“Not What I expected” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Greenville
Lewisville, Texas
“Not What I expected”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this property the first week of June 2012. We were in the area to visit my sister and her family. My nephew was going through chemo . We were satisfied with the 1 bedroom suite we stayed in. We were traveling with our mini dachshund that weighs about 13 pounds. During our stay, when approximately 4 feet away from our door, a guest across the hall opened his door with his dog. He dropped the leash and his dog (approximately 40 pounds) attacked our dog. It was so scary; I could not even see our dog. My husband had to pull his dog off our dog and all we could hear was her crying. The other guest had his dog on a retractable leash. The other guest went down to the front desk and said our dog attacked his dog. How amazing that a 13 pound dog would be capable of attacking a 40 pound dog! I also went down to talk to them and mentioned the type of leash that he was using because you have no control with those types of leashes. The staff never apologized or talked to them about the leash. I was so glad to get out of there. I never let my dog walk inside by herself again during our stay.

We went back to this property on August 24th and checked out on August 30th. The trip was to attend my nephew's funeral. I made the reservation through the central number. I am a platinum member of priority club which entitles me to a free upgrade. The reservationist stated that I should not have a problem getting a one bedroom using the upgrade but to call a day prior to check-in. When I called, I was first told that they did not have any 1 bedrooms available because there was a football game at the university that weekend. I knew that wasn't true because my brother is an alumni member goes to all the home games and that there wasn't a games until labor day weekend. They told me that some people would be checking in early. We were leaving on Thursday and they stuck by their story. I asked my brother if people would be checking in that early and he said no. They then put me through to the manager and she stated that they do not allow pets in their 1 bedrooms. This is not stated on their website. I explained that I would be staying for a week and that the reason for the stay was for a funeral. She said they were under new management and couldn't allow it. I called guest services at priority club and was told that they should have updated their web page if that is their rules.

I could have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express with my pets which would have been a lot closer to my sister and would have had the same amount of space. I will not be staying at this property again. They should state on their web page that pets are only allowed in their regular rooms that way people traveling with pets are not deceived.

Room Tip: Pets not truly allowed.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
fow, Owner at Candlewood Suites Greenville NC, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Candlewood Suites. I am sorry for the loss of your nephew and hope your next visit to family in Greenville will be a much happier time. We enjoyed having you and your pet and do apologize for not being able to provide the room up grade you requested.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Clinton, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I actually like Candlewood Suites and other extended stay hotels, but they do not offer breakfast in a day and age when most hotels do. Additionally, the room was not that nice. The furniture was old and non-contemporary, and the couch had a big, nasty stain on it that housekeeping didn't even bother to conceal by flipping the pillows on the other side. Perhaps the side shown was best of the two sides...who knows. I didn't even bother to check after seeing that! Additionally, there was HAIR in the refrigerator (?????). After seeing the problems with the room, I was creeped out for the remainder of the night and kept feeling as though creepy, crawly things were all over me. They likely were not, but I felt like it! And as a result, I got absolutely NO SLEEP. For these reasons, I would never stay there again.

Room Tip: Your guess to getting a good room is as good as mine!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
fow, Owner at Candlewood Suites Greenville NC, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Please tell me you reported your disappointment to our Guest Service Representative so we can take proactive measures to solve this problem. If not please give our GM a call to receive my personal telephone number. I want to know what room you were in so we can pinpoint this problem. Thank you for your candid response.
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

My wife's mother had some serious health issues in NC. We live in MD. I stayed here while my wife went to her mother. We had some issues with the hospital which looked like we needed to make last minute changes to the room. I was handling all of this from MD. Joanie and Melody, at the front desk, worked with me in making the changes and then having to cancel those changes due to changes at the hospital. They were incredibly helpful and pleasant in working with me. They went above and beyond the call of duty in making the best of the confusing hospital situation. My wife was very stressed and they helped to relieve a lot of her stress. They are remarkable representatives of Candlewood, which is now high on my list.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
fow, Owner at Candlewood Suites Greenville NC, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Thank you. It is nice to hear that our staff are making our guest happy. I will make sure they read this review.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

This was the worst suites hotel I have ever seen. Although we had a reservation, we walked in, looked at the filthy room, and walked out. The place smells like a high school biology lab-- can't imagine what kind of chemicals they use to clean. Plenty of better suites hotels in the area at the same price. The Hampton inn is always reliable.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
I am so concerned about your experience at the Candlewood Suites. Please call the hotel at 252-317-3000 and ask the General Manager for my phone number. Please give me a call so I can personally talk to you and get your recommendations for improvement in service at our hotel. I look forward to hearing from you.
Aldie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I booked this room late and was exceedingly pleased to note my room's size, amenitites, cleanliness, layout, and very helpful staff. The pillows are remarkable and the kind reservation/lobby associates were very helpful in researching how I could purchase the pillows for personal use. I appreciate your staff taking my name to inform me of any cancellations for an already booked homecoming weekend. I look forward to continued stays at your facilities during my daughter's tenure at a local university. Great job Candlewood Suites!

Marshall S Major
Aldie, VA

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your wonderful comments.
Johnson City, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

This was a stopover on the way to the beach. Were not looking for much. The rooms were nice, well stocked, almost weekly stay type rooms. Staff were nice, everything worked. But the main thing is we left a bag full of Rx Medications, called to let them know and when we came back through about 10 days later they had them ready for us and nothing was missing. Pretty amazing. Big medical center close, several restaurants. Overall nice experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Owner at Candlewood Suites Greenville NC, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Thank you for your kind words. We look forward to seeing you again next year on your way to the beach.
Plymouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

When my new employer offered to put me up for the first month of my relocation, I was very worried the digs would be less than great... enter Candlewood suites. Upon check-in they didn't have a record of my direct bill, but the staff was very helpful and explained I shouldn't worry about it, that it was their oversight and they would handle everything.

The check-in lady was extremely helpful, knowing I was new to the South- and let me know if there was anything she or anyone else on staff could do the help my transition be more smooth, not to hesitate to ask. (free washers and dryers too!)

The room was spotless, with granite countertops in kitchen and bath, nice furnature, soft sheets and pillows, and a nice flat screen TV. Only complaint is the TV is bolted to the dresser and I could not move it forward to hide stuff like my printer behind it... no big.

I have very much enjoyed the gas grill out on the patio, and spending a bit of time every once in a while with other travelers out there. On the weekends there is always a few folks either using the char or gas grill, and enjoying a beer while they do it. Great chance to keep from going crazy when you are all alone for a month. They also have a great little store inside that has free coffee and a bunch of other very reasonably priced items- eggs, cereal, sodas, microwave and packaged meals.

In closing I will simply add that the staff has been a great asset to me in the past several weeks. I have spent time sitting in the lobby in front of the desk watching the big screen and chatting about the south, Greenville, and attached cities. I have learned more here from the staff about the area, restaurants and local events than I have at work. When I had a small problem with my door key, the maintenance man that came over to fix it was such a gentleman and so helpful, it was like he was sent over from central casting. All in all a really great experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bed in it and you will do fine. :-)
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
You are so kind. I wish we had a hotel full of Guest like you. You are what makes our jobs rewarding.

Been to Candlewood Suites Greenville NC? Share your experiences!