“Very Disappointed Pick for Queens Week” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Nick's Steak and Tap House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 197 Restaurants in Gastonia
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Very Disappointed Pick for Queens Week”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

This was our first time to Nick's in Gastonia. It was the Queen's Restaurant Week, we made reservations during the week. We walked in a few minutes before time...the first bad sign was the hostess was on her cell phone. We had to wait until she put it down. She sent us up 2 flights of stairs, then once up there, another short set up stairs. We were at the very top of the balcony, the furthest away. Finally someone came for our drink order, she wanted to go ahead and take our food order as well. Can't much blame her, she was trying to save steps. They seated a couple behind us. When this guy came by, they told them that their table was rocky. There were plenty of tables around, but instead he took all of the stuff off of their table and tried to turn it over to fix it. Finally the girl asked if they could move to another table. He pointed to a table which had only 1 chair, so the girl carried her own chair down the steps to her new table. We got our drinks and bread plates. Then our salads came. I had the strawberry and goat cheese salad. Something was old, I could not pin point it, it tasted dirty. Then it had a pile of sautéed onions on top, to me it just didn't go together. I tried my husbands salad which was a wedge salad, it had too many items going on as well...they had cranberries, which I think really made it sweet and took away from the smokey bacon. Did I mention that we never received our bread? The entrees came we both had the ribeye steaks, which had a pile of pimento cheese on it. It really took away from the steak, was easy enough to scrape off. The meat was very fatty. The sweet potato soufflé was very good, the fried squash, had to many taste going on I did not eat. We had finished our meal, and good thing there was a movie, we sat for some time before the waitress ever came back to see how we were doing. We told her we were done. She said she would get the dessert. Well, I can not say just how long that took, but everyone around us that came it after us, was leaving. We finally got our dessert, strawberry shortcake....it was really good, the one she gave my husband had turned over and came apart by the time she made it upstairs. We told her that was fine, we couldn't imagine how long it would take to replace it. We had to ask for more water as she was going by. To top it all off, once we did get to leave there were people hanging out front all smoking, so when you opened the door to go out you were hit in the face by the smoke, Wow, I was really glad to go home...for $85.00 I think we will stick with the Charlotte restaurants next time.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Clearwater, Florida, United States
“Decent but too pricy....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I went to Nick's with a relative from the area...... The food was decent; however, the price was not! We did a "special deal", but after all was said and done, the bill was 80.00! In my opinion, it should have been 50.00 tops! The waiter was very good, nice decor, but for a "taphouse"...... Overpriced!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Gastonia, North Carolina
“Have tried about the last time”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My family is from Gastonia, and we have ate at Nick's probably 8-10 times since they have been open. In a nutshell, three things stick out: (1) This place has definate potential, but consistently underwhelms, (2) the owner continues to change the menu, so you don't know what you can order, or how it may be prepared, and (3) every experience has been up and down. We want this place to succeed, and have continued to offer our suggestions and critiques (both good and bad) to management. They seem to listen, and often agree, but we have had enough poor experiences to likely not go back again. Service has usually been fine, but it's the kitchen (chef) that disapoints. They need to learn the basics, like seasoning side dishes, steak temperatures, not overcooking delicate fish and scallops, etc. Also, quit changing the menu items or the way they are prepared! Be consistent!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Could be so much better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

What makes this really bad is that we're from this town. My wife and I rarely eat in town because they're just not many decent restaurants that aren't a chain. Heard of this place and had hopes it might be a "go to" place for us instead of going to Charlotte. The place has potential. We liked the idea of its location and it being in an old theatre but that's about where it stops. We were sat up in the balcony area where it was about 85 at least. Beer was cold, salad was good. We both ordered steaks. Wife's fillet looked about the size of a fifty cent price and was overcooked. Ribeye for me and it was also a little overcooked and very chewy. I've learned long ago not to send things back unless I'm in Del Friscos or Sullivan's. but, if I were in there I wouldn't be sending it back. Service here was good for us and I will give it one more try but to keep us coming back they'd better bring it up a few notches.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
North Carolina
“Terrible service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We live about an hour way, and visited Nick's once last year. That experience was great. Now for a special occasion we decide to go back - big mistake! Order medium steak on my steak salad. For this salad, the steak is sliced into a few pieces of small medallions which are fanned across the top of the salad - presentation was good and quantity of food was what I expected. But instead of medium the steak was glaringly rare, which was obvious by sight alone. There was no 'warm pink center' that you expect for medium. Sent it back - chef apologized. Then myriad other mishaps capped off the evening: no bread basket - had to ask for it. Husband's salad never arrived with his meal. SLOW service. Manager came out an apologized and gave us complimentary desserts. We should not have accepted, but should have asked for adjustment in price instead. Oh well - lesson learned. We won't be back there again.

• Visited June 2013