“Great dining at reasonable prices” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Bistro
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Greenville, NC
“Great dining at reasonable prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

A great restaurant in Greenville with reasonable prices. Since they expanded, they have added to their menu and it is a much better restaurant. Service is a bit inconsistent, but the locally purchased fresh food overcomes the service.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Greensboro, NC
“The cost of my meal and the taste of my meal didn't match”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I love the way the Starlight Cafe looks, but our dinner there recently was only so-so. I had the shrimp and grits and wasn't impressed. At another restaurant I recently visited, I had shrimp and grits that were so good that I wanted to lick the plate, but all I could think about at the Starlight was that I didn't like paying $22 for so-so. My companion had a scallop cake that was so bland that it almost didn't have any taste at all. I recognize that others have had wonderful experiences here, and it is a lovely, fun little place, but I doubt I'll return.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hillsborough, North Carolina
“Average food, high prices for a small town”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

There is no doubt that the Starlight Cafe is a plus for Greenville--especially the "uptown" area. The space is pleasing, and the opening hours are pretty unusual for a small town. Unfortunately, the food is just average (and often barely that,) and except for a hamburger that is regularly on the menu, the prices can be high. I wish that it were better because I'd like to support it and the uptown region. If it were, I'd eat there regularly.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
red oak, nc
“Mediocre, at best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Recently had lunch with my husband at the Starlight Cafe. As my husband and I like to say after a meal such as this.... " it was adequate". Not exactly what I was looking for. We thought the restaurant itself was quaint. Nice with the exposed brick walls.....wish ceilings had been old. For lunch I had Coq Au Vin and my husband had a BLT sandwich. Mine was not at all what I expected... the chicken was boiled thigh meal and not much of it. Lots of mushrooms, no pearl onions and absolutely no flavor of wine. It reminded me more of a reheated chicken soup, maybe from a can!! My husband said he may have had 2 pieces of bacon on his sandwich and the bread was so crusty I was afraid it might break his teeth. We had diet cokes and they never got refilled. Not much of a dessert choice ... a cookie or ice cream. This is probably where they could really shine. Overall, a under average meal. Any of the chains would have been better.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dedham
“College Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Visited the Starlight for the second time. Dined with my parents, daughter and her friends, we were seated right away and had excellent service. Several of us had the Shrimp and Grits which was good but the comment was "not as good as in Charleston". The fish special was delicious and the students all ordered the pasta special 2 out of the 3 loved it.

• Visited March 2013