my only real exercise was disc golf on one of the nicer of the 80 degree afternoons we had during our stay.

I would definitely recommend the City Hotel for business travelers looking for an affordable location that is both centrally located in Greenville, and has onsite amenities such as the restaurant and bar. The foyer was a nice place to meet up or wait for other members of our group, and had some very comfortable chairs and couches. The hotel also has free Wi-Fi which was convenient, but did slow down at night a few times to the point that I resorted to using my US Cellular air card (which had great reception by the way). The other half of our group stayed next door at the Hilton, and all of them hung out with us at the City Hotel, and were shocked at our room rates versus theirs which were higher. One last comment, although the website shows pool tables, they are no longer onsite.

Room Tip: The "end" corner suites are larger than the standard suites (ex. room 424).
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
candace0904, General Manager at City Hotel & Bistro, responded to this review, March 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay. I contacted our internet provider today and we have increased our bandwidth. This should eliminate the slow connection that you experienced.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

I stayed at the City Bistro on my first trip to Greenville, so I really have nothing to compare the hotel to locally, but I would say that it is passable. The hotel had 3 real big plusses. 1) Free wifi (that I was generally able to access most of the time and when I did it was quite fast), 2) a microwave and a fridge in the room, and 3) a lovely hot breakfast.

However, there were a couple of drawbacks. While the staff was friendly, they weren't really on the ball. My bathroom seemed to have not been stocked properly. I only had one soap and the shampoo and the shower gel were open. I called to get more, but I never got them. When I left the room at 7am on the second day for a conference, I expected to come back to a room that had new towels, restocked glasses, a made bed, and new toiletries. But I came back to the room at 6pm, it hadn't been touched. I double checked to make sure that there wasn't a "do not disturb" sign up. There wasn't. I was too tired to complain.

Again, there was nothing detrimental about this hotel, but I'd probably book another hotel next time before I return.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

I guess my first mistake was letting them put me on the first floor. It was very noisy. I could hear the tv and blow dryer in the room next to me. Its an older hotel that needs to be updated. The work part of the hotel was the fitness room that they say they have. It was horrible. The equipment was very old and some not even working. I ended up going to another gym and getting a day pass. The breakfast also wasn't the best. Good location though.

Room Tip: do not stay on the first floor
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

We've stayed twice now the City Hotel & Bistro and that is where we prefer to stay. It's older but clean and we have like both our rooms. We prefer the bottom floor. You get a complementary breakfast (full blown) but the last time they're shipment hadn't arrived and by the time we ain't there wasn't much there. It's mostly greasy spoon type breakfast, which you just can't have all the time, but it is ok for once in a while. They have ice cold milk unlike any other Hotel; its great! The place is convenient and reasonable to stay and we haven't been disappointed yet with our room.

Room Tip: Book ahead if you have an ECU event you are going to!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Bluffton, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed here several times. The rooms are consistently clean, neat, and comfortable. No, it would not be my favorite place, but for their price it would be tough to beat. There are certainly many hotels in Greenville I have stayed in for more money that were not nearly as enjoyable. Breakfast is included, but perhaps is not as good as it once was. My only real complaint was that the hall outside my room smelled like an ozone enriched RJR tobacco plant that just burned.

• Stayed January 2012
Mechanicsville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

Since our home office is in VA, I stayed overnight to do interviews for a new hire that lives in this area.
This hotel was beautiful. The staff was very helpful, I needed copies for applications, and an internet connection in the lobby. They helped me out with whatever I asked. The day desk clerk was exceptional.
there is a restaurant with decent food, at fair prices.
a microwave and fridge in the room, pool, gym...
Wal-mart was across the street. and many other places to eat nearby.
and you get a hot breakfast to boot.
I was very happy with my stay.

Room Tip: I was on the second floor, good quiet room.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

I was booked for 2 nights by my business for work in Greenville. Since my first appointment was at 6:30 a.m., I requested a wake-up call at 4:00 a.m. so I could work out (ample exercise facility onsite), shower, eat breakfast and get to my meeting on time. I did not sleep well and kept checking the clock. When I saw 4:05 a.m. I hopped out of bed, irate that I had not received the call I requested. When I went to the Front Desk to inquire, the attendant indicated that "there was a problem with the system." Not many people request a 4 a.m. wake up call. He could have easily knocked on my door, especially since my room was on the first floor, in close proximity to the front desk.

The attendant's blasé attitude towards my complaint should have rated the hotel a poor rating. However, the breakfast (included with the room) was quite adequate, although the doors did not open until 6 a.m. The lady who runs the buffet was very accommodating and made sure I had coffee and cereal right at 6 o'clock.

I agree with another reviewer that the room is outdated. I had also intended to eat at the Bistro Restaurant, but when I peeked inside, it was very dark and creepy looking. I passed and ate at one of the many well-lit and cheerful restaurants located nearby.

The price to stay at this establishment is reasonable; however, if you are unwilling to lower your expectations of basic customer service, then don't stay here.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Been to City Hotel & Bistro? Share your experiences!