“An authentic BBQ experience...” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Takeout
Central Coast, CA
“An authentic BBQ experience...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

I travel the country a fair amount and always enjoy trying BBQ as it varies so much by region. I drove over to Black's yesterday, and walked into a place that was staffed by friendly people and had a decor that probably hadn't changed in years - including the handwash sink in the dining room! I ordered the beef sandwich, fries/onion ring combo and an RC (Yessir an RC!). I should have taken the gentleman's advice and stuck with potato chips as the unique taste of the sandwich with the sauce and slaw was somewhat overpowered by the fried stuff. In the west, when you order a sandwich with slaw, it comes as a mound often served open face. Here, the slaw is a subtle addition to a tangy yet slightly hot sauce. I love places like Black's, no frills, great food, great service and great folks. I will certainly head back next time I'm in Gastonia. Like some other joints in the area, they offer car service as well!

• Visited June 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Eden, North Carolina
“Great BBQ!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

When I was dating my now husband, he lived with his parents over in the are where Black's is located. We were out riding the 4-wheeler and got hungry so we rode it over to Black's. The food was fabulous! Loved the BBQ sandwich with slaw! Their slaw is different and so good! The BBQ was Carolina style not smothered in thick sauce but more on the vinegary side! Loved It!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“It is probably my favorite place to eat, ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2008

It is probably my favorite place to eat, ever!