“One of the best dining experiences in Greenville. The food is the thing.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wasabi 88

Wasabi 88
1605 E Firetower Rd, Greenville, NC
252-493-0510
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #24 of 223 Restaurants in Greenville
Good for: Doing business, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Chocowinity, North Carolina
“One of the best dining experiences in Greenville. The food is the thing.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Four of us went on Saturday night around 7. First visit for all four. Server took the time to explain the menu and answer some specific questions. There was no wait but it was probably 85% full but she was attentive throughout. Other reviews read like large groups could be an issue but zero service issues for us.

Wasabi Sampler Platter was excellent. Two dipping sauces and four of each of the three items on the platter. Very fair price for the quality and quantity at $12 so $1 per item. Three of us had a Crispy Sesame entree. Wife chose shrimp for hers and I chose chicken so we could try both. The other choice is beef. The hot and sour soup that accompanied our meals was the best any of us had had anywhere. Not just broth and noodles but had other ingredients that made it more of a true soup than a broth. Diners add their own noodles to taste and consistency. Broccoli that accompanied the Sesame entree was very good. Florets cooked perfectly.

One of the best meals we have had in Greenville for the price. Plenty of food which was well prepared. Huge menu to choose from with some very creative choices. We will try sushi on a week night when they are two for one. Open dinner only.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Chocowinity
“Uncomfortable Evening”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We were there last evening, a group of 4 couples. We were placed at two tables joined together which should have been for 6 but they attempted to squeeze in 8. When we tried to move a larger table into position for more comfort we were told that it was reserved for someone else so would we please move into the party room. The manager stood there like an idiot while the waiter attempted to help us move. The simpler solution would have been to slide in a larger table as we attempted to do and apologize for the inconvenience. At that point I should have walked out but I didn't want to spoil the evening for my friends. As for food, my shrimp was fine, the salad was horrible and my scotch on the rocks was rocks with a few drops of scotch! We asked for 4 separate checks , which I believe is a legitimate request but I noted they included a 20% gratuity on each check which was wrong.
Restaurants get one chance to make a good impression, this place failed!

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Eastern NC
“Awesome experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Finally visited and I'll be back. The Sushi was awesome and the service was great! Location is convenient.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Disappointed in the sad service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

This past Saturday night was my and my husband's second visit to Wasabi 88. The first visit, I'd have rated the place 4 out of 5 stars. It was >thisclose< to becoming one of our favorite date night spots. The food was great- fresh and refined. We also received great service and after being disappointed with the Wasabi 9.0 cocktail (I believe that was the name?) and even though its not their norm, I requested to try some of their different Saki selections and our waitress brought me 4 or 5 selections, on the house. (The lychee saki is great, BTW!) We were really pleased when we left that first time. So much so that we couldn't wait to go back. So, last night's experience there was supremely disappointing.

The good: the food is undeniably good. The atmosphere is also good. The guys that bring the food out are awesome- THEY should be the primary servers in the place. The selection of sushi is good though $14 for 6 rolls is a bit over the top, in my opinion.

The bad: The first time we went, we were sat at a table directly in the walkway. With other open tables, I requested we sit elsewhere and that request was met with a smile. The second time we went, the only available table was that same table in the walkway. I accepted since we had a movie to catch and it would have otherwise been a 30 min wait. Honestly, sitting there was the least of our issues.

The service was just awful. Our server was clearly miserable working there. She didn't smile. She didn't offer a "you're welcome" after we would thank her for anything. She'd just walk away. She would say NOTHING more than she needed to. No friendliness, no politeness, and just a generally poor attitude. When our appetizer came out, we had no silverware, napkins, or small plates. The guy that brought that plate of food out got us our silverware. She stopped by shortly afterward and didn't offer any plates so I had to ask for them. Throughout the rest of our dinner, we saw her a few times and each time, the attitude... We noticed that MANY of the servers seemed either extremely snotty or miserable. We also noticed that the hostesses also lacked any kind of sensible kindness or hospitality. There is no greeting from any of the 4 girls standing behind the counter as you walk in. Just a short 'how many' and a 'follow me'.

We were left to wait after finishing our meal for a ridiculous amount of time and at the table we were at, that was unacceptable. At any given time, 2-3 waitresses, a hostess, and at times, the manager were constantly standing around 10 feet away at the wait station. I finally flagged the manager over, told him of our awful service and being that we had such a great first experience this was disappointing. He apologized and let us know that she had a 25-person table in the other room. I was stunned. Our waitress never mentioned this. And no one (not even the same 3-5 people that were standing around for 10, 15, 20 mins) offered to help her out with her other tables- including the manager?! Other paying guests should not suffer because of an every-man-for-himself-attitude and I told him so. He apologized again and said that he would credit us on some of our bill and bring us a free desert. Even his response was canned and I couldn't help but think that this wasn't the answer to the problem. I wasn't sure if, since she had such a large table elsewhere, she wasn't concerned with her other guests or if she was just frustrated that the rest of the restaurant team wouldn't help out but her attitude about any of it and her manager's handling of it were just disappointing. By now, we were late to our movie.

I have other small complaints that after going twice, were issues both times: slightly overcooked shrimp, weak cocktails, 3 of the cocktails featured on the small menu are raspberry based- how about some variety?; and both times, they were "out of" the desert we wanted. They were also out of something to make the first cocktail I requested (Asian Pear Tini). I was also confused at the fact that for this second visit, we called beforehand to make a reservation and were told that they didn't take reservations but on our first visit, we were told that a certain table we wanted had been reserved.

These things were overlooked the first time because of the good food and service but in reading some of the other reviews, if the service isn't tightened up, this restaurant is likely to fail in a southern town full of hospitality. A restaurant is more than food and drink. The service will make or break it. The young ladies staffing Wasabi 88 need some better leadership, it seems.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Virginia Beach
“Surprising Quality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I recently visited the new Wasabi 88, and I have to say I was impressed. The decor was very tasteful, and the food was exceptional. The espresso rubbed steak was far better than most steaks I've had in steak houses, and the "nachos" were incredible. We couldn't stop eating them. Very fresh, very unique, and very tasty! This place does get very crowded though, so be prepared to wait. We waited 20 minutes on a Thursday night.

Visited January 2013