“Horrible kitchen. Great service” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
University Chophouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #103 of 223 Restaurants in Greenville
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Greenville Boulevard
“Horrible kitchen. Great service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

I was here the other day and our waitress was nice and provided great service. The chef, however, doesn't know how to cook. We sent back our steaks several times because they could not cook it correctly. I love the service here but the food is horrible. I'd be surprised if this place stays open much longer if they don't figure out how to cook food correctly.

Ayden, North Carolina, United States
“Not my piece of steak”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Caveat: I do not ordinarily go to steak houses as I can do an excellent steak on my back porch, so if I must go to one of these places I usually order the prime rib.

This was a recruiting visit and not my choice, but someone was fixated on having dinner at this restaurant. Not much under $30 and that gets you only either a salad or a potato with the entree. Everything else is extra. Two folks ordered the small filet, and another and myself ordered prime rib. The filets were done properly and were given approval by the two diners. My small cut prime rib, ordered medium rare, came medium and was tough. The twice-baked potato did not have near enough cheese and sour cream mixed in before the second baking. The meal was well below my expectations. The other diner ordered his prime rib medium well, but it looked well done to me and he did not have much to say about it.

Service was excellent, the atmosphere is good and the wine list is quite good and they have wines by the glass paired with each entree--although, I opted for the Franciscan Cabernet Sauvignon that was listed with a different dish, as I knew that wine would go very well with prime rib. That was the best part of the meal.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Champaign, Illinois
“Food is average!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Ordered pick-up after reading reviews re: long wait times!

I ordered the fish & chips - bad idea. They were both so greasy that I only finished half my meal.

Colleagues ordered 1) veggie wrap (fine for $3 not worth the full menu prices of $7 - according to her) and 2) grilled chix sandwich (another ok).

Hostess was pleasant, although a bit naive and seemed overwhelmed. More senior management is definitely needed at this time.

With other options in Greenvile, we don't think we'll be back!!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chocowinity, North Carolina
“Beautiful Setting and Good Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

This venue has just recently re-opened for lunch and offers luncheon specials beginning at $3! It is one of the better dinner restaurants in the Greenville area, but can be a bit pricey. The staff is well dressed and energetic but particularly at lunch the place needs someone in leadership more senior than students at the local university (East Carolina). We were served a ketchup bottle that looked like it had been used years ago! There is a very nice bar with drink specials at certain times and days.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Greenville, North Carolina
“Can it really be this bad???”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Recently ate here for lunch after they advertised $3 specials. Took 5 minutes to be seated when tables were open. After ordering, we waited... and waited... and waited. Multiple tables got up and left before being served, as well as advertised to the waiting room that hadn't been helped that they were wasting their time. We held on. After about 75 minutes (these are basic lunch entrees), they bring out half of the food. The food was not at all like the menu had described, with many sides or included vegetables missing. The food was very bland. In addition, the waitress was not alarmed at all when I didnt receive something I ordered. I never received it. Oh, she also messed up the checks. AND didn't apologize for the most obvious wait time. Why anyone would ever come here, I have no clue. I will never return and I will advise my friends and family with the same. Worst experience I've ever had at a restaurant. Not exaggerating at all.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere