“Bed Bugs??” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Garner
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Bed Bugs??”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

It has been a week since I checked into the Garner Econo Lodge, Sunday, November 7th, for two nights. It was around 5:00 in the afternoon and the lady at the desk was very nice and accommodating. My room was nice and clean; what I would expect from an Econo Lodge price. However, when I woke up the next morning, I had seven tiny raised, red, itchy bumps in a row on one arm and two bites on the other arm. I got ready for work and packed up my things and put them in my car. When I told the guy at the service desk about the bites and showed them to him, he was taken aback. I asked to speak to the manager but she would not be in until 8:00. After getting to work, I called the manager who at first said the room was cleaned and that no one had reported any bugs. She said that they would get an exterminator to check out the room. I had no time to check into another hotel so she gave me another room-which I had no problems with. I immediately started putting hydrocortisone cream on the bumps and am now taking benedryl. This whole situation was unnerving but because of my job, I had no time to worry about it. Just a few words to travelers who stay in hotels, pull the covers back and check thoroughly for bedbugs! These bites are hard to prove as bedbug bites but I feel strongly that those critters got me!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
NC140, Manager at Econo Lodge South Garner, responded to this review, May 5, 2011
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us. We do take such matters extremely seriously and I can assure you that we have taken swift and drastic measure to ensure that our hotel is bug free. After you contacted the hotel, we immediately notified a professional exterminating service to thoroughly inspect the room for bed bugs. They also imspected other rooms and I am very happy to tell you that we have not found any bed bugs in our hotel.

However, as a result of your concerns, we have provided extra training to our housekeeping staff to prevent any occurance of bed bugs. All of our new hires are thoroughly trained in bed bugs.Furthermore, our managemnt regularly inspects each room to ensure that we provide clean, comfortable and bug free accommodations.

We would love for you to give us opportunity so that you may see first hand the quality and value we provide to our guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

I had a business meeting in Raleigh and stayed at this venue. I requested a non smoking room for the overnight stay. When I opened the door to my room there was a strong scent of cigarette smoke. It was horrible. I went to the front desk clerk to indicate they made a mistake and had given me a smoking room. They assured me it was a non smoking room. Due to the scent I requested another room but was told there were no other "non smoking" rooms. The desk manager suggested spraying the room and he did. Quite honestly the spray did not help. What irritated me even more is that I laid my clothes out for the morning meeting and apparently my clothes absorbed the scent and wreaked of cigarette smoke. Days later my outer jacket still has the smell in it. It was totally disgusting.

Additionally my bed felt like I was sleeping on a bed of bricks. I was totally exhausted in the meeting because of the lack of sleep. I wish I had chosen a different hotel.

• Liked — the proximity to the restaurants and my meeting location
  • Disliked — I hated the smell of cigarettes in my room.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2007

I stayed here with my mom & son 8/9/07-8/12/07 while visiting family. This hotel is now Econo Lodge. I have stayed here a couple of times over the past 10 years when it was Comfort Inn. Now that it is Econo Lodge the exterior looks nice. The rooms are a bit outdated but it did have a microwave & refrig. There is a small swimming pool it looked clean. I didn't get a chance to use it but there was never anyone in it. Here are the pros and cons:
Pros - 1. Great location (alot of restaurants and
shopping centers nearby) Easy access to US 70 &
I40/440.
2. Price
3. The staff were friendly

Cons - 1. Pillows were very flat
2. We had to ask for extra towels everyday that we
were there. It was 3 of us and they only left a 2
sets. They never had a problem giving us extra
towels.
3. The remote control for the TV was missing the
back cover. Tape was holding the batteries which
made it difficult to turn.
4. The first night we were there the bathtub would
not hold water for me to give my son a bath.
They did fix it the next day.
5. Not much of a continetial breakfast. I brought my
own food and used the micro/fridge in the room.

I would not recommend staying here for a vacation. I probably would stay again for a day or two.

• Liked — Location, Micro/Refrig in room
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Northern Vermont
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2006

We made a reservation to stay at this hotel for one night, but when we got there, we decided not to stay. The neighborhood was a little run down, and the exterior of the hotel looked rather shabby. I looked at the room, and while it seemed clean and tidy, all the furnishings and fixtures were second-rate. But the overriding factor in deciding to leave was the overwhelming smell of--I'm not sure what--deodorizer or cleaning products. I knew that if we stayed in that room, all our belongings would take on that scent. So we moved on.

• Stayed November 2006
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2006

I stayed here with my husband and 3yr old son Memorial Day Weekend 2005. It was quiet in a good location to shopping and restaurants. All rooms have microwaves/refrig. The continental breakfast was not that good some of the bread was molded. It was ok for the price you pay.

• Stayed May 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2005

We stasyed at the Comfort Inn South in Garner, NC and during our stay about eight people in their late teens/early twenties literally began rioting in the hotel. They were running through the halls screaming and cursing, playing music wide open, and terrifying everyone in the hotel. They banged on our room door hard enough to rattle it in its frame screaming at my wife, "I want to --- that -----!" This sort of behavior continued till 3:00am despite repeated calls to the desk who refused to do anything! The people in the room next to us told me their 10 yr old was so frightened by them she cried herself to sleep.

Been to Econo Lodge South Garner? Share your experiences!